“terrible water pressure in shower”
Review of Oaklawn House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Killarney
Oaklawn House
Ranked #73 of 143 Killarney B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 19, 2011

Only 2 of the rooms have pressurized water. I couldn't even rinse the shampoo out of my hair. I had to get a cup and try to rinse it out. It was a tiny dribble of water. The water that did come out was scolding. Unfortunately we had already booked for 2 nights. The walls were also very thin. I was up all night from the man next door snoring. It was heard even though I had ear plugs and a pillow over my head. The day we were in Killarney was very cool and rainy. The house was very cold and I couldn't get warm.
When asked about the water the owner said that they didn't want to have to pay to get the other rooms pressurized. I can't believe we would have been the only ones to ask about this.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Victoria1220

Reviewed May 28, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed for one night at Oaklawn House, after reading brilliant reviews on Trip Advisor. However, on arrival we were very disappointed. The room was very dated - probably decorated in the 1970's, but has not been updated since. The bed was extremely creaky and dipped in the middle.
Breakfast was okay - but we were not asked if we wanted a full Irish breakfast - we were just given one (good job I wasn't a vegetarian)!
We paid 70 Euros for one nights B&B - however, for the room we were given I would have expected to only pay around 50 Euros.
On our second nights in Killarney we stayed at Old Weir Lodge - which is a couple of minutes walk from Oaklawn House. We paid 80 Euros.....and it was amazing. The rooms were huge and it felt more like a 4 star hotel. I highly recommend staying at the Old Weir Lodge over Oaklawn House!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Crispy79
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Lovely home, and Mrs O'Connell is an excellent hostess. Breakfast was very good, and the room and house are beautiful. Would recommend to any all staying in Killarney as was on a quiet street, but very close to all of the action.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Oaklawn is off the main road, on a quiet side street. It is very well situated for an easy short walk into Killarney centre and also the National Park. The directions on the website are somewhat outdated: The Texaco Garage is now Amber and the Leanes Foodstore is now AsiaFoodstores (?).

The house is large, with a sitting area for guests and tea/coffee table, etc. The room was clean with a great shower - very powerful.

The breakfast room is locked and was only opened at 08.00am, when one of the waiting guests knocked on the door. The room is quite dim, with little charm. The breakfast was functional. Certainly not up to the frills of other B&Bs during the trip. I think it is harder for Rosemary as she does all the breakfast cooking, serving, etc on her own.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dutch_Anglo_Couple
Reviewed June 21, 2010

Would highly recommend this B&B. Rosemary was very friendly and helpful. It was very clean and the shower was great! They even had wash/face clothes for us Americans! We even had our own sitting area. Thank you….very nice touch. Great breakfast! Short walk to town.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 11, 2009

We weren't planning to stay in Killarney but simply ran out of daylight for driving. The B & B is on a road that looks more like an alley when you turn onto it off of the main road through town. The house and yard are pretty, and we were able to park our rental car in the B & B's small parking area. Our upstairs room was fine. I made myself a cup of tea in the little self-serve area (nice touch), then read and enjoyed the view from the little upstairs sitting area. It was an easy walk to shopping, dinner, and pub music. We felt safe walking home at night (dark, but not terribly late). Breakfast was okay.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2009

We stayed with Rosemary during our 2 days in the Killarney area. This B&B is convenient to the city center - walking distance - as well as tourist attractions for Killarney National Park. The hospitality is wonderful and Rosemary made the best recommendation for dinner at Paddy's. Rosemary is very accommodating to her guests and made our stay in Killarney probably one of our favorite stops in our 9 day visit to Ireland

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple