“Well holy mary.. I thought I was back at school”

and 1 more site!
The Earl of Desmond Hotel
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Tralee
Dublin, Ireland
“Well holy mary.. I thought I was back at school”
Reviewed September 15, 2010

On arrival met with stoney faced receptionist what a welcome.It was made very clear we had to pay up front no option, as is customary in other hotels. Had to ask twice for invoice for my money, she said I would get it next day which baffled me it was only 2.45pm and there was only one other couple at the desk.The whole third floor carpet was water stained obviously there had been a flood.The room was frozen in the 1970s/80s funny that "the room rate was'nt" way overpriced and we're in a recession.The kettle had brown goo at the bottom a health hazard a contraption on the wall masquerading as a hairdryer farcical! Smelly worn out towels old wooden toilet seat paint chipped. A lack of customary items like a clock ,bathroom toiletries, tourist information,no room service.We asked for new room but got none.It was friday night and no entertainment.Breakfast diabolical no proper fruit,
no yougharts,cheap quality cereals.Asked to speak to manager, a person at reception said she was the wedding co-ordinator who had the most appalling attitude said he'd be in later, in fact anyone who wanted to see him got the same fob off answer.Sunday morning and after a wedding, the whole floor was woken after 8am by the noise of the cleaning staff, round after 9am I heard what I would desribe as a mother superior type household staff member loudly giving orders to other staff on the corridor.It was very obvious it was to get residents up and out by 11am.They walked into rooms without knocking lucky I was'nt in the shower there was no lock on the bathroom door.They stood outside the rooms making sure you got out.I realised It was more like a convent than a hotel. On checkout I said what went on upstairs the wedding co-ordinator snapped back at me,appalling..I doubt she ever did a customer care course.The one positive experience we all had was the restaurant and serving staff they were lovely

4 Thank liberty3belle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Stayed in this so called 3 star hotel recently, on arrival we were greeted by a very rude receptionist that seemed to have no interest in her guest s.whatsoever ,just looking for money and credit card straight away. When we arrived to our hotel room we found it to be shabby,furniture looked like something from the dark ages .there was a threatening notice on the back of door to tell us if we did not depart by 11oclock on day of departure we would be charged 50%extra.!WHAT HOSPITALITY! TV had no remote and when we called reception for one we were completely ignored.We were later to find out there was no room service at this hotel My husband could not shave as there was brown water flowing from the hot tap. At this stage we were beginning to think we had booked FAULTY TOWERS HOTEL..Tralee town 10minutes drive from hotel but when we asked for a taxi at reception we had to wait 40 minutes.There was no manager in the hotel all weekend just a sorry excuse of a duty nanageress who needed some training in people skills,very rude and downright ignorant.Dining room and barstaff very pleasant but alas it is who you meet on arrival at the reception area that counts.

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank kevkat50
Reviewed September 9, 2010

My Wife and I were At a Wedding Reception in this So Called 3 Star Luxury Hotel , Booked in ,staff on Reception O/K , Were Looking for Payment Up Front for the 2 Days Stay,Very Unusual we said but as we were attending a Wedding we agreed with her Request, The room was ready , room 353 top floor up the lift turn left down the corridor
All the doors of the rooms on the corridor were wide open, held there with a chair ,
all the rooms on the Left Even Numbers had Queen or King Size Beds in them, All the rooms on the Right Uneven Numbers had i Double + Single Bed in them.
We got to room 353 , went inside had a look and done a turnabout , The Carpet in the room was Filthy The Toilet Floor must have been wiped with a Dirty Wet Rag The Toilet seat was of the old Wooden type not even covered with a Hygenic Cover and looked Crawling with Bacteria UGG , We got out of that room Quick,,,,,
I could go on and on about the rooms and the Attitude of some of the staff in this hotel just to give you a inkling about this hotel,
One-----Pay up Front
two------Dirty Rooms
three----Dirty Tea Making Kettles( Inside )
Four---- No Room Service
Five-----Household staff walk into rooms without knocking , if one of your Extended
Family in in your room you are accused of letting people stay in your room
Without paying. ( Single Rooms )
Six-------Some Staff Members need to be Employed Elsewhere as they are not Suited for
Hotel Work IE Dealing with Complaints from Guests .
Seven-- We Stayed 2 nights in this LUXURY Hotel asked for the Manager Several times
With Our Complaints , But Every time the reply was ,,The Manager is not Here at
this time, the Manager Allowed his Staff to Abuse Guests ,
Eight----Never in any hotel we have stayed in any where in the world did i hear the
Recptionist Say to 2 Guests ( I WILL GET THE POLICE FOR YOU )
Nine ----Run and Do Not Come Back Remember this review

5 Thank John1418
Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed September 8, 2010

This supposedly 3 star hotel, must be graded 3 star because of the hotel lobby, this was the best part of the hotel!! The Customer service of the reception staff, leaves a lot to be desired, Any reviewer who says reception staff were nice, well you were lucky, The Reception Staff have not been trained at the same level of customer service, I found them rude and unhelpful. Also I put a do not disturb sign on my door, they totally ignore it, They just walk straight in, and one morning I was in my room in bed, it was gone 11 and my niece was sitting on the bed, The cleaner just walked in, i obviously was in bed, i got a call 3 mins later from the receptionist, saying i had someone else in the room and had only paid for a single room, i was most annoyed. The cleaner must have ran to reception to inform them!! My niece had her own room, the receptionist just said she was mis informed. This hotel is only interested in the money they take from you. The only good thing i can say is i was in the refurbished room, other people's rooms were of 2 star standard, at 4 star prices. . The only other good thing i will say is, i found breakfast room/dining room staff were nice enough!

4 Thank Happycamper656612
douglas
Reviewed September 6, 2010

There is so many things wrong with this hotel, i really don't know where to start, from the reception check in staff to the cleaning and hotel staff, the reception staff have obvously not been trained in customer service. They don't know how to treat guests, had they ever heard of smiling warmly as guests check in, that is a NO, they confused our bookings, they also insist on payment up front, though on speaking to other guests that depended on the staff on call. The rooms ranged from very shabby to refurbished. This hotel should not be graded 3 star. In one of our friends room, the flush for the toilet was behind the shower sceen. This hotel has no room service either. Avoid this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010
3 Thank brenbDouglas
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We recently stayed at this hotel and found the rooms were like something back in the 70's.The Entrance into the Hotel was lovely for a wedding.The Reception staff were very rude and not a bit helpful.They dont do room service,No Leisure Facilities,No Swimming Pool,and when you put a Do Not Disturb Sign on you door the staff still come into your room.The hotel is overpriced we got a special rate of 130.00 per night B&B which certainly is not worth it you have to check out by 11 and if your late checking out there is a 50 per cent charge which they will take from your credit card that you have booked in with or reserved your room with.With the current climate you think they would welcome the bussiness.I certainly wouldnt stay in this hotel again and wouldnt recommend it to anyone it is about a 10 min drive outside the town you can get hotels in the centre of the town cheaper and better.

3 Thank johnwayne10
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed August 23, 2010

We stayed at the hotel for a friends wedding near by, the hotel was excellent the staff were friendly and very efficient, I can't agreed with the comment left below and if anyone is "Dog Rough" it is whoever left the comment. To say something like what he said, "this sad excuse of a human being needs to be sat down and some manners beat into her", it just shows what people have to deal with. We checked in there was 2 receptionists on as it was very busy and both were very professional and polite. So don't judge by what it looks like is an ignotat person says. Go look for yourselves you won't be disappointed. We weren't will gladly go back and stay there..

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple