“Penthouse Perfection”
Review of The Fairview

The Fairview
Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Everything was amazing about this place. We were offered the penthouse and it was simply stunning. 180 degree views of Killarney on our private patio, on our own floor was amazing. The staff was beyond exceptional, and the breakfast was delicious.

2  Thank Brittney S

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We just arrived Ireland after flying into Kerry and the Fairview was our first location. We were greeted with a gracious hostess who was helpful in directions and information. Our room was small but nicely appointed. It had a double and twin, which for the most part has been norm for our trip. The location is right in town making it a very convenient walking location. The breakfast the next day was very nice and service was excellent.

1  Thank kirstenetal
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We had an excellent experience with the Fairview Guesthouse. We had 2 rooms. One was a twin and full. The other we upgraded to a Junior Suite with a king size. Both rooms were very nice. Our view in the Junior Suite was right down the main street and beautiful. The staff was very helpful and booked a car and a tour for us at no charge. The breakfast was 1st class and service was excellent.

1  Thank Robbi T
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My Mother and Aunt have stayed at the Fairview for a week every October for last 14 years, they must be doing something right!! They love everything about it and health permitting they will continue with this tradition.

I stayed at the Fairview for one night (June 16) and I can see why my Mother returns so often. They run a tight ship and everything is as it should be, good size rooms, well maintained and exceptionally clean. The staff are friendly and helpful and the breakfast is top notch, I didn't have any other meals there so can't comment. The Hotel is right in the heart of Killarney town.

On its merits I'd feel comfortable recommending the Hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Patrick C
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Wow!! Returned home today from a fabulous weekend in Killarney. This was my 3rd time staying at this property and I would never stay anyplace else in Killarney. The location is ideal, only a stonesthrow from shops,pubs,restaurants etc. the breakfast was delicious and the staff are amazing!! On Sunday I fancied a lazy day so asked the cleaners to skip us that day, they still called to us with fresh towels and toilet roll and toiletries!! Fantastic service. We stayed in room 112, a junior suite! It was amazing! The most comfortable bed I have ever slept in!! The jacuzzi bath was fabulous. And even though our room was facing the street, the noise levels were not as loud as you would expect with such a central location, even with our window open at night!! I can not recommend this establishment enough!! Top marks for location, service and comfort.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The Fairview looks great in pictures and it does not disappoint when you arrive, it feels homely yet elegant. However, we found the rooms noisy at night with the shouting and singing of people partying in Killarney centre. Also the dining room is tiny and cramped at breakfast and it seemed like everything at the buffet was running out. Although the staff that were there were very nice there were totally inadequate numbers.
My biggest gripe was the price. Having booked a 3 day stay at 110Euro a night and then decided to change to a single night. A helpful lady at the Irish Tourism Board in Galway changed the reservation on my behalf and was astonished when the manager said if I was to reduce the stay the cost per night would raise from 110 to 180. Unfortunately I had to agree as they said they would charge my card 110euro if I cancelled the whole booking! So feeling really cheesed off I used my iPad to check the pricing on Trip Advisor for that same night. The cost was 80euro! So when I arrived i took this up with the manager who asked if I had a printout. Of course I did not as I had been touring on holiday, and he seemed to take the attitude that I was lying!!!! I was fuming. He said he would check himself and bring me the hardcopy - he did not bother.
The manager's attitude sucks. If I were the owner I would fire him immediately.
The area around the hotel is fine, but very touristy and full of visitors. We were glad to leave. The experience of the Fairview left me feeling really jaundiced towards Killarney, which is a shame as I am sure many people enjoy it.
Being ripped off then have an individual that clearly has no idea about customer service insinuate I was a liar, did not make me happy.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Bill_Fareham
JimONeill, Manager at The Fairview, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear Bill,
Thank you for your review.
The facts are untrue.
You booked a Junior Suite for 3 nights which we kept for you and you got a special 3 nights stay rate. You made a very late cancellation and according to terms and conditions it was 72 hours notice required. You then decided to stay just one night on a Saturday night. Obviously we did not charge you for the late cancellation, however the rate for a Saturday night only stay in a Junior Suite is a totally different than a 3 nights stay package.
Also the rate that you checked online on your iPad was PER PERSON sharing, not a total cost of the room.
We do not give in to threats of black mail.
Terms and conditions apply, unless someone is sick, had an accident or bereavement.
Les

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Nice, BUT beware. Web site shows it as a B & B but not always true. Original reservations quoted rate consistent with WEB site for B & B. However 2 weeks prior to check in the wording was changed to room only. Soured our stay. Make sure your reservations are very exact and read carefully. Do not assume it's a B & B and breakfast is included. They charge 12 Euro each.

2  Thank Dan334
JimONeill, Manager at The Fairview, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear Dan334,
As clearly outlined in our re-confirmation 3 weeks prior to your arrival, it was clearly stated in both our original confirmation and in the re-confirmation you requested, that the package you chosen was a "room only" Junior Suite package. You had also taken an advantage of the special 6 nights stay offer. You had 3 weeks prior to arrival to cancel your reservation, if you were not happy with the package you booked. We do offer several packages, room only and B&B packages and 5 different room types. I remember having a meeting with the other duty manager, clearly outlining that we were not giving in to your threat of blackmail by posting a negative review on Trip Advisor if we were not giving you a free breakfast. Room only means room only. We are glad that your wife and yourself enjoyed your stay with us and we wish you well for the future.