“Exceptional wedding experience”
Review of The Malton Hotel

The Malton Hotel
Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Just stayed at the malton for a family wedding recently. I can't recommend it enough. Food at the wedding reception was exceptional as was the breakfast the following morning. Staff were very attentive and pleasant. The function room for the reception was amazing, fabulous decor and lighting. I would definitely recommend the malton as a wedding venue. Looking forward to going back in the future!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Maltonsales, General Manager at The Malton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear Eileen, thank you for taking the time to write this review & so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and the wedding. We invested a lot of money in the re-furbishment of our banqueting facilities over a year ago and it's always great to hear positive feedback & appreciation of same. Look forward to welcoming you back again in the future, Best Regards, Conor Hennigan, General Manager

Reviewed January 13, 2014

What a beautiful place to stay! We had two days here and the hotel was wonderful. Our dinners and breakfast were some of the best we had on our tour. The rooms were a little dated, but comfortable. Service was great. Hotel was conveniently located. We could walk to most of the shopping and restaurants. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Maltonsales, Manager at The Malton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear Roger, thank you so much for your comments & always great to hear when a guest plans to return to us. Look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant furture, Warmest Regards, Michele King, Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed January 12, 2014

We booked a deluxe room for 2 nights. When we arrived the lobby was a madhouse but got checked in and taken to our room. It was horrid! Old used furniture (not antiques), scuffed paint and chunks out of the walls. The kicker was the bed throw which looked like someone had wiped their boots (or worse) on it and it had never been cleaned. I went back down and explained to the desk staff how bad it was. They were very helpful and got us into a deluxe room NOT in the main manor but newly re-done. It was very nice and modern (not quite the experience we wanted but SO much better than the other room).

Mary Mac was the concierge and she recommended a couple of restaurants in town that we found and were fabulous.

Room Tip: They were closing for 2-3 weeks to refurbish the rest of the rooms so perhaps any room you get will...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen B
Reviewed January 10, 2014

From the minute we turned the car towards the Hotel, we were directed to a car space, friendly welcome and professional check in. Room, Food, Bar everything we engaged with was flawless. The staff could not have been nicer and my lost jacket was hanging at reception the following morning with my wallet in it
Congratulations to everyone there - a fantastic stay & a fantastic Hotel
We were at a wedding and everyone I spoke to the following morning had similar comments - as an ex Hotel Manager, I know what it takes to deliver a flawless experience - ye have it in the Malton ! - Thanks a million & well done

Room Tip: As far as I could make out all the rooms were excellent
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Fergal, Delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and the wedding. Hope to welcome you back again in the near future so do keep an eye on our facebook & website page for future special offers. Many thanks for this great review. Best Regards, Jennifer Egan, Digital Marketing Manager

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I stayed here as part of a tour group. The hotel itself is gorgeous, and frankly I felt almost intimidated walking in, because it felt much fancier than I am used to. The food in the restaurant was delicious, the hotel is located in a great area and you can walk to a lot of shopping and pubs, and the hotel bar is big, warm and accommodating. The bartenders were really friendly. I appreciated the spaciousness and décor of the hotel.

However, there were some negative experiences that stick with me. First of all, I did like our room - and it had a FABULOUS shower - but we saw a couple of other rooms that our tourmates stayed in, and we felt that we got an older room that was in need of an upgrade. For example, our television was very old and big, and one of our tourmates had a flat-screen plasma mounted on his wall.

Secondly, we stayed 2 weekend nights and there were weddings both days. One night, the noise level was absolutely unbelievable. If you looked out the window you could see we were overlooking some type of structure that connected the wedding to the main hotel and wedding attendees were constantly going back and forth. Even with the window closed, it was loud (and this was from the third floor!). Granted, we never complained, but it didn't seem there was much that could be done. It was obvious the wedding was still going on, so it's not like they would be shutting it down. Also, due to these weddings, there was a red carpet placed down the center of the main stairs that you had to walk around every time.

Thirdly, I had two experiences with staff that really rubbed me the wrong way. One was after coming back in from the rain with paper bags from shopping, I rushed up the three flights of stairs to my room. On the way, the bottom of one of my bags gave out, and all my items went tumbling down the stairs. A concierge (or maybe bellhop) was at the top of the stairs waiting for the elevator and saw this happen, and instead of offering to help me, he quickly got on the elevator as if he didn't see me. Also, twice during our three-night stay, a bunch of us (there were 31 people on our tour) somehow had our key cards for our rooms de-magnetized, causing us to have to go down to the front desk and get them re-activated. Normally I'd just chalk this up to inconvenience, but of course when it happened with my card, I was in a rush, and had to wait in line at the front desk behind another big tour group checking in. When I finally got up to the front, there was no apology about my key card not working - in fact, she almost seemed annoyed with ME that she had to deal with it.

I can't comment about price since it was all rolled into the price of the tour, but given everything I would just rate this experience as average. I feel like there are other hotels that would have treated me better (in fact, there were - Knockranny, Herbert Park and Clontarf Castle.)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank HappyTraveler3434
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I stayed here in October, was put in a room over the bar, I rang reception to enquire re the noise and was told it's probably cause there was a match on in the bar.. this went on till after midnight, also the shower ran really hot/cold, dangerous for elderly or childern. I had left my comments on the comment card and not one person contacted me re same. Wouldn't relly recommend it, you can get 5 Star for not much extra €.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank m e
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband and I spent a night recently in the Malton.We had stayed there before and had a lovely experience and hoped for a repeat experience.We had a fine room and had tasty food in the bar and enjoyed the music.Staff in the bar were very attentive.

On the following morning ,we had two experiences with service which soured our stay.Firstly staff were overly eager to clear the breakfast table before we were finished eating.Secondly,as we relaxed in our room after breakfast there were two knocks from housekeeping to clean the room.One interruption was before 11 o clock and the other was 10 minutes later..

If just one of these experiences happened in isolation we would have overlooked it but as both occured,we felt that we were being put under pressure by staff.Perhaps it is policy for a Sunday morning to move people on quickly.

We mentioned our concerns to reception and asked to be contacted subsequently .This did not happen.This hotel is,pricewise, in the upper-end of the scale of hotels in Killarney.On this occasion ,however the service did not reflect ths and we were disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple