“Perfect B&B”

Algret House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 143 Killarney B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 19, 2011

When you stay at a B&B you expect fairly perfunctory things: i.e. a bed and a breakfast. Anything else becomes a bonus. One of the great things about this attitude is you that you walk in the door of a house with low-set expectations, only to be pleasantly surprised.
Algret house definitely falls into this 'pleasantly surprised' category of B&Bs. The landlady - Greta - is extremely hospitable and will go to no end to accommodate. The house is central - a short walk away from the town. The room we stayed in was quiet, well-facilitated, above all clean and with a view of the mountains to boot. Breakfast was hearty, and with a few home-made scones thrown in for good measure.
All in all, it was a perfectly pleasant stay in a perfectly pleasant B&B.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 17, 2011

My best friend and I (both grandmas in our 50's) took our first trip to Ireland this year. A tour company booked the trip for us and we asked for hotels for six nights but for one bed and breakfast. He chose Algret House. We are SO GLAD he did! We were concerned about being in someone's "home" and didn't know what kind of privacy there would be. The room was fine, the beds were turned towards different walls so you weren't in each other's faces (as some of our hotels were). The bathroom was very small but you had everything you needed. Greta, the owner, had a small fridge for anything you needed to keep cold, and she had all kinds of adaptors available for guests. She gave us directions as to where we could find some good local food and how to get to the horse and buggy station. Best of all, you could walk to all of these places from her b&b. She was so helpful in giving us directions. She gave us some tips and we saved alot of time by taking a ferry to Doolin, our next stop. She fixed breakfast as we ordered it, there was no pre-made buffet as our hotels all had. We were so grateful for the good service and all of her assistance. We both agreed when we go back to Ireland in three years, we will stay at Greta's. We can't wait!

Room Tip: We liked the way the beds were set up in ours, I don't know how the rest of the rooms are laid o...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2011

During our recent to trip to Ireland, my husband and I stayed in 2 hotels and four B & B's. We found that each place had something distinct that made it great. Here, at Algret House, it was the hostess, Greta. She was the most pleasant and gregarious hostess. She greeted us warmly each day (we stayed two nights) and always seemed to be in a good mood! The breakfasts were wonderful (prepared by her husband). Greta made the most delicious scones!

As for the accommodations, the room itself was somewhat small and a little outdated (though that was not particularly bothersome to us). The house is a short walk from shops and restaurants of Killarney...making the location very convenient yet calm and quiet. Prior to sleeping we were grateful for the flat screen with cable TV. Also, they offer free wi-fi...invaluable to travelers who like to research where they are where they are going.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Algret House. We enjoyed our stay and loved meeting Greta!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Greta was a great host who couldn't do enough to help us. We were on a walking holiday, and being able to use the drying room to hang up our (very) wet clothes was a major benefit. It was a superb base for exploring the hills.
The rooms were well fitted out and the breakfast was lovely. The location is ideal as it's a 3 minute wlk into town.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I stayed here with family and friends last year when climbing Carrauntoohill for charity. The owner, who I believe is named Ingrid, was soooooo welcoming and genuinely interested in us as her guests. The breakfast was second to none, especially as we were up super early on our first morning for our climb. I shared a room with two friends, which was ample size for us. The bathroom was a tad on the small side with a sliding door, but it's not like we were there for a spa weekend, so we didn't really mind.
When we left, the owner asked us to rate them on trip advisor and I am only now getting around to it. It was always at the back of my head and I just thought that the hospitality was soooo good that I reall should post for them on trip advisor. Very competitively priced also. Don't think you will find much cheaper that close to the town (5min walk)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank JohnRene
Reviewed July 5, 2011

I actually have never written any reviews before, but I loved my B&B experience so much, I decided to go back and write about the great places I stayed in. Algret House was one of them. The place is obviously rather new, and it was really cozy. The room was spotless, and breakfast was delicious! Greta was very nice, and made my short stay very pleasant. I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank pz078372
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Algret house - the good...  The owner Ingred is a pleasure.  It is obvious she enjoys visitors and wants them happy.  The breakfast was wonderful and her scones were fantastic.  Her towels were by far the fluffiest and most luxurious that I encountered. The water pressure was good and she supplied a large bottle of body wash and hand soap.  The walk into town was 5 minutes max and was very convenient.    The bad. I could hear my neighbor snoring and had to put in ear plugs.  The bathroom was a bit small but was laid out in a way that made it better.  The room was a decent size with a desk and chair and nice flat screen tv. The bed was comfy but there was some type of mattress pad that must have been wool and the fibers were coming through the sheet causing my skin to itch much like wearing a wool sweater with nothing between it and your skin.  I ended up sleeping on the top sheet to put another layer between me and the culprit.  In general the place is clean but it is in need of general maintenance.  Cracks and mildew around tub, crack in the ceiling Ect. Beautiful and large sitting area for guest.  She even keeps a mini fridge out for guest to chill their drinks, and travel pluggs in case you forgot yours. Change the mattress pad to a less itchy one and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2011