“Beautiful woodwork”

Ranked #6 of 145 Killarney B&B and Inns
Girard, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful woodwork”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Our stay at the Algret House was very nice and Greta made us feel very welcome. Greta's husband appears to be a master craftsman when it comes to woodworking - it is beautiful. Our breakfast was very nice and we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I can't say enough great things about Algret House. I traveled through Southern Ireland on a solo trip for two weeks - during this trip I stayed at 4 different hostels and Alget was meant to be an escape from the hostel life for a few nights - I was extremely please with this decision. If you're traveling by train it's about a 20-25 minute walk from the station to Algret which is doable but I believe there's cabs available as well.

I was exhausted and hungry when I arrived and Greta welcomed me in with a warm smile and helping hands. She quickly checked me in and offered a few suggestions for dinner spots not too far from her B&B. While I washed up she made reservations for me the next day to tour the ring of Kerry at my request. She has an in with one of the tour company's which meant I got door to door service and was well taken care of my entire visit.

The rooms are nothing fancy but they're clean and comfortable with enough space to offer relief from the small hostels I'd been staying in. The breakfast was cooked to order and quite delicious!

This is a great value for the service and quality you receive. STRONGLY recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed October 20, 2012

There are not enough good things that can be said about Greta Doyle and Algret House. Situated close enough to Killarney town to be an easy walk, but removed enough to be peaceful and quiet at night, Algret House is charming, comfortable -- and 2 years running has been my favorite place to stay in Ireland while touring. Greta Doyle makes it feel like home and she has a great sense of humor. The rooms are spacious and cozy (my traveling companions and I have occupied the family room (2011), and a twin room and 2 single rooms (2012)). The rooms and bathrooms are immaculate. I would capitalize immaculate, but that would be too dramatic. The water pressure is good and there is plenty of hot water. The beds are also very comfortable. The breakfasts are generous and delicious, with both hot and cold offerings. We stayed 3 nights and wished we could have stayed more. You know a B&B is good when you have trouble leaving, wish you had spent more nights there, and can't wait to get back. And... when you feel like you are leaving a friend when you say goodbye to Greta.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed at Algret House recently on our trip around Ireland and had a very enjoyable stay.
Greta is a fantastic hostess: friendly and helpful.
The room we stayed in was spacious, clean and had everything we needed.
The breakfasts provided by Greta were delicious.
Algret House is in a great location too: just a very short walk into Killarney town centre.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This was my third visit to Killarney in less than a year, Algret House was ideally placed for the town centre and an easy stagger home at 3am!!
I have stayed in 3 different places, this being the 1st B&B! If you want somewhere that is quiet yet close to town and you like to be made VERY welcome then you can't go far wrong with Algret House!!!
Thank you Greta, I really enjoyed my stay with you - even Saturday with the hangover from hell !!! I will be back :-)
Vince.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed with Greta in the lovely Algret House during our family vacation in Ireland. Algret House is separate from the the main house so it has more of a hotel feeling. Killarney is a 5 minute walk along neighborhood streets. Very quiet neighborhood. The breakfast was delicious and she made our boys, 16 and 13, feel at home. Both rooms were plenty big - we spent most of our time out and about. We had two rooms and the bathrooms were a great size for a B&B. Greta was charming and friendly; she helped set up a last minute tour of the Ring of Kerry. Overall a very inviting and warm environment. Highly recommend!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I stayed with Greta in her beautiful home, a 5-minute walk from town in a lovely neighbourhood. Greta was born to run a guest house - always genuinely cheerful, and when she's talking with you, she makes you feel as if there isn't anyone else in the world she'd rather be talking to at that moment. The room had a lovely old-world charm to it, but was very modern; breakfast was scrumptious. Do yourself a favour when you visit Killarney and stay here!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo