“Like trying to sleep at a music festival...”
Review of The Fairview

The Fairview
Ranked #18 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
london
“Like trying to sleep at a music festival...”
Reviewed January 5, 2010

I'm a little confused what to say about the Fairview as our first night stay was one of the worst I've ever experienced at a hotel/guest house though this was somewhat redeemed during the rest of our stay.
Our flight to Cork had been delayed so we arrived around 1am in the morning and shown to the ground floor room near the porters lodging. Obviously tired we but our heads down only to be awoken on three separate occasions during the night due to the door bell ringing. The sound insulation on the ground floor is truely terrible what ever you do do not stay on that level! At about 8.30am again we woke as dreadful music screamed out from the speakers in the hallway. Look I'm reasonably young and can handle a bit of noise but this was the final straw. In a rage I quickly got dressed and headed for management first demanding that Kerry Gee to be turned off and that we were moved to a different room. I guess fortunately for everyone he wasn't there and the odd chap in the dinner jacket told us to have breakfast while we waited. My girlfriend ended up dealing with James as I was still a tad grumpy. Fair play he moved us to a quiet room on the 2nd floor. Given we were there for a wedding we really didn't have time to find a new place and the new room was fine and the guest house in a handy location.
To reignite my mood however I have noticed they have charged me twice for one night and the prices certainly aren't whats quoted on the website...
Everything is clean and if you like full irish breakfasts and strong tea you'll love it. I can't say I would recommend it though the first impression my lasting one.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Wesley Chapel, FL
Reviewed January 5, 2010

I stayed at this hotel as part of a rail tour of Ireland. I wasn't really sure what to expect from some random B&B picked by a tour company, but this hotel was absolutely lovely! Our room was very confortable and the dining room was really nice. I was a bit caught off guard by the black pudding at breakfast, but everything else was really nice :-) I would definitely stay here again if I ever found myself in Killarney!

Stayed December 2009
Limerick
Reviewed December 12, 2009

It was a weekend out after a long time and was very thrilled about it as a good rest was essential. We ewre suprised by the rooms. Front desk staff was just brilliant., Unfortunately, cant's say the same about the restaurant staff, they seemed completely indiferent and it was sad, because the food is just fabilous. Breakfast was nice also, though not su much choice. The wors part was dirty cups and plates on the breakfast table. In addition, if you're going to get some rest not for a night out, not the best place, as it is a central location BB with all the pubs around. All in all, a good place to stay for a girls/boys night out for avery good value!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Ennis
Reviewed November 14, 2009

The Fairview Hotel is very centrally located. Upon arrival we were offered an upgrade to an executive room for an extra €10. The room was just amazing - huge bed, huge tv and Jacuzzi bath. We both slept very well. The food was great also and all staff were very pleasant and helpful.

Unfortuntely there was no pool or spa at the hotel, which would have made the stay just perfect. Also the parking is just a short walk away, however it is a non-secure public car park and we had to get early in the morning to make sure we did not get a parking ticket!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Limerick
Reviewed November 8, 2009

This was the nicest Guest house I have ever stayed in I am so surprised at the last negative comment. It is smack in the center- everyting is on your door stop. The rooms are fantastic,clean, and of the highest standard. Breakfast was unreal. You sit down and have an option of a beautiful full irish, omlettes, (many types) continental. I did not have much contact with staff- when I did they were polite- professional and helpful. I would recommend this to every one. The price was brilliant. I just cannot recommend this place enough. Tiny negative- not the most sound proof but everything else more than made up for it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Connecticut
Reviewed September 21, 2009

We stayed at The Fairview for two nights while touring the Ring of Kerry. Killarney, in general, is a highly commercialized tourist trap, and there are many accomodation options, and while The Fairview was nice, the staff was not, specifically the man who runs the front desk during the day. Also, there is no parking here - instead you park half a block away, and must pay for parking during the day. There are more picturesque towns along the Ring to stay at, and certainly better value for the money even in Killarney elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Northern VA
Reviewed September 17, 2009

My wife and I checked in for just one night - and we ended up staying four nights! The restaurant inside was terrific...excellent food....and breakfast was even better - you could get anything you wanted for no charge!!! We didn't even need to eat lunch when we stayed here! The rooms were spacious, light, comfortable, and airy. Located in the most beautiful section of downtown Killarney, and only a few hundred feet from the bus station. Stay here! ~ Will and Rae

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple