“great location needs revamping”
Review of Brandon Hotel

Brandon Hotel
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Tralee
Reviewed May 7, 2008

Just back from a weekend in the brandon, travelled on the supervalu promotion giving us two night b&B and one eveing meal for 99 euro per person sharing. just like it says on the tin " supervalue" the hotel location is excellent and you can avoid most of the traffic by using the ring road. The rooms are dated and need redecorating but clean and we asked for tea making facilities which they supplied , the breakfast was good except for people who didnt go for the full irish , then the choice of pastries was limited, The meal included in our package was only ok, the service was shocking, with about 20 mins between courses , we sat at 6.30 and didnt get finished till almost 8.30 my starter was seafood salad it was tastless, but the others chose a filo pastry with chicken and mushrooms and they were quite pleased with it. The main meal was nice but spoiled by the amount of time we sat waiting, It was location that brought us to this hotel and the only thing that would bring us back there, until the rooms are updated and the service improved. Saying that the staff are friednly and helpful .

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank louCork

Reviewed April 16, 2008

Hotel too busy but the gym and the swimming pool nice.
We were in the old part of the hotel I found our bedrrom a little bit too old (No 302), dusty carpet. Staff friendly. The breakfast could have been a little bit more continental I think.

• Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank barbaraDublin
Reviewed April 6, 2008

The hotel was part of a package which we took for a junior rugby festival. Our party of 53 (including parents and kids playing) were placed on the 2nd floor.

The rugby festival was more-or-less rained off so we had plenty of time in the hotel.

Good things:
1. Location - a short stroll into Tralee;
2. Staff - handled lots of kids running around well
3. Swimming pool and jacuzzi - the kids loved it.
4. They produced an iron when requested.
5. Room was comfortable and clean.
6. Hotel bar had a good atmosphere
7. Large Residents lounge was ideal for the kids to hang out in

Bad things:
1. Ask for a room facing the back. My room faced the front and was noisy from the traffic at night and early in the morning.
2. Shower curtain (round bath) a bit cramped but plenty of hot water.

The gym looked excellent but I didn't use it. The whole pool area was pleasant and had a jacuzzi, sauna, etc.

Breakfast was OK. I stuck to the cooked stuff which was filling and warm but very definitely mass catering.

The hotel didn't really bring any strong feeling out in me either way. It did the job.

Stayed: March 2005
1  Thank drc225
Reviewed December 9, 2007

My room was on the second floor. I could have been the first person to stay in the room as it was spotlessly clean. Lovely bathroom and a comfortable bed.

The breakfast was OK.
All the basics were to be had (cerials / fry / tea / toast / juice)
There could have been a bit more variety though such as a selection of cheeses / breads and cold meats.
All the fruit bowls seemed to contain tinned fruit with the exception of a bowl of banannas. Freshly prepared fruit salad would have been good.

TV and radio channels could be sorted better. I was hoping to listen to TodayFM in the morning but it wasnt available.

Staff were friendly.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Rince_Sporium
Reviewed November 6, 2007

We booked through the Supervalu breaks, and really enjoyed the 3 night stay. The first night we had our evening meal at the restaurant which was terrible. Our Starter was spring rolls and they were soggy and oily, the steak was over cooked and chewy. However the breakfast was fab. They used the best of meats, fruits and cereals. All the staff were very attentive. The rooms are basic, but comfortable. Our room was cleaned and taken care of everyday. Overall I would stay at the Brandon again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2007

I have stayed in this hotel for three years every November and love the place. Am always greeted with friendly warm staff everytime I go there. The rooms are standard but comfortable and clean. The staff in the hotel bar and restaurant were great and very helpful towards us and dealt with complaints in a good manner. I love this hotel alot and am going back there in two weeks

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 16, 2007

I had heard The Brandon had been renovated over the past few years and I know it to be a very good central location for staying in Tralee Town. Booked in there for 1 night last week - I was offered a standard room for €50 @ head including breakfast, or €75 @ head includ breakfast for a superior room, I chose the superior room. Upon arrival at the reception desk, I said oh boy this doesn't bode well,,,,,,,,; The 2 receptionists gave me a glance and continued what they were doing - No Hello Welcome to our Hotel or anything along those lines. Then they checked us in, you can see they were more interested in prioritising whatever work they were doing behind the counter instead of welcoming 2 guests to the hotel - one was on her computer, one was filing around - We were the only guests at check in at the time. Actually a delivery man came in and was greeted with pleasantries & more attention than we were. So off we went to our superior room - It was on the new side of the hotel - the receptionists let us go off to the lift which wasn't even the correct lift for our side of the building - we found this out up at the final floor option - 4. Our Room was on floor 5, so off we went down again and found the other lift. With our cases, no offer of a porter along the way.
Our room - it was fine - it certainly wasn't a superior room. Both lampshades on the bedside lockers was hanging sideways broken. the towels were sufficient - i.e. 1 bath towel each, 2 hand towels, obviously very old towels. There was a dirty sock from possibly the previous occupants of the room, under the dresser. Nothing 'superior' in the room as would be standard for a superior room; i.e. robes/ slippers/ not a bottle of water. The bed was comfortable, the main bed linen was clean, the covers are obviously re-used in my opinion, so I didn't dwell on that, being there for only one night.... the sock was enough for me to get over.
The Bar; staff were very friendly, service was excellent. Food was very good casual bar food.
The Spa; very very good, treatments quality, staffs attention to detail excellent & lovely surrounds.
Breakfast - oh lord - last call as such is 10:30 - we arrived at 10:32 being honest - they were wrapping up shop like there was a function due in on top of them - when all they were doing was prepping it up again for the next morning. no need for all the clattering, rushing about, making everyone feel like we better get a spoon to mouth fast before its taken away from us. The room breakfast is served in, is quite simply old, fading shabby decor.

I deal with hotels around ireland regularly on a corporate level - I certainly wont be paying the brandon hotel another visit. There is no need to stay at a hotel of this caliber in this day and age when there are so many better options, I would say even guest houses would top the brandon. I was disappointed to say the least.

Stayed: October 2007