“The best kept secret in Kerry”

Ballygarry House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Tralee
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I have travelled many parts of the world and stayed in many hotels but I can't understand how I missed out on Ballygarry House in all the years and it being almost on my doorstep. We stayed there for our 30th wedding anniversary on St Patrick's weekend and it was a fantastic experience. From the minute we arrived we experienced the friendliness and welcome of a great staff. The food was fantastic, from the bar food to the breakfast and to the sumptuous dinner which we raved about. It's also an ideal base from which to explore the beauty of Kerry. We did the Dingle peninsula, stopping off for a walk on the inspiring beach at Stradbally (Castlegregory) and it was great to return to our very comfortable room and a mouth watering dinner that evening and then enjoy a quiet drink in the bar. We were sad leaving but definitely will return very soon.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Breenyje
MrP_McGillicuddy, Owner at Ballygarry House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, and for choosing to stay with us on your anniversary. It is lovely to read your very kind words which I appreciate. I am delighted that we were part of your special occasion and I have passed this review on for all of my team to read.

I hope to see you again very soon,

Warm wishes,
Padraig

Write a ReviewReviews (1,532)

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I've stayed at The Ballygarry Hotel at least 8 times over the past 5 years and it never fails to be anything other than a wonderful place to stay.
The bedrooms and bathrooms are very comfortable and the food is wonderful.
Many of the staff have worked there for years (which is a good sign in itself) and they always remember us.
The public areas and gardens are beautiful and if you didn't want to go out you could spend a lovely day in the hotel, choosing a book from the extensive library, sitting and walking in the gardens, or in the Nadur Spa. The relaxation room is so cosy and overlooks the Kerry mountains.
I'm amazed that anyone could find fault with the Ballygarry ..... but, that's fine as it means there will always be a room for me there! I intend to return to this 'home from home' hotel many more times in the future.
Thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely review, and for returning to stay with us.

The headline really caught my eye! I appreciate you taking the time to detail your stay with us and I have your review on display for all of our staff to see.

I hope to see you back here again very soon to stay,

Best wishes,
Padraig

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I do my research before I stay in a hotel and when I saw the great reviews for this hotel I said I had to go with it. Myself and my fiance decided to book a standard room but when I went to book it I chose to spend 50% more and get a junior suite as a surprise as her birthday was coming up. So i was looking forward to seeing her reaction when we got to our room. And what a let down it was. This review could have got full marks if I stayed with a standard room but the fact I forked out 50% more on a "junior suite" my review is based on that. I'll break it down with the hotels description of the room

Choose from our 12 spacious Junior Suites
- featuring a bay window - Yes it had a bay window
- some of which overlook our beautifully landscaped gardens - yes we got one of them but you couldn't enjoy the gardens because when you look out the window you can see straight into other rooms and they can see straight into your.
- King sized bed - I wouldn't call 2 single beds pushed together with a gap in the center a king sized bed.
- relaxing lounge area with couches - basically a couch in the a room like most hotel rooms.
- Plasma TV, DVD player and stereo - The TV was so small you'd have to squint to watch it from the bed
- Luxurious bathrooms are equipped with bath and shower, heated towel rails - Basically just a standard bathroom with a shower and bath.
- fluffy white bathrobes and slippers - More like sandpaper white bathrobes.

From the description I was expecting this amazing room. Yet my fiance didn't even realise we were in a "junior suite". She just thought it was a nice room not knowing I paid extra. I actually had to check to make sure I got the suite I was that unsure. I have stayed in hotels all over the world and this "junior suite" wasn't anything special and standard rooms in most hotels would offer the same as this "junior suite" here.

I was really disappointed and as mentioned above maybe if I just stuck with the standard room the review might have been different. But it make me wonder what they were like since the "junior suite" was so basic.

I really wanted to like the hotel and there were parts that I did. The breakfast was really nice and great spread. We had dinner in the bar and my fiance never finishes a dinner and it was that good I'd say she would have had seconds. I really enjoyed mine as well. The staff were very friendly and helpful. It was great you could rent DVDs. Checkout was almost so easy but they charged me €10 for the dvds when it was only to be a deposit but that was quickly fixed when I realised the mistake. The outdoor hot tub was nice but other than that I wouldn't use the spa. I'm more about the pool.
The location was good and the old feel of the hotel was also nice.

Overall I would not be back to stay, I might stop for food but the disappoint of the room means I wouldn't recommend upgrading to anyone and not sure what the standard room would be like.

Room Tip: Do waste your money on getting a "junior suite"
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
MrP_McGillicuddy, Owner at Ballygarry House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed review and the positive aspects of it, we are very proud of our food and staff.

In my role as proprietor I must investigate the negatives and where justified take it on the chin, however our rooms have been newly refurbished and they qualify for 5 star classification. Our Junior Suites are one of our most popular room types and are priced at a 20 euro supplement per person per night. All of our room windows are both screened and have curtains for privacy and our beds are king sized.

I do hope you will visit Kerry again in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Just returned from a fabulous weekend at Ballygarry House Hotel & Spa.
Reception staff so friendly and helpful: the bedrooms are huge, so bright and clean
with lovely views out over the gardens: dining room and staff fabulous, the food was
all so fresh and well cooked, and the value for money excellent. Spa was luxurious
and the staff so professional and friendly. Definitely recommend for a fantastic
weekend/mid week get away. Keep up the fantastic service.

Room Tip: Rooms looking out over the beautiful gardens
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear JoeyWexfordIreland,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your stay with us. I appreciate you taking the time to write your experience with us. I will pass on the glowing report to all staff involved and look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I'll start by saying that we'll definitely be returning!

Location:
The hotel is located outside the town of Tralee, it was extremely easy to reach by motorway and the scenery is beautiful.

The Spa:

The Spa oozes luxury and relaxation. Service overall is excellent, although there was one or two members of staff who let the rest of the friendly, hardworking team down with rather surly attitudes. We were made to feel extremely welcome for the most part and would certainly recommend it. Included in our package was free access to the thermal suite and relaxation room.

The thermal suite is comprised of a wet steam room, which was heavenly! A sauna, two experience showers and an outdoor heated hot tub. Guests are asked to wear the provided robes down to the spa which is on the ground floor of the hotel and is accessible by lift from the upper floors. Clothing in the thermal suite is swimming attire or suitable underwear. Most women wore bikinis/swimming costumes, while the men wore long shorts.

The relaxation room is really the crowning glory of the spa in that you can relax all day here looking out at the views of Tralee, wrapped up in a warm blanket reading a good book. And we did! All that was missing from here was the availability of tea or coffee for those wanting to settle down for a few hours.

The changing area was fantastic. It is spotlessly clean, has two excellent, private showers, lockers, hairdryers and even a straightener. The Voya products provided in the showers and at the sinks were an added bit of luxury, as were the thick fluffy towels.

The bar:
The staff in the bar were extremely friendly and efficient. The food was outstanding.We paid around €20 each for a main course, desert and tea afterwards. Everyone in the bar was very welcoming and certainly gave an excellent impression of Tralee and its people.

Dinner in the restaurant:
Mixed feelings about this. The tables for two were oddly long and it was quite difficult to have a conversation without feeling like you really had to raise your voice to be heard. Service was efficient and the food overall, was excellent. Our package included dinner and we noted that our menus were different from those who obviously didn't have a similar package. Our menu was more restricted but still, we thoroughly enjoyed the food. However, we had a much more relaxing experience in the bar and enjoyed the atmosphere there to a greater extent.

Breakfast:
Breakfast was buffet style. There were pancakes, a full Irish, cereals, yogurts, baked goods, juices etc available. The breakfast was standard fare, although again, the service was very good.

The room:
The room was clean, the beds comfortable and the facilities as you would expect. We weren't blown away by the room. It wasn't quite in keeping with the luxury of the spa but it was more than adequate for our purposes.

Overall, we had an extremely enjoyable experience and would highly recommend a visit to the hotel if you are in the area. You'll certainly receive some excellent Irish hospitality!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear SassIreland,

Thank you for taking the time to write your detailed review. It was lovely to read it through and see the appreciation that you have for all aspects of the hotel. I am delighted to see that you will be returning and thank you for the recommendation.

Best wishes,

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed here 7 years ago and again March 14th. The hotel has not changed (thankfully). Beautiful dental and crown molding through out. It is warm, inviting and the staff are excellent. There is a cozy bar with a fire in the grate and soccer matches on Sky TV. Great food and breakfast, comfortable, clean and modern room. The shower was one of the best in Ireland. Perfect accommodations!

Room Tip: I do not think there is a bad room in this lovely hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 2wego

Dear 2wego,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I appreciate you sharing your kind words about all the aspects that you enjoyed. I have passed them on to all staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Ballygarry House again in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Average four star. Clean, friendly. The thing we found limiting after spending 3 nights was the food available. It's a drive to go anywhere else so sometimes you want to relax in for the night. The bar food is completely over priced. €20-26 for main courses and expensive sandwiches were all you could have. The bar menu is basically the same as the restaurant menu, so the night we ate in there it was abit disappointing. The food is average at the prices they charge. Sea food chowder was delicious. Green curry- too salty. Chicken- dry. Nice gardens and walks. Rooms good standard. Overall good average but wouldn't be rushing back...

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us. I appreciate you sharing your experience and I am happy to read your overall positive review.

I have noted your comments about the food but our food differs in the restaurant and bar through content presentation and price. However there are certain times of the year where we are limited with certain cuts of meat and fish supplies which are dependant on weather.

The overall feedback which we receive is that it is in general our food represents good value for money, however as this was not your experience on this occasion we extend our thanks to you for sharing your thoughts with us.

Kindest regards,