“BIG DISAPPOINTMENT! NOT WORTH THE MONEY!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Malton Hotel

The Malton Hotel
Ranked #14 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Ireland
“BIG DISAPPOINTMENT! NOT WORTH THE MONEY!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

We stayed at the Malton for a wedding. Our first impression was of the room. If this is what a 5 Star room is supposed to look like, then DON'T stay here - what a disappointment!!! Plain, drab, no color, no warmth of any kind. Small bathroom with a dirty shower curtain and an old bathtub. The suites might be nice, but the basic room was not even close to many 2-Star hotels we've stayed in. TWICE the maid knocked on the door BEFORE 10am and even opened the door on one occasion! We were still in bed as the wedding went on until the wee hours of the morning. Unfortunately, breakfast was a disappointment for me; I have yet to understand this type of mentality but why does no one want to serve a single female? As an American, I'm used to tipping well, and yet, we're STILL discriminated against. But in Ireland where tips are generally not required, the stigma still remains and it was no exception at The Malton. I sat there while a couple on one side of me and a single gentleman on the other side of me were served BEFORE me! I would never stay at the Malton again nor would I ever recommend it. There are much lovelier places to stay; one being the Killarney Avenue Hotel where you're treated with dignity and respect and with much much nicer accommodations.

Room Tip: Perhaps a suite would be best.
1 Thank nancy7711
Maltonsales, General Manager at The Malton Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Firstly my sincere apologies that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. The Malton is a four star hotel, a lot of our guests think the hotel has a five star rating it is a great compliment for us and I think the fact that the property is a beautiful historic building dating back to 1854 with friendly service and dedicated staff people get this impression.

In relation to your comments about our staff I sincerely apologise for the interruption by our housekeeping staff, it is something that should not happen but thank you for bringing this to our attention. We certainly do not have discriminatory policy in place in The Malton and we are an equal opportunities employer. I am looking into your specific comments with regard the restaurant to ensure this incident was a one off. I have included my contact details at the end of this email and if you would like to discuss the issues any further please do not hesitate to contact me, but in the meantime please be assured your comments will be taken on board.

Conor Hennigan

Tel: + 353 64 6638000

Email: chennigan@themalton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Polish first
Cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

Wanting to make a special trip for my 30th Birthday, my partner and I spent a lot of time choosing where we could stay and eventually decided on the Malton and I'm pleased we did. The rooms are immaculate and spacious. We stayed in the Junior Suite. The service is good and friendly if a little slow at times and the food is amazing.

My partner cant recommend the Chowder highly enough. The portion sizes from both the restaurant and the bar are generous and delicious. Praises to the chef and his staff.

Location wise, its perfect. Set right in the heart of the town and yet just out of reach of any noise at night. We're staying here for two nights, and will sadly be leaving tomorrow but I've no doubt tonight will be just as enjoyable as the last.

It seemed to us ( we're a young couple) that the majority of guests here are of the older generation but we see that as a plus. No noisy children and a calm atmosphere. We even took time to relax in the lounge areas which we'd avoid in other hotels.

The only down side is that there is no wi-fi in the rooms, only in the public areas.

I'd definately recommend it to anyone.

Cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

My Wife and I had a three day over 55s Mid- Week Break, 3B&B/3Dinners at The Malton Killarney, early November 2011. The Four Star Hotel had the ambiance and quality of a Five Star Hotel , superb value. The table de hote menu had a wide range of choice.Additional charges applied in respect of the a la carte menu.The food each night was cooked as requested and well presented.Marvellous Food. The service was excellent . The wine waitress, Yanna, was very helpful assisting in our choice of dinner wine, each night.The purpose built hotel of at least 100years ago had a very welcoming feature in the enterance hall ,a large open coal fire.The room was very comfortable and spacious.The Concierge and the Reception Staff were friendly and efficent.I am looking forward to my next break in this ideal location.

1 Thank mianla
Kinsale, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

I stayed in The Malton Hotel in early October with my mother as a belated birthday present for her. We wanted a relaxing two days with spa treatments and dinner which was more or less what we got.

We arrived at 5 and checked straight in to the hotel. The room was standard which was all we had booked with a nice view over the gardens which are extensive and well maintained. The room's interior was average.
We went to the pool in the evening which was nice but the changing rooms where tiny, sanua looked like an after thought that was not big enough for 4 people! In the bottom of the Jacuzzi there was sand which I reported at the desk but which was still there the following day!
The Spa treatments where the highlight! although the rooms are just small and next to the gym but the girls where fantastic and very professional!
Dinner was a also so good that we ate there both nights!
The bar staff deserve a special mention as they where fantastic and attentive!
The major down part was that on the first evening the sheets on my bed where dirty. when i asked for fresh sheets the night porter came and gave them to me, I had to make my own bed in a hotel! I reported this at the desk and no one contacted me or apologized for this! There was also splatters on the bed base that looked like someone was sick and it had not been properly cleaned!
However Despite this serious lack of cleanliness overall it was still a fantastic stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

What a wonderfull old hotel with a unique old world athmosphere and friendly efficient service.
It was our first wedding anniversary and I wanted somewhere special, we were not disappointed.
A perfect venue for a special occasion.. We had a lovely meal in what one can descripe as a spectacular period restaurant. Great location , right in the centre of Killarney.

WELL DONE

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Western Ireland, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

Stayed here for 5 nights again during the month of August after being away for a number of years. Hotel has changed hands since I last visited but the quality and service is just as good.

The staff in this hotel are a credit to the establishment. Hotel has a wonderful old world character and is situated in a beautiful location on nice grounds.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

Came back to the Old Great Southern to celebrate a civil partnership after a few years. It was like stepping back into the arms of Grandmother Time with the coal fire the beautiful red flowers, the library and this was just reception. A porter was clearing our car before we asked at reception, everything was impeccable service with a smile, nothing was too much bother. The rooms were beautiful, the wedding party were in the older part of the hotel looking onto the railway station. Yet again an encounter with Old Mother Time. The food at the wedding was excellent catering for everyone tastes, service was quick but not rushed, attentive but not invasive, hot but not to scald one. Everyone left the wedding feeling refreshed nad having enjoyed their stay. This does not just happen but comes from a motivated staff some who have been there nearly 40 years. What more can be said except go and experience this 'little bit of heaven' yourself!

Room Tip: Go for old part of hotel