“Great hotel but needs soundproofing!”

The Grand Hotel Tralee
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Tralee
Reviewed December 7, 2006

On checking in I wasn't expecting much. I just needed somewhere to stay the night. When I went to my room I was pleasantly surprised. It was big enough for two and the bathroom was nice and big.

I ended up having to stay TWO extra nights due to work commitments and this was no problem. I had breakfast in my room 2 out of the 3 mornings. It was lovely but both mornings the milk was missing. I've developed quite a fondness for black tea now.

The reception staff were lovely, the housekeeping staff very nice. The room I have to say was spotlessly clean.

Now to the one HUGE problem. The noise! I can't quite remember what room I was in but I'm pretty sure it was 102. Up the stairs, first on the right. I realised very early on there was a group of lads staying across the corridor. I could hear them talking in THEIR room. There was a huge gap under my door that let the light and noise streaming in. In the morning I could hear every little noise on the corridor from the lads getting up and going out to work.
The Tuesday night was the worst. A disco of some sort was on in the ballroom (I heard this from the lads talking in their room!). The noise was unbearable until 3am. GREAT if you have to be at work at 8am.

I loved the Grand as a hotel but to use it as a base when you have early starts in the morning it may not be the best idea. If you're on a break and can press the snooze button then go for it.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed October 28, 2006

Location
The Grand Hotel is located on Denny St; the best street in Tralee by far. The street is broad with Georgian terraces leading down to the County Museum with the Slieve Mish mountains behind. However, (and it pains me to say - as my grandmother came from here) Tralee is not a very attractive town and can be “lively” at weekends in the negative sense.

Check in
Extremely friendly, helpful and efficient. Free newspapers. The best experience in a week in Ireland.

Ambiance
Old world and relaxed. Lots of dark wood and real fires (it was October!).

Room(s)
We had two! The first stank of tobacco (108). We asked for an alternative but this was at the back where rooms seem to be smaller (102). It also was next to the hotel's ventilation plant or similar – so it would have been noisy. We stayed with the tobacco ridden room hoping the smell would abate with plenty of ventilation, unfortunately it didn't. For the second night we asked to be moved to another room and chose a room at the front on the second floor (211) which was not afflicted by tobacco smoke. It also seemed to be a bit more spacious as it was a twin (108 had a double and a single bed in it). Overall all rooms seen were a little dated with lots of old dark furniture and headboards. Make sure you ask for a room at the front!

Bathroom
Bath with shower over (shower pressure low in 211). Perfectly serviceable with soaps and shampoos etc but also rather dated. Adequate towels.

Cleaning
Room and bathroom were cleaned to a good standard.

Breakfast
Excellent, served in a delightful, grand room. Great service and super vegetarian breakfast option.

Car Parking
A definite minus point. Parking was on the street and costs 1.20 euros per hour. You have to keep the meter fed between 9.30am and 5.30pm. There is a multi-storey car park (next to Tesco) 5/7 minutes away that costs 3.50 euros for the day. Not very convenient.

Leisure facilities
None close by, but the bar has a great atmosphere. It must be the most comfortable place to drink in Tralee.

Pros
Staff
Breakfast
Pleasant location and ambiance
Bar
Cleanliness
Reasonable cost of rooms.

Cons
Car parking costs
Dated rooms and fixtures
Smoking permitted in all rooms! This is ridiculous as the hotel has 44 rooms.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank histman
Reviewed October 3, 2006

My family is a regular visitor to the Grand Hotel when visiting Kerry. I love the feel of a small hotel where I am known by name and not by a room number. The restuarant and bar menu both offer excellent choices of fresh food. I especially love the soups and the home baking. The bedrooms are a little on the small size, but are adequate for my family's needs. They are spotless, which is more important than size. The bar is a beautiful room with an old mahogony counter and memorabilia from a different time decorating the wall. The hotel is right in the middle of town so we can walk right onto the street. The staff have always been friendly and most helpful. Last February the warmth of the open fire greeted us in the lobby after touring each day. I would definitely stay there again. I have recommended this hotel to many of my friends.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 17, 2006

Everything about this hotel is only ok. The rooms are very tired looking and not without problems - the lock on our door was broken and the shower was little more than a dribble.
But the major problem is with the noise from the nightclub. We were informed at reception there would be "some" noise from a 21st disco that night. "Some" noise means forget sleeping before 3am on friday or saturday nights and expect the walls and bed in your room to shake with the music.

On the positive side the dinner we had was excellent and breakfast was nice.

If like me you don't travel light you will have great fun climbing stairs with your heavy case as there is no lift and no offer of help!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank missdruidsglen
Reviewed August 20, 2006

We booked our room from the Hotel's webiste. Then immediately found it for half the price on laterooms. Rather than pay the hotel's £12 cancellation fee and re-book through laterooms we thought they'd match the laterooms rate if we pointed this out. Oh no.

Our room was on the small side. It was supposed to be a 'superior' room - I'd dread to see a normal. The extractor fans for the kitchens were outside our window - so the double whammy of no view and noise. The best bit was the bathroom though. There was barely room to get in, having to squeeze between the toilet and the door. Once in, there wasn't space to stand behind the sink.

We pointed out the room's deficiencies and were greeted with apathy. To be fair, the breakfast wasn't bad. But that's about as good as it got.

• Stayed: August 2006
2  Thank AlanLupton
Reviewed August 15, 2006

The Grand Hotel is a lovely hotel to stay in. We go there regularly every year as a base for travelling abound kerry from and visiting relatives. Dick the manager is very nice and always welcomes us personally and the staff are very friendly.. The food is great and the breakfasts wonderful. The bar food is very good value for money as is the restaurant. The evening entertainment in the bar is very lively especially on a Friday evening. If you are a guest you an stay in the bar as long as you like. Ask for the front bedrooms which are large mostly with twin and single bed in. We always ask for our rooms in advance and are always given the requested rooms.

We are going there again in a couple of weeks and would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone. A gem of a hotel.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled with family
1  Thank MPL
Reviewed July 26, 2006

This is the second time in three years I have taken a golf vacation to The Grand Hotel Tralee and I plan many returns. This hotel represents everything positive in a stay in Ireland. The staff is friendly and attentive. The rooms are clean and well maintained. The hotel restaurant is complete and reasonable with numerous dinner choices and a complete breakfast selection. The hotel pub is one of the best I have ever seen. Since Tralee is not the bus destination like Killarney, the bar has a true local flavor. It has a beautiful mahoganay interior with plenty of seating and on many nights traditional Irish music. If you close your eyes you could picture Michael Collins discussing the Free Republic with his lads.

If you are looking for a place that is not a cookie cutter place but is truly part of the country, this is the place for you.

Stayed: June 2006