“Wonderful stay at Malton Hotel!”

Great Southern Killarney
Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We just returned from our first trip to Ireland and one of the accomodations arranged on our bus trip was at the Malton Hotel in Killarney. The location was perfect because it was situated right in the town so we were able to walk to the shops and the pubs. There was a factory outlet mall right next door and the grounds were beautiful. Our room faced the gardens and tennis court so we really felt we staying in a manor like setting.

Our room was beautiful and there were plenty of places to read (including a wonderful library filed with picture books on the area) or to sit or visit with members of our tour. The staff and service in the dining room were exceptional, as were the dinners and Irish breakfasts. We wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Malton Hotel on a return trip in future!

1  Thank 2Canadians_11
Write a ReviewReviews (2,383)

Reviewed June 20, 2012

Stayed at the Malton in June for 2 nights with my wife and son. We picked this hotel because of the very convenient location, the swimming pool and the price which was reasonable for 2 nghts B&B + 1 Dinner.

When we arrived (approx 2.30pm) our room (junior suite) was not ready and we were asked to wait in reception. We didn't have to wait more then 10 minutes but it would have been nice to have been offered a refreshment while we waited.

The junior suite was nice, nothing extraordinary, we chose it for the extra space for 5yr old's bed.
After our long drive I plonked myslef down on the bed only to fine 2 long hairs on the covers - definitely not mine!

We used the swimming pool twice during our stay and it was very quiet both times which was just as well because it is very small as are the changing rooms and the shower units are ancient. As per another reviewer, I would hate to be traipsing through someones wedding reception to and from the pool.

Breakfast was first class with plenty of choice from a decent hot menu to fresh fruit, cold meats, salmon, fresh breads, juices, etc. All very good - my son especially liked the pancakes and waffles.

Dinner on the other hand was a disaster! The service was very poor and the food was average. My son's starter was unrecognisable from what we had ordered and none of us could eat it. The chips I ordered with my main course were severely undercooked. I bit into one chip and left it back in the bowl and when I eventually got someone's attention and had the chips replaced, I found my bitten-into chip was back in the bowl the 2nd time around!!!
For dessert we asked for plain ice cream with no sauce for my son - it came with sauce in a badly chipped bowl.

Upon check-out we were never asked if we enjoyed our stay; the ladies at reception were having great difficulty printing out our bill and maybe just forgot, but it was systematic of the lack of thought that permeated our stay.

Would I return? Possiblly. The room was fine, the breakfast was very good, the reception area and bar are very nice, the price was reasonable. The service and dinner poor.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DublinJoseph
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review . I am very disappointed and concerned that your short break was not as enjoyable as it should have been, we have discussed at length your experience with my collogues and all relevant members in all departments. I would like to apologies sincerely to you and your family and assure you that this experience was not the normal experience. I am glad to see that you may return and I would appreciate if you would contact me directly, as I would like to meet you and your family to ensure you have a true Malton experience.
Regards,
Paul O'Sullivan ,
Deputy General Manager
064 638011
posullivan@themalton.com

Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed here this weekend for a short break with my parents and our one year old son. We chose the hotel for location and because it had a swimming pool which would be great for entertaining the baby. The exterior, reception and bar are lovely but less than overwhelming after that, I expected alot more of the rooms for a 4 star hotel. The absolute worst part however though was when we all decided to head to the pool. We rang reception who told us that we had to walk through the pre wedding drinks reception that was taking place to get there and back. There was no way I would walk through a private party, particularly on my way back in my flip flops, it was absurd! Moreover, if that was my wedding I would hate strangers walking through the middle of my decorated room!! I made a complaint and they sent the duty manager to my door. I can only describe him as rude and condescending,and just kept repeating that we were welcome to use the pool. He lacked any empathy or understanding for our issue which was even more frustrating. When we checked out reception asked if we were enjoyed it, i hesitated and said it was fine. Another lack of touch here, if they had of apologised again for inconvenience instead of just asking a question they were not really interested in hearing the answer to I may not have written this review.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank LFSK
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

Dear LFSK,
Thank you for your recent comments, I would like to offer you and your family our sincere apologies for your disappointing stay last week. I have discussed the issue with my colleague and certainly our objective in the malton Hotel is to ensure that all guests have a wonderful time during their stay. The wedding party have a dedicated drinks reception area and it happened last week that the guests also used the adjacent foyer which is the access means to the leisure centre .
The Manager that evening who visited your bedroom to ensure that you and your family would be in a position to enjoy using the leisure centre as soon as possible. He wanted to explain that the wedding guests would be moving into the dinning room shortly so and your family could come at your ease and I am at a loss why you felt that he spoke rudely to you and your family.
Regarding the bedroom product, we have a large variety of bedrooms with in the hotel and we have completed our refurbishment programme for 2012 and we will be finalizing a programme shortly for 2013.
We have placed a large emphasis on customer care and ensuring that all guests have a terrific Malton experience and this has worked very well for guests and the Malton over the last few years.
I would be delighted to discuss these comments with you and you can contact me on my details underneath.
Kind Regards,
Paul O'Sullivan
Deputy General Manager
posullivan@themalton.com
064 6638011

Reviewed June 18, 2012

My partner and I had a wonderful two night stay at this beautiful hotel as part of a 10 day trip to Ireland. I want to particularly thank the concierge staff, including Mary Monagle, for their incredible assistance in making decisions about how to best spend our time in Killarney.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Celebrating our wedding anniversary, we were hoping for a good stay and thankfully we were not disappointed. We were in a Deluxe room. Adequately spacious and in the old House, the room was very clean and comfortable, but for the Duvet cover being torn! Our stay included dinner. Seated at our table at 8, service was excellent and staff very friendly. The food to follow was great. The deserts were even nicer! A trip to the bar where you can add a cocktail to end the night. Table service an added bonus. Breakfast is served from 7 - 11 each morning giving plenty of time for a lie-in. No buffet which is even better. All freshly cooked. Overall a very relaxing stay. We did not use the spa or leisure facilities so cannot comment on these but would recommend hotel highly.

Room Tip: Always put chain on door as another guest entered our room with his swipe key. Not so sure this sho...
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Just spent 6 nights here, using it as a base for playing many of the great golf courses of Southwest Ireland (Ballybunion, Waterville, Dooks, Old Head, and Lahinch). It's a great place to stay: convenient to all the restaurants and shops in Killarney, while also being a few steps away, allowing for peace and quiet (A friend stayed at a spot in town last time, and found it noisy). My room was nicely appointed, with lots of light. I looked out onto the bucolic garden behind the hotel, which I regret not visiting: too busy with Guinness in the bar. I ate in the hotel's pub one night (Tandoori Chicken, which I liked), while others ate there several nights (rave reviews for the Fish and Chips). Breakfasts were absolutely first rate. Next time I'll try the Belgian waffle. Lastly, the staff went out of their way to make everyone in our group of ten very happy. Were I to go back to this part of Ireland (I hope to!), I'll stay at the Malton for sure!

Room Tip: Avoid staying right on top of the pub in nights when there is live music. Management happily changed...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I am a golf tour operator and just spent another great week at the Malton with a group of 13. They absolutely loved everything about the Malton.
I have been using the Malton as my home base in Killarney for years. It is truly what the Irish would call a hidden gem.
The food, beverages, service and location make the Malton ideal for a stay in Killarney.
The staff is superb from Katarina, Aine', Olga and the rest of the girls to who is probably the finest concierge anywhere - Bjorn. He will do anything for you.
Here is an example - we had one piece of luggage and a passport left in rooms. He made arrangements to have them driven to our next destination over 2 hours away the same day.
I don't know who rates hotels in Killarney but this a 4 star hotel that should be a 6 star !!!

Room Tip: If you are going to use the spa a lot stay on the first floor wing close to it. Also I enjoy a quiet...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends