“One of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in”
Review of The Malton Hotel

The Malton Hotel
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Montreal, Canada
“One of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights in October while travelling around the south west and I was blown away by everything about it, my dad had booked it so I had no idea what to expect. Beautiful old building which has been exceptionally well refurbished inside.

I've travelled a lot over the years and stayed in some lovely hotels but overall this was one of the nicest and most memorable ever. I found the interior design impeccable down to the smallest detail, including the fact that no matter where you sit in the expansive lobby, someone comes over immediately to ask if you want tea or coffee. The little nooks and crannies throughout are furnished for taking a seat and relaxing - in fact everywhere you go there are armchairs and sofas.

Our rooms were much larger than we'd expected, not sure if they were the classic doubles or deluxe, possibly the latter. We found the service excellent in general, I thought the small gym was ideally equipped and perfectly functional, and food in the restaurant was outstanding.

No gripes worth mentioning or that detracted from the experience. As a family we've decided to make this a destination for shared weekends away and we're about to book a weekend as a gift for our parents' wedding anniversary.

Can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: Our rooms overlooked the back garden which also gave us a very dramatic view of the sunset and cloud...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Polish first
Ireland
Reviewed November 25, 2012

A group of us go for a girls day out every November and for the last two years we have called into the Malton Hotel Bar for lunch. The first year was great and I really didn't think the second year could be as good.I was wrong.

From the second we arrived to the second we left we were really impressed with the service, decor, and staff.

The decor was beautiful particularly the Christmas tree whic were stunning yet understated. The open fire in the bar was very welcoming and we were delighted that the table next to it became vacant while we were there (and the staff had no problem with us swiitching to).

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Small things like bring extra forks and toast when we were sharing a starter was excellent service you do not always see.

The menu had a good range and was suprisely good value given the surroundings and excellent services.

The attention to detail with presentation was amazing. The chips served in the baskets alone were a stand out feature.

I know we were just ther for lunch but already we are now planning a girly weekend there, I am planning to take my parents and brother there for my mother's 60th. Another member of lur group has already booked in for her wedding anniversery next year and is hoping her daughter will book her wedding there.

The hotel is a credit to every member of staff

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Galway
Reviewed November 22, 2012

From the moment we stepped inside The Malton Hotel we felt welcome and cared for. The staff are amazing and could not do enough to make our stay special. This is more than an ordinary hotel! This was one of the old Great Southern Hotels and remnants from that time are evident in abundance throughout. The shined up EPNS tea and coffee pots with the Great Southern logo engraved on the side reminds one of the quality of the silver service of a by-gone era. Yet, this high quality service is here in abundance in the Malton. The furniture is old style ornate, mostly with deep seats and most comfortable whether one chooses the library for quiet time or the bar where there is more action. The food is top class both in the bar and in the restaurant. The breakfast is amazing with multiple choices of high quality food. There is something for everyone whether one is on a healthy eating week or an indulging week!! This is our first time staying here and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: While we had a beautiful spacious and most comfortable room with a partial view of the mountains Whe...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Although it is some time since we had our wedding in the Malton, we were so impressed with their service and professionalism that I am determined to finally write this overdue review. We had checked out all the other hotels in Killarney (and some elsewhere in nearby counties). But from the moment we met Emer, the wedding coordinator in the Malton we knew we wanted to celebrate with our friends and family in the Malton. The facilities are excellent. The hotel was booked up for larger weekend weddings for almost a year (a very good sign) but having been guests at relatives' weddings in the Malton and been much impressed by the food and facilities we changed our dates to a summer Thursday. We made the right choice. Emer and her colleagues made our preparations stress free - we had complete trust in the hotel and indeed, our visits there and phone conversations were always a pleasure and a joy. Emer helped us with everything - decoration, entertainment, reminding us when we had to make decisions - we were in safe hands. The hotel is obviously used to catering for and planning for weddings and it showed in all the little details on the day - and they did a really good rate for the guests. We really had very little to do except taste the menu and try out some wine - there was no work involved for the couple getting married except to sit back and enjoy! The staff were full of good humour right up to last late drinks. The gardens were great for photographs and the ballroom fitted over 350, although smaller weddings are catered for also. As the wedding ballroom is separate from the main hotel wedding guests have the best of both worlds and can celebrate without disturbing other guests. The breakfast next day was great and we got an extension for a late breakfast. The wedding was on a Thursday so we could prolong the celebrations and the lunch for close relatives next day was again excellent, and in a private room. We ourselves stayed for a few days after the wedding (as did some of the guests who made it an excuse for a mini break and spent tme visiting Killarney's other attractions ). John the chef was exceptionally helpful and flexible: it is clear he loves his job and knows what works foodwise at a wedding.After our menu tasting (and at the end of what must have been a long day for him) he spent over half an hour with us chatting about our ideas for the menu. And we were given a lovely suite on our wedding night. All in all I recommend this hotel highly for weddings: the bookings speak for themselves I guess. If the locals like it, then you can't go wrong!! Incidentally, my sister in law organised my hen for the Ross which is a smaller sister hotel, and this also exceeded anything we could have expected.

Room Tip: Just ask when you ring, there are lots of rooms in the hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank roisinnora
Waterford
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Malton on the October bank holiday weekend. The first tip I can give is to ring the hotel directly to get the best deal, we knocked €30 off the price and got an evening meal added in to the online price.

The hotel itself is beautiful, impressive from the minute you drive in the gates. The welcome is warm, both from the open fire and the friendly staff, and the lobby is beautiful.

We had dinner and breakfast in the dining room and can highly recommend both. The selection for breakfast was one of the best I've seen...try the pancakes

The pool area is nice, with a lovely walkway down to it...unfortunately there was a wedding on In the ballroom beside the pool (incidentally I had a peep in and it looked beautiful) which meant that if you are ducking down to the spa or pool in your trackie, you tightened up walking alongside the well dressed wedding guests!!(not a huge problem, more of an observation).

The location of the Malton could not be better, right beside the retail outlet, and literally minutes walk into the main part of town.

My only complaint about the malton is that I was disappointed in my room, now don't get me wrong, it was huge, spotless, and adequate. But that was it, it was adequate...for such a beautiful hotel, I was expecting a room with character, but once you closed the bedroom door you could be in any hotel in the country, there was nothing setting these rooms apart from your regular 2-3star hotel.

I hope this doesnt sound too harsh as in all, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in the malton, and will hopefully return. The staff, location and the actual hotel itself make it worth a visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
cork
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Stayed here for a wedding. The food was great. The breakfast the following morning was top class and very fresh, the best I have had in a long while!!! The staff are very friendly. We stay here again and plan on buying family and friends gift vouchers for here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with clever-hotels.com

1 Thank corkman2000
carrickfergus
Reviewed November 16, 2012

From the rapid and painless check-in to the equally efficient check-out this is an extremely well run hotel and a great credit to the management. The public rooms are beautifully decorated and very pleasureable to sit in. The dining room is magnificent with its fine vaulted ceiling. Both in the bar and in the dining room the food is very good and very fairly priced. The cheapest bedrooms are a bit plain but comfortable and meet all of one's requirements. My only caveat is that at breakfast the waitresses can sometimes be slightly off-hand and a wee bit disorganised - but the breakfast itself is excellent. This hotel represents great value - especially the mid-week breaks.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business