“Wonderful, relaxing weekend”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Tralee
Cork, Ireland
“Wonderful, relaxing weekend”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed here for a birthday, girls night, one night B&B. Very welcoming friendly staff. We spent the day in the spa - it was beautiful, very relaxing, had two treatments each and the therapists were brilliant and very professional. Dinner and brekfast were delicious, and the staff were very friendly, efficient and helpful. We were extremely well looked after. The birthday girl even got surprised with candles and birthday wishes in her dessert, and we all got complimentary champagne! Really made the night special! There was a wedding on the same night, and we heard no noise or disturbances - everything was perfect! Went for a lovely walk in Ballyseedy wood the next morning - beautiful location. Overall, would really recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
PMcGillicuddyGM, Owner at Ballygarry House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Raspberrie12,

Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read your glowing review of the things are so very important to us, and which we hope did make your stay memorable.

Our staff are regularly complimented and they will be delighted to read this latest review.

I do hope to welcome you back to Ballygarry House again soon.

Padraig McGillicuddy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed here for two night break. Very welcoming friendly staff. Our room was top class very warm and comfortable with a beautiful view over the gardens. We had dinner there in the restaurant which has a great atmosphere. Food was excellent. Only incident that occurred was we got trapped in lift going up to second floor for about 6 minutes until manager came and reassured us he would reset it. However I found it frightening and was afraid to use the lift for rest of stay.We had bar food on second evening and again it was excellent. Fires were lit in both the lounge and reception area from 10 am which made one want to sit down and relax all day. Ballyseedy wood is close by and we enjoyed a lovely autumnal walk there. I would highly recommend this hotel for its coziness, olf fashioned ambience and excellent food.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking garden lovely and perhaps on first floor!!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank marymccaberogan
PMcGillicuddyGM, Owner at Ballygarry House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Marymccaberogan,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us. I am very happy to read your positive review, and of course send my sincere apologies for the experience with the lift. We have an ongoing service contract with Midwestern Lifts who were immediately called to investigate this to ensure that it does not happen again. I have spoken with them about this and expressed my extreme dissapointment that you had this experience.

I am glad that you enjoyed everything else with us, and I do hope you will revisit again soon.

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed October 30, 2012

This is a marvellous hotel,. beautiful accommodation, lovely surroundings, friendly and efficient staff and quality food. What more could you ask for? We found it by chance on the internet and will certainly be recommending it to our family and friends. The guests are extremely well looked after. We booked one nights B&B and evening meal but asked for a deal for a second night and were pleasantly surprised by how accommodating the staff were. This hotel has got it right!

Room Tip: The views over the mountains are stunning. Ask for one of these rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Brendan M,

Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely review. I have passed your kind words on to all of our staff.
I am delighed to read that you will be recommending us to your friends and family, and I do hope you will get to revisit yourself shortly!

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We recently returned from a two night stay at Ballygarry House Hotel & Spa in Tralee. The hotel itself was warm and inviting and the rooms comfortable and well maintained. On arrival we received a pleasant welcoming from one of the front office staff. We brought our two year old son with us as last minute decision but the hotel were happy to accommodate, and had a travel cot awaiting us in the room. There was a relaxing lobby area and drawing room for guests and general public alike with warm fires and soft seating. The bar was welcoming and cosy, and served delicious homemade food, and reasonably priced I will add.

Unfortunately, the mood quickly changed shortly after we settled our son to bed. What seemed to have erupted out of nowhere was a formula one type race on the main road with at least three vehicles. The cars were so modified the noise can only be described as frightening. This obviously awoken our son and terrified him. This appalling disturbance continued for a long period of time. It posed no sign of ending, leaving us with no other choice but to report it to reception. I explained our situation to the porter on duty, and he informed me that he had known what was going on and admitted that it was exceptionally loud. He also informed that he had been considering calling the guards.
Needless to say we did not have much luck in settling our son back to sleep that night. I expected to receive contact from some member of staff the following day, just to let me know that they followed up on the incident or possibly I wanted reassurance that it would no occur for a second night but not one member of staff acknowledged it. I'm not the type of person that would kick up a fuss or demant to be moved, but I feel I should have been contacted in some shape or form.
The second evening before dinner I decided to enquire with reception and the lady told me that she had been informed of the racing on the road and disturbance caused, and told me that the guards had been called, but made absolutely no apologies. Thankfully that night we managed to get some sleep.
On a lighter note, my husband and myself spent a few hours in the wonderful spa. I received a back massage and a facial from an excellent therapies by the name of Nicole (I think). She was extremely professional, knowledgeable and informative.I have been to many many spas and retreats and the quality of service and value for money I received was unbeatable. I will without
a doubt return to the spa to receive treatments from Nicole in the future. The spa itself was very well laid out, and relaxing. I particularly enjoyed the relaxation lounge overlooking the pretty manicured lawn. my husband too thurilly enjoyed his experience in the spa.
Overall our stay was very pleasant and relaxing. The food was great, Irish coffees were most enjoyable and most of the staff extremely friendly.
Our good friends recommended the hotel to us as they have stayed several times and have never had a bad experience. I too have informed friends and work colleagues of our stay, but also informed them of our unpleasant first night of no sleep. I will certainly be returning again, but will insist on a room that is located well back from the road.

Room Tip: Do not book a road facing room! A
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank alocindownes
Dear Alocindownes,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay. I am glad to read of your overall positive review and the fact that the only negative is a factor that we had no control over. Having spoken to the staff members involved, the authorities were alerted and I understand that this was acknowledged by reception the next day. Unfortunately as much as we would like, we are unable to control some external factors. We will always facilitate a change of room request where possible if requested. I do appreciate you writing in such positive terms about your overall experience and I have passed your review on to our Spa team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Ballygarry House in the future.

Connecticut
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I recently spent four nights at this property. The rooms are spotless and well appointed. The restaurant is first rate. The pub is casual and much fun. The spa is perfect after a round of golf. I was truly amazed at the superior service received by all members of the staff. They went out of their way to insure you had the best possible experience. I will definitely visit again and recommend this to anyone who wants to stay in a family owned property where first rate service is the norm rather than the exception.

Room Tip: Rooms with bay windows have a larger seating area.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Frelk,

Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely review. I am delighted to read such great feedback for my team who all take pride in their level of customer service.

I do hope to see you back in Ballygarry House again soon.

San Diego, California
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We were there for a Friday and Saturday night on our Ireland touring vacation. It was a midway stop for us. The room was large and comfortable and we were please when we arrived with the overall look and feel of the hotel as well as the friendly staff.
Ballygarry House seems to be a place for weddings, and because of a wedding reception there were kids running around the grounds until almost midnight so it was not quiet. We had dinner at the restaurant one night and food was well prepared, delicious and because most of the hotel guests were at the wedding reception it was quiet and relaxing. Sunday morning was a different story. Everyone from the wedding must have been in the restaurant. It was so noisy we couldn't carry on a conversation.
Mid-week atmosphere may be much different, if you are looking for a cozy, quiet romantic weekend retreat this may not be the place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear SunnySDCA,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your stay with us. I am glad to read that you liked the Hotel. We do cater for weddings, but we also look after our other guests within the Hotel. This is not feedback that comes up often, and it may have been a particulary large residential wedding on the occasion of your visit.

Armagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed at this hotel during September, 2012 for 4 nights including full Irish breakfast each morning and one evening meal in Brooks Restaurant. The booking was made by telephone direct to the hotel, and the staff member who took the booking, Michelle, was very helpful and had a pleasant, courteous and professional manner. I had requested a quiet room, and upon arrival we were delighted with the standard of the accommodation - a superior room at the rear of the hotel on the first floor, which partly overlooked the gardens and patio area. The room was quiet, modern, tastefully decorated and very well proportioned, with a sizeable bathroom. Above all the accommodation was warm and cosy at night, and immaculately clean, with fresh towels, and toiletries, and bath robes all provided - indeed the standard of cleanliness exhibited by staff was excellent throughout our stay. Breakfast was superb, with waitress staff very attentive, and even though the hotel was quite busy we felt relaxed and well looked after. The evening meal included in the package was delightful, and again staff deserve praise for the standard of service and cuisine, which were excellent. Overall a very happy experience, and a really relaxing stay. You will not be disappointed with the standards at this hotel - first class.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel and reception area can be quite busy on occasions. Rear rooms may be more qui...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scholar358
Dear Scholar358,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay. It is great to read your lovely comments and especially about our staff and level of service which I take great pride in.

I do hope you will be able to visit us again in the future,

Padriag McGillicuddy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tralee
The Ashe Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,058 reviews
The Grand Hotel Tralee
The Grand Hotel Tralee
#8 of 14 in Tralee

Been to Ballygarry House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!