“Friendliest service in beautiful surroundings”
Review of The Malton Hotel

The Malton Hotel
Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I'm just back from a two night break in The Malton. We had a wonderful experience. Firstly the entire staff are so friendly and most obliging. They just couldn't do enough for you. We had our baby with us and I found the room very spacious. I love the bar area where there are beautiful comfy chairs around cosy fires, perfect for enjoying a glass of wine! The food is brilliant in the bar and there is also a fab restaurant and wine rooms where lovely food is also served. I couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough be it for a couple, friends or family break.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Maltonsales, Manager at The Malton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Guest, so glad to read your review & that you really enjoyed your stay with us. Nothing like a glass of wine beside a warm fire in December ! The Killarney Wine Rooms are a new addition to services here and Co.Kerrys only walk in interactive wine cellar. Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review and for your recommendation & hope to welcome you back again in the not too distant future. Warmest Regards, Jennifer Egan, Digital Marketing Manager

There are newer reviews for The Malton Hotel

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Just stayed two days as on way to family event in Cork, chose The Malton as had stayed there previously - on honeymoon in 1973 when it was the Great Southern. Reception was friendly and welcoming and despite our arriving early our room was ready. The room was large, clean, quiet and comfortable. We took all of our meals in the hotel, mainly in Garden Room Restaurant but lunch in the bar. All very good and reasonably priced for the standard provided. Restaurant Maitre-D' and his staff were attentive but unobtrusive, bar staff equally efficient. Ran a tab for drinks and food over the stay and kept own record, bill presented on departure was correct to the penny. A good experience and would not hesitate to stay again if in area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Palodia

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your comments. We are always happy to welcome back past guests & glad we met your expectations during your stay with us. Look forward to welcoming you back again. Best Regards, Michele King, Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Thank you all for a wonderful stay at your hotel on Sunday last 15th Dec. A warm greeting by reception staff and stayed in a beautiful room.I will look for this junior suite again upon our return.We had a few pre dinner drinks in the bar and here the staff were very professional.
The restaurant had a wonderful atmosphere, a comprehensive menu and once again the staff here were very professional dealing with all customers on the night. The meal itself was beautiful and we both would give this a five star rating. The breakfast was one to be remembered and it was great to be served breakfast once again rather these awful buffet breakfasts. I was delighted to see such a comprehensive selection of local produce.
Well done to you all at the Malton It was wonderful to see this magnificent hotel delivering such great standards Looking forward to a return visit Jim & Helen

Room Tip: Stayed in a beautiful room 101, close to reception, room wih morning sunshine and with a garden vi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jim & Helen, Many thanks for your review of your recent stay with us. I'm delighted you had the true Malton experience & look forward to welcoming you back again. We are celebrating our 160th birthday this year (hotel opened in 1854) so do check our website and facebook/twitter pages for future special offers. I will also pass on your 5 star rating to our restaurant manager/team. Warmest Regards, Jennifer Egan, Digital Marketing Manager

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Just had lunch for two. Have to give it 5 Stars ,What a lovely place for lunch,very relaxing and so enjoyable .Everything was perfect except for the frozen chips . How they can produce such a wonderful lunch and then use frozen chips is beyond me .Service was spot on,so professional .

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Our annual conference was held at the Malton this year, and it was a huge success.
The conference facilities are great, and the staff are very accommodating. (Last minute requests were well received!!!) All delegates reported favourably about the facilities and services provided.
Some of the breakout rooms are a little removed from the main site, but that was well managed. All refreshments were served promptly, and the hot lunch provided both days we outstanding. The canapes at the win reception were a big hit!

The restaurant and bar both served delicious food, and provided a nice atmosphere. Staff were prompt and friendly. The breakfast was massively varied, and the freshly cooked hot options put a spring in my step for the rest of the day!!

The decor of the hotel is mostly modern with some traditional flair which I really liked. The rooms were all unique and eclectic (again to my taste!) My room was very warm with the radiators on, but did cool down sufficiently to enjoy my sleep!

Overall, would highly recommend as a conference venue.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Maltonsales, General Manager at The Malton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Orla, Sincere thank you for taking the time to write this review of your experience while attending a conference at The Malton. We invested heavily in our conference centre last year & I'm delighted all services met your expectations. We do hope to welcome you back again in the near future be it to another conference or for leisure. Best Regards, Conor Hennigan, General Manager

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Over the past couple of years we must have stayed in the Malton for two and three day breaks on a least half a dozen occasions and have never failed to have been impressed with the quality and value This time we stayed for four nights and have to record some doubts about the restaurant - or more accurately, the kitchen.

Our room at the front of the hotel was spacious and very comfortable and we were welcomed with a large plate of good quality fruit. However I have to mention a very peculiar fault - especially in mid-winter in Ireland - it was too hot at night. Even with all the radiators off and the two windows open as far as they would go ( a matter of only 4 inches or so) it was still oppressively warm and our sleep quality was compromised. Two other guests to whom we spoke volunteered the same opinion. Very peculiar?

We were rather disapppointed by the restaurant this.The menu hardly ever seems to change and after a couple of nights you know it off by heart. Mary, my companion does not eat red meat and she was very disappointed to find that chicken was nowhere to be found as a main course. One night she ordered the only vegetarian option on the table d'hote menu which was described (if my memory serves me correctly) as tomato and vegetable curry. And what a disaster that was - a totally inedible plate of half raw vegetables bereft of taste or texture. A complaint to the restaurant manageress elicited no meaningful response.

The cooking tends to be on the heavy side - generous helpings to a fault but vegetables slathered in white sauce and potatoes either creamed or in the form of dauphinoise. I made the mistake of ordering fish chowder which was so full of cream it almost made me sick - iron stomach and all that I have. And when I asked our waitress for mustard to go with my grilled steak she came back after some delay to tell us that they were out of mustard! Full marks however to the maitre d' who obviously had noted what was going on and rushed up quickly with a dish of the condiment!

We had no complaints about the breakfast which was as good as ever and the equal of anything you will encounter anywhere in Ireland. They did not even charge us for entertaining a friend to breakfast one morning. Also I am pleased to report that the food in the bar is still well served and enjoyable.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the ground floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank esler c
Maltonsales, General Manager at The Malton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Dear loyal customer, I was very disappointed to read your recent comments on your last stay with us as we do pride ourselves on excellent service and food here at the Malton. I would appreciate if you could contact me directly at your earliest convenience to discuss further. Best Regards, Paul O’Sullivan, Deputy General Manager
posullivan@themalton.com
064 6638000

Reviewed December 13, 2013

I did not stay at this hotel but I did have an amazing dinner in the Garden Room restaurant. The hotel is located across the street from the train station. Exterior and interior (main entry and restaurant) were very beautiful. My friend and I felt a bit underdressed for the posh settings. The service and the food were both outstanding! All of the food was presented beautifully and tasted wonderful! The goat cheese stuffed mushroom was amazing. The lamb was the best lamb I have ever had! The baileys dessert was also very good but I was not able to finish it as all my portion sizes were fairly large. They also gave us a few samples of things in between waiting on dishes. One was a lemon tart which was very good. And some sample truffles at the end which were awesome! The prices were very reasonable. Around $40 US dollars per person. I also took the recommended mixed drink for the night which was very good! I would defiantly go back to this restaurant!! The service was also extremely good! All the servers were very polite and punctual on everything.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank moon2silver
Maltonsales, Manager at The Malton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear guest, sincere thank you for taking the time to write this review of our Garden Room Restaurant & so glad you enjoyed your meal. We are fortunate to have won the Best Hotel restaurant in Munster earlier this year so its great to get such positive feedback. Hope to welcome you back again in the not too distant future, Best Regards, Dora O Sullivan, Restaurant Manager