“Family Wedding” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Tralee
Killarney
“Family Wedding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

Dear Reader ,Please see below copy of a letter i sent to the owner of the Hotel.

Dear Mr White,

I hope that all is well with you and that you are enjoying a busy season. It is great to see the “Earl” buzzing like the good old days. I am writing to tell you of my most recent experiences at your hotel, I am not sure if you are aware but a sister of mine Melissa Cronin held her wedding reception in The Earl of Desmond Hotel on Saturday 19th of May. I know from working in hospitality that it is more often the negative comments we hear and as we had such a fantastic experience at your hotel I decided to take the time to put my thanks and appreciation on paper.
As you may know at least half of my family have had the pleasure of working at your hotel at some point and time, so when my sister decided to get married there was no discussion as to where the wedding reception would be.
From the day the wedding was booked right up to and including the day after the wedding Colm could not do enough, his professionalism, integrity, attention to detail and his impeccable standards make him a very valuable member of your team. Not only did he make our families welcome but extended a very warm welcome to all our neighbours and friends. The personal attention received by Colm is something that is missing in a lot of hotels, this is what makes the Earl in my opinion one of Kerry’s best wedding venues. Colm delivered on all he had promised and was at all times very confident of the hotel and the product. I cannot go any further without complimenting the hotel on its food, Your Head Chef Gerry Flynn and his team have to be commended for the fantastic food. The quality of the food served at the wedding is something to be proud of. It was the best wedding meal that I have had in many years and not just me the feedback that we have received is phenomenal. Top class food together with a very high level of service is what made the day a success. I have found the quality of food at the hotel well ahead of your nearest competitors and often visit for Sunday lunch.
I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Mark your General Manager who could not have done enough for us his professionalism and advice was greatly appreciated. I would also like for you to pass on my words of thanks to Mrs Bradley who set up the wedding and ensured that every little detail was taken care of. It is impossible to thank everyone by name but every last member of staff that we encountered was friendly professional and nothing was too much trouble from the bar staff to reception to breakfast the next morning and a very special thank you to Michael your bar manager.I would have to doubt that you will have repeat business from what was a very memorial occasion for our family. My other sister Mary Kate has already booked your hotel for next year for her special day. It is great to see investment in such hard times and I would like to wish you many more years of success.

Room Tip: I attended alot of weddings here including my own and is by far Kerrys best Wedding Venue
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Theeurope

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
rhyl wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

Stayed with coach party from North Wales.Apart from first night when we were in room on top floor,the next day we were as promised ,moved to a lovely room on lower floor,we came back from a day out and our luggage had been removed ,so all good.Hotel is in lovely grounds,Bet its lovely in summer !Staff were all pleasant,and worked very hard,especially in restaurant,because hotel was full,but food was always served with a smile,always hot and no waiting,couldnt do more than that.All in all a very enjoyable stay !

Room Tip: rooms on top floor do not have lift access
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sandra t
lincoln uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

spent four nights at the earl of desmond hotel in mid-april. the standard of the room was good, as was the performance of the staff. however three things bugged me: 1. our party was allocated certain tables on the first night and told that these would be ours for the duration of the stay. not a bit of it, we were chopped and changed over the following three days without explanation. 2. the meals were below par in terms of both quantity and quality in comparison with other similarly star-rated hotels i have stayed in. 3. the entertainment advertised was, with one exception, not really 'entertainment' but background sounds renedered by either a solo guitarist/singer or a keyboards/singer - neither of whom generated much enthusiasm with their audiences. the last night was much better - a local folk and dance group. in respect of items one and three above, i tackled the manager about them and was given as an explanation that german visitors were calling the tune because they were paying more for their stays so their preferences took precedence over other coach parties' requirements. i've no plans to return to this hotel until this apparent discrimination is scrapped.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank paul g
Charleville, Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

I stayed here at the hotel for a Ball last November. The room was beautifully decorated and modern, also lovely and clean. Staff were friendly, food was lovely. All in all a very pleasant stay.
I only have one complaint - even though we were there for a Ball, they shut the bar at 11.45pm!! Not only that, but they also closed the Residents Bar!! We could not believe our eyes, we all rushed up to the bar and bought a stock of drinks to keep us going for a couple of hours. We weren't planning on staying up all night, but would have at least expected the bar to stay open until 2am! We were cleared out of the function room, so took our drinks to the Reception area. One of our party members is a professional piano player, but the staff locked the piano in reception and wouldn't give out the key. Then 2 members of our party went to their rooms to get a guitar and keyboard - the staff wouldn't let them bring them back down to reception! While we may sound like drunken larger louts who didn't know when to go to bed, we were all actually very sober, and it was the majority of the people who attended the ball that wanted to carry on for a little while, not just a few of us!! Ironically, if they had kept the Residents Bar open, I'm pretty sure with the volume of people that wanted to stay up, one person's wages would have been paid 3 times over in the space of a couple of hours.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Claire S
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

Just spent four days here... Beautiful room, glorious weather and wonderful staff....

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Joan901
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

I have NOT stayed in this hotel and nor will I. When phoning to book a room for April at end of February we were asked to phone back on 3rd of march as the hotel was closed. When we phoned back on the 3rd of March we were told to phone back on 11th as they were still closed. I was puzzled by this as there was someone answering the phone. When I asked, the man explained that he had calls diverted to his mobile, I was interrupting him at home and he could not check availability.

He didn't tell us we could book online or offer to check online himself.

I can only assume he can afford to turn down custom.

• Stayed March 2012
6 Thank Travellingnuts
Tralee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2011

Had Sunday lunch there a few days ago and as usual it was excellent and great value...Mark

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family