“Great value”

Brandon Hotel
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Tralee
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Great value - excellent price for a 4* hotel. Very clean conf bed,
Great location. Near city centre and close to the roads to Dingle Peninsula.
Hotel bar has good food.
Leisure and spa facilities are great
Only problem is the noise as its a old hotel but didn't bother at all

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed at this hotel as part of a “Grand Tour of Ireland” trip with JustGo Holidays.
JustGo value for money cannot be faulted, but I would suggest researching the hotels they use carefully as some of them can be “Iffy”. If you are travelling with this company be prepared for regimental timing at all hotels, particularly in the eating department !!
Firstly I would like to put to rest the tea/coffee in rooms debate, I was with 55 other people on this trip and they were spread over three floors of the hotel and ALL had these facilities in their rooms.
I agree with the many comments of the hotel being dated, and that it has some "Strange" characters as inmates, I could not help but think maybe it houses some local council waiting list folk or something, whatever they were no trouble to me. The food is good although of all the hotels stayed at on this trip we felt very overly hurried to finish our meals, on one night we were moved from 1830 to 1800 to accomodate another party coming in as it was out of season and the hotel could not afford to employ more staff. Funny that ROI were playing an international that night live on TV !!!
Still there you go, its okay and at a push I would return.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank davidglward
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel is definitely showing its age and clearly has had minimum investment for a number of years. In the present economic climate I do not expect any change as it would cost a fortune to update.At best can be described as very average but certainly acceptable at the price charged to me. My bedroom was clean but very basic with none of the little extras usually found such as tea/coffee and bathroom toiletries. Furniture was minimal.

Breakfast was particularly poor, tinned fruit and hard cold bacon. I did not use it for dinner, nor did I use swimming pool or Gym.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Location good. Despite my reservations, I will return for my few days annual visit provided I get the same good value.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank IFM_11
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

I was shocked that there were no tea or coffee makeing facilities in the room. this is the first hotel i stayed in that hadnt got this also no wall sockets near side locker for to plug in phone charger

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I have never been to Ireland before. Read some reviews which rather put me off but this hotel was excellent. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful from the first night we arrived (after 11.15pm). We were tired from our journey so decided to skip the supper, which others in our coach group sampled and said were really nice sandwiches with soup. Breakfasts were buffet style, everything was there except the toast which was brought fresh to your table as soon as you sat down, along with tea and coffee. If you wanted eggs fried, boiled or poached you only had to ask and they brought them, same with fresh bread for butties. Welsh brown bread was freely available at the buffet, sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs, mushrooms, beans and tomatoes. Cereals, youghurt, fruit and cold ham and cheese. Evening meals were served to your table, there were at least three choices of starters and main meals (with vegetarian choice in each), two choices of desserts minimum. It was high quality food with a different meat and fish course every night. The waiting staff were extremely helpful and efficient and friendly, (Aldo from Albania was an absolute sweetheart), there were Irish waiters and supervisors too. You could have any drink brought to your table and either pay then or at the end of the meal.

The room was on the first floor. I had read reviews to say to choose the higher floors but I found nothing wrong with my room. It was spacious, the bed was extremely comfortable and clean, the TV had all the usual channels but then we do not go on holiday to watch TV. Wifi did not work in the rooms but you could get it easily downstairs in reception and the lounges. The shower was very strong and refreshing with plenty of hot water even in the afternoons before dinner. There were only three fixed hangers each in the wardrobe, so bring extra. We asked for some extra pillows and they brought them up (we ended up with five pillows in all),

Other guests used the gym and spa and swimming pool when there and found them very good but we used our leisure time exploring the little town of Tralee or resting in our lovely room at the table overlooking the street. There is a little park across the street which a group of guests explored. Finally, the manager David and the receptionist Eileen deserve a special mention as they went above and beyond to help us with everything, including Eileen looking stuff up on the internet when I found my smartphone a problem when browsing.

There are tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms, so the reviewer who said they did not wasted some of our luggage space, as we packed a travel kettle and provisions.

Altogether I would recommend this hotel to anyone. I totally enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: You do hear traffic noise from the rooms at the front if you open the double glazed windows, 116, 11...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank linyjon
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The Brandon hotel is BIG and a bit outdated.
The reception area was OK but when I asked them to book me a table at a nearby restaurant ( Cassidy's very good ) they searched long and hard for the number, then the piece of paper to write the number on and then told me to call the restaurant myself !!
Location is good for central Tralee.
Our double room 133 faced onto a blank concrete wall but was clean and functional, if a little dated.
The Gym is enormous with lots of bikes and tread mills, as well as a weights room. The swimming pool area is OK although the sauna seat fell apart when I was in it. My teenage kids were not allowed in after 6 on a Saturday.
Breakfast was good but extra on our deal.
All in all OK but definitely expect a big, corporate, dated hotel that could do with some love.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor. Rooms on the non street side are quieter but overlook an ugly carpark.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We had a disgraceful experience in the Brandon Hotel last weekend. Me and my wife were followed up to our room by what can only be described as a 'weirdo'. After we had entered our room the man left and we thought that was the end of it. I then went down to the bar to get water for my wife. I saw the man as I exited the lift talking to a member of staff in the lobby, When I returned to my room I found the man banging our our room door trying to gain entry. He tried to barge his way into our room but I managed to get the door closed and locked.The man had to be removed by 2 members of staff. This hotel has no electronic key card security system and still uses normal house keys for its rooms. The whole experience was very upsetting for my wife and I was extremely angry at what had happened. I would never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple