“Great Stay!”

Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Cork, Ireland
“Great Stay!”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Travelling a short distance from our hometown Clonakilty to Killarney for a family get together, my partner and I decided to stay in this wonderful hotel. Being honest I've wanted to for a really long time - well it didn't disappoint! Everything was top class, excellent service (staff are fab), lovely rooms, food.... well the list is endless and we're looking for an excuse to return!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zetaleoni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Polish first
Visalia, California
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

I will start with the good. The lobby is absolutely beautiful, with a library, reading room, bar and restaurant. The full breakfast was fantastic. Their towels were luxurious. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Next time I'm in town I will definitely not stay there.
The Bad.
Our room was on the first floor And we had to walk through six fire doors to get there Our room was the last room in the hall between a set of fire doors and a back door that went out to a walking alley. The carpet in the room was badly stained The first night there we had no heat. I had to call the front office at 6:30 AM to ask them to turn on the heat. They said it should've been on but it wasn't so after 10 minutes they did turn it on. We had no control over how much heat we could get. The furniture in the room was very old and run down. There was a closet where the paint was all chipped around it and was locked and we have no idea what was in there. I was afraid to go to sleep at night as fear mice or other insects may come out of this closet. My husband found a huge spider on our bathroom floor. It was the size of a tarantula but without all the hair. He went down the hall to see if the cleaning lady had something to kill it with. She came back with the vacuum cleaner and let out a big scream when she saw the spider. The first night there an alarm went off at 2 AM and lasted for five minutes we were very concerned, it was finally shut off but we never received an explanation as to its cause. For the price we paid for a luxurious hotel we feel we ended up with something less than a Rundown motel in the bad side of town. We will not be staying there again. I have no idea what the other rooms look like but I know what mine looks like, And we made our reservations at least three months in advance. Definitely not worth the money

• Stayed September 2013
MaltonManagement, Manager at The Malton Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review on your stay and I am delighted that you found the hotel enjoyable on the ground floor and enjoyed the hotels facilities. I am extremely disappointed that you did not enjoy your bedroom experience during your stay. Comfort and sleep quality is a priority for all guests and we understand that people will have a different taste in furnishings. We are a little surprised regarding some of the comments that you have made, the weather at the moment has been very mild and we did not feel there was a huge requirement for heat, we apologies if we got this wrong. Firstly we do not have any spider in this country that are dangerous but I totally accept that it was not a nice experience , that said I feel your comments that you were afraid to sleep is a little over the top and had you expressed you concerns to the front desk they would have gladly offered to provide an alternative bedroom on the night. You must appreciate that we air all rooms during the day and yes it is possible with spiders being plentiful in the month of September and with a hotel surrounded by gardens and trees it is possible that some will escape the accommodation staff servicing the rooms daily but I feel that this was an isolated incident.

We certainly would like to apologise for the noise of the fire alarm and unfortunately this was activated during the night as our fire alarm panel works with smoke and heat sensors which is an automated system and my night colleagues should have explained the reasons to all guests when the time was appropriate.
I would be delighted to converse with you on the phone if you have the time at some stage over the coming days and my details are attached.
Best Regards,
Paul O’Sullivan
Deputy General Manager
posullivan@themalton.com
00 353 64 6638011
Clonakilty, Ireland
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We have stayed in the malton many times over the years and as usual our last trip there over the summer was perfect. The Location is so central and yet so quiet and peaceful with the lovely gardens. The staff were so helpful and friendly. Cant wait for my next visit to the hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Just back in Dublin after 3 great nights in the Great Malton Hotel.The staff are courteous,thoroughly professional.I really enjoyed my few days-The food is beautiful,and the swimming pool and health club is spotless.The gardens are well kept,and it is so relaxing to walk around them,or sit down and turn off.I will recommend it to my friends,and I myself will return in the near future,Thank you for a relaxing break.

Room Tip: go for the higher floors overlooking the scenic gardens-stunning view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed here close to Christmas a few years ago. It was lovely, nice warm fire place in the bar area with luxurious arm chairs, big christmas tree in the lobby. The food was nice and our room was comfortable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Even if Killarney isn't on your schedule to visit, you need to go just to stay in this hotel-The Malton. Not only is hotel fabulous, but it also has the best conceirge I have ever dealt with. Mary Mae Monagle is a SUPERSTAR!! She was able to arrange a tour and made sure my mother (who had broken both wrists earlier on our trip) got front row seats. She also went out after work, purchased some ointment, and came back to apply it for my mom. Afternoon tea was great as is the breakfast. Well worth the price.

• Stayed August 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I was there for six nights with a big group and all in all they handle things nicely. The rooms were fine but some were better than others. Breakfast was good but the wait staff could use a little work. They seemed more interested in setting up places than serving the people who were already there. The food on the buffet was very good especially the breads and cheeses. The room for our banquet dinner was a little small for the group. I had red wine spilled all over my mostly white outfit and they immediately told me to go change and bring them back the outfit. They cleaned it for me and got all the wine and stains out .Very nice. The concierge ( a lady) was very, very helpful and so was the front desk and hotel staff.. The breakfast dining staff needs a little work, just a little. One lady always seemed to be over worked or wanted to appear that way, almost comical to watch. Great location. I did enjoy my stay. Ask for a top sheet if you need one and you have to go down to the bar for ice, which I found to be the norm for Ireland and Scotland. I did used their workout room which was nice for a hotel. The hotel is very elegant and old charming.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends