“Would not recommend” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Dublin
“Would not recommend”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2010

A group of us travelled to Killarney recently to go to a GAA match in the town, included in the Group were two men in their 50/60's. Before we even checked in, the owner introduced himself and told us abrubtly that we were not to make any noise between 8pm and 8am! Upon check in he told us we needed to pay up front for the room even though we had given credit card details on booking. We spent as little time as possible in the hotel after this. Rooms were fine - pancakes at breakfast tasted like they were reheats. On check out we queried payment up front policy with the owner and were told that a lot of hotels in the area have this policy - although having stayed all around Ireland before I have never been asked to pay up front. This hotel is right beside the Fitzgerald stadium so they should be used to people travelling down for matches.
All in all, would never stay here again

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TheHill16
JimONeill, owner at The Fairview, responded to this review, March 13, 2010
I wish to reply to your complaint that you lodged in relation to your stay.
It is front of house policy with large groups to make the guest aware of our quiet time policy, ie. for the comfort of all our guests, quiet time has to be observed between 8pm and 8am.
Secondly, the credit card supplied was not charged and could not be authorised for the group as a whole. We do not charge when guest makes the reservation.
However, we do charge on arrival, or occasionally on departure.

Sincerely yours,
James O’Neill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2010

We stayed in this guest house after christmas.It is in a very good central location. We got a lovely breakfast in the morning. The bedroom was a good size with a jacuzie bath so overall very comfortable for the price we paid. We did not have an evening meal but we met with guests who said it was very good. The one quib I have which has come up in other posts is the daft music the play in the corridors early morning when people would like to sleep in. It is very off putting and would make me consider if Iwould stay there again

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2010

I'm a little confused what to say about the Fairview as our first night stay was one of the worst I've ever experienced at a hotel/guest house though this was somewhat redeemed during the rest of our stay.
Our flight to Cork had been delayed so we arrived around 1am in the morning and shown to the ground floor room near the porters lodging. Obviously tired we but our heads down only to be awoken on three separate occasions during the night due to the door bell ringing. The sound insulation on the ground floor is truely terrible what ever you do do not stay on that level! At about 8.30am again we woke as dreadful music screamed out from the speakers in the hallway. Look I'm reasonably young and can handle a bit of noise but this was the final straw. In a rage I quickly got dressed and headed for management first demanding that Kerry Gee to be turned off and that we were moved to a different room. I guess fortunately for everyone he wasn't there and the odd chap in the dinner jacket told us to have breakfast while we waited. My girlfriend ended up dealing with James as I was still a tad grumpy. Fair play he moved us to a quiet room on the 2nd floor. Given we were there for a wedding we really didn't have time to find a new place and the new room was fine and the guest house in a handy location.
To reignite my mood however I have noticed they have charged me twice for one night and the prices certainly aren't whats quoted on the website...
Everything is clean and if you like full irish breakfasts and strong tea you'll love it. I can't say I would recommend it though the first impression my lasting one.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Wesley Chapel, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2010

I stayed at this hotel as part of a rail tour of Ireland. I wasn't really sure what to expect from some random B&B picked by a tour company, but this hotel was absolutely lovely! Our room was very confortable and the dining room was really nice. I was a bit caught off guard by the black pudding at breakfast, but everything else was really nice :-) I would definitely stay here again if I ever found myself in Killarney!

Stayed December 2009
Limerick
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2009

It was a weekend out after a long time and was very thrilled about it as a good rest was essential. We ewre suprised by the rooms. Front desk staff was just brilliant., Unfortunately, cant's say the same about the restaurant staff, they seemed completely indiferent and it was sad, because the food is just fabilous. Breakfast was nice also, though not su much choice. The wors part was dirty cups and plates on the breakfast table. In addition, if you're going to get some rest not for a night out, not the best place, as it is a central location BB with all the pubs around. All in all, a good place to stay for a girls/boys night out for avery good value!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Ennis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2009

The Fairview Hotel is very centrally located. Upon arrival we were offered an upgrade to an executive room for an extra €10. The room was just amazing - huge bed, huge tv and Jacuzzi bath. We both slept very well. The food was great also and all staff were very pleasant and helpful.

Unfortuntely there was no pool or spa at the hotel, which would have made the stay just perfect. Also the parking is just a short walk away, however it is a non-secure public car park and we had to get early in the morning to make sure we did not get a parking ticket!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Limerick
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2009

This was the nicest Guest house I have ever stayed in I am so surprised at the last negative comment. It is smack in the center- everyting is on your door stop. The rooms are fantastic,clean, and of the highest standard. Breakfast was unreal. You sit down and have an option of a beautiful full irish, omlettes, (many types) continental. I did not have much contact with staff- when I did they were polite- professional and helpful. I would recommend this to every one. The price was brilliant. I just cannot recommend this place enough. Tiny negative- not the most sound proof but everything else more than made up for it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends