“What a Fantastic Place”

Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Harrogate, UK
“What a Fantastic Place”
Reviewed November 26, 2007

My wife and I were on a trip of Southern Ireland for our honeymoon and wanted to use Killarney as a base for the ring of Kerry.
We saw the reviews on Trip advisor and thought we would give the newly refurbed guest house a go.
We booked the penthouse suite, which at the time was not shown on the website. This was a truly fantastic room - massive bed, views towards the hills, fantastic spa bath, large TV and exceptionally presented and finished.
All the staff were friendly and highly professional, these guys put the other larger hotels in Killarney to shame.
The rest of the hotel is immaculate and great value for money for what you get.
Make sure you speak to Tommy in the morning serving breakfast if you want tips where to go off the beaten track - what a gent.

Thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — didn't stay long enough
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed November 23, 2007

Only negative was that the room was somewhat noisy (overlooked a kitchen, and hostel). Room was very nice though; free parking just down the street, great breakfast, and central location. This was probably the most luxurious of the guesthouses we stayed in a trip of 5 Irish cities (all for approx. 80 Euro).

• Liked — Cleanliness, location, free parking.
  • Disliked — Noise.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 29, 2007

Was driving around Killarney looking for somewhere reasonable to stay after no of nights travelling in West and staying in so-called 3/4star hotels. Stayed here and it surpassed all hotels we had stayed in during our tour. Would highly recommend this place and stay again. Rooms are extremely comfortable, staff very pleasant and helpful. Level of cleanliness second to none. Would never have been a person to choose guesthouses previously, however after this experience it was far superiour to many 3and 4 star hotels around

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
Charleston,SC
Reviewed October 16, 2007

We were two couples and stayed 3 nights- wish I could LIVE at the beautiful Fairview! They have an ICE machine!!! For those who love a cocktail before going out to dinner, it sure beats begging the bar for ice. The rooms were so comfortably elegant, and the owner James called us a half hour after check-in to be sure everything was satisfactory. He was a wonderful host - I don't understand those few snobby complainers in previous reviews. As for noise, we now realize how enjoyable and convienient it is to stay in the heart of town. All the pubs, restaurants and shops were within a few blocks around the hotel. I am an extremely light sleeper and I always have earplugs with me. In Waterford we stayed in a lovely hotel in a quiet neighborhood and had to drive around and search for parking downtown. Everything about our stay was perfect, including the breakfast.

• Liked — The beautiful rooms and common areas & the ice machine
  • Disliked — everything was great
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
Co.Cork, Ireland
Reviewed October 15, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Fairview for two nights 12th-14th of Oct, 2007.I booked online and found the Gentleman Bart who handles reservations very efficient and helpful.
On arrival we were greeted and quickly checked in. Our room was very clean and stylish. We had breakfast both mornings and found the Gentleman doing breakfasts very friendly and welcoming.
It was an ideal location and I would happily stay there again.

• Liked — Stylish layout of the rooms.
  • Disliked — Leaving!
London
Reviewed October 9, 2007

My sister and I arrived on 4th October. We had booked a twin room many weeks before but were given a double room with one double bed and a sofa bed. After the first night we asked if we could move as we had originally booked a twin. We were moved to the room right next to the ice machine. There is a constant hum in the room and when I asked James the owner about it, he said it was the air conditioning and for health and safety reasons there wasn't anything he could do about it. Consequently, I had very little sleep during the five nights that I stayed there. James definitely needs to go on a course to learn how to be civil to his clients. He does not have any idea. Another important point to add is that we booked a 6am wake up call the morning of our departure but it never happened. Luckily I woke up beforehand and we did get to the airport to get out 8.15am flight but it's a very bad show and could have led to us missing our flight. I would not stay there again. The only positive thing to add is that the chap in the restaurant (I think it's Tommy Regan) is very pleasant and genuinely tries to make the guests feel welcome.

Belo Horizonte- Brazil
Reviewed September 12, 2007

I ha been there from 11 september to 12 september. The rooms are beside a kitchen and they wash plates very noisy till 2:00 a.m. And begins at 7: 00 a.m. Just 5 hour for sleep.
They say that are a four star hotels, but really is 4 for star only for price. They don' t have temperature control, no safe, no good manners.
I claimed with the owner and he said " The noisy kitchen is from another hotel beside them". The point is, it doesn't matter,The hotel is very noisy specially at late night and early morning and they never warns guests about extreme noise and the worst conditions.I paid 90 euros for this room where I didnt sleep. After they take your credit car and money they don't care for you.
Never stay there. They are not 4 star, just a pricy hotel, that reallly is 1 or 2 stars. If you stay there, be prepared for don't sleep.You wiil pay just for stay the night inside a room.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Very noisy, terrible reception
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo