Muckross Riding Stables B&B
Cahernane House(Killarney)
  • Breakfast included
Good 3.5/5
Great 4.5/5
All reviewskillarney national parkjack russellring of kerrylaundry servicegood nights sleepkillarney areabreakfast was deliciousquiet locationclose to townvisiting killarneydingle peninsulapuppiessheepmaureenmuckrossemuproperty
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 20, 2011

This review is actually for the pet farm which the owners have recently opened. We did not stay at the B & B.

My partner, daughter, in-laws and I were in Killarney for the day, our daughter had being going on about a pony-ride so we relented. My partner called the pet farm and advised the lady on the other end that we had a 4 year old who wanted to go for a pony ride, literally sitting on the pony would have sufficed, it was 5.45pm was it too late? Not at all, the lady suggested we come on up and they'd see what they could do, I think she actually said they wouldn't be turning anyone away.

So we arrive at the farm, beautiful setting and it's nearly 6pm. We meet the gent at the reception/shop of the pet farm. We explain to him our dilemma, no problem says he as long as we pay €5 per adult (4 of us) and €7 for the child. These were his prices, they were clear on a noticeboard in the shop. My partner then explained that she had been speaking to a lady on the phone who said they could accommodate us. But no apparently they couldn't. In his own words he said he could have "5 cars in in the time it would take to put your child on a pony", not at 6pm you won't! I then suggested that I would take my daughter in myself and I would pay the €12 it would cost for the 2 of us. Unfortunately he was now seeing euro signs in his eyes and would not budge unless everyone entered the pet farm! We left.

Ireland is in a recession, but it's not effecting this chap at all. I'm not sure if he said there's no recession in Kerry but it wasn't far off! In a word: AVOID

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank David C
Reviewed August 14, 2011

On a trip to Ireland with my nieces we stayed at the Mucross Riding Stables B+B and decided it got a A+. The owners were friendly and helpful especially when we showed up a day early! We loved the picturesque setting and took many walks around the property enjoying the many farm animals. My nieces loved playing with puppies and horseback riding was fabulous.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2011

As soon as we arrived the lady (MAUREEN) did even look at our faces and only said: "I do not know which room to give you". She started pushing us to get a more expensive room despite we booked it with over one week of notice.
Bad welcome, bad service! Never recommend it to anyone.
The location is very fascinating. I would recommend to stop by and let your children play with animals rather than staying at the b&b

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank luckdandy
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Sheeps , horses , dunkeys , rabbits , etc .... you have it all right in front of your eyes ! You have breakfast in the morning with the view of sheeps on the front lawn and beautiful horses and the dunkeys are always wishing you " bon appetit " their own way .
So funny !
The Host " Maureen " is so nice ! You'll love her ! She'll make you feel right at home !
I was sad to go ...
Muckross Riding Stables is a place for you to have a taste of the country side of Ireland and its people and it's located in an enchanted area and only 5 mins walk from the entrance of the beautiful Killarney National Park . Don't miss it !!!!

Room Tip: I got there unannonced and they found me a very small room to accomodate me. But again , you go there for the decor !
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Moi011
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We very much enjoyed our 2-night stay at Muckross B&B during our 3-week vacation in Ireland. Everything was absolutely perfect: Our room, the bed, the comfy sitting room, the delicious home-cooked breakfast, the beautiful surroundings, the charming animals, and, most of all, the O'Donovans' kind and gracious hospitality. Our room was larger than most B&B rooms, the view was lovely, and we enjoyed our pleasant walks around the grounds.

The location was perfect for touring the Ring of Kerry and the Gap of Dunloe, and was also just a few minutes from downtown Killarney. The only suggestion I might have is that they add wireless Internet, but being unplugged for a couple of days is definitely not the end of the world, especially in such lovely surroundings.

One day I hand-washed a few articles of clothing and hung them on the clothesline in the back yard. It rained while we were gone that day (with my clothes on the line), but when we got back I found my clothes all dry and neatly hanging in the closet in our room. I know that was above and beyond the call of duty.

What really made Muckross B&B a highlight of our Ireland vacation is that Maureen made us feel as if we were special guests in her home rather than just just customers. We highly recommend this B&B and would definitely stay there again. :-)

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple