“Rude restaurant staff”

GreenLeadersGold level
ireland
“Rude restaurant staff”
Reviewed November 11, 2008

I recently stayed at the Brehon with 7 other women for a weekend. The hotel on a whole was lovely , luxurious etc., The Spa area and spa staff were excellent. But unfortunately we found the staff in the restaurant very curt, The wine server asked if "it was for economical reasons that we were not selecting a certain red wine? One of the women asked to send back her lamb noisettes as the blood was running out of them and she got a lecture from the head waitress attacking her for not requesting them well done - she wasn't asked and hadn't expected them to be red raw. At the breakfast when a waitress was asked "when your ready could we have a basket of toast please" she was very sharp and almost grunted, "When I get a chance" I don't know if it was a language difficulty or what but the waiting staff were very curt bordering on rude. I wouldn't be rushing back - also there are no tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms which you would get even in a simple b&b.

• Liked — spa
  • Disliked — restaurant staff and head waitress
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank corksth
SeanKillarney, General Manager at The Brehon, responded to this review, December 11, 2008
I am writing as General Manager of The Brehon regarding the review above. I sent a message to the writer of this review 3 weeks ago advising them that I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss their issues and asking them to contact myself directly, so that I could address them. To date I have recieved no response to this message.

I was disappointed to read the reviewers comments as I regularly recieve excellent feedback regarding our Restaurant Team and the individuals working in the Restaurant have recieved 100's of "Recommend staff member nominations" from our guests in comment cards this year. We at The Brehon are strongly committed to ensuring all our guests enjoy their stay with us and if in anyway our service has not been to a guest's expectations, we very much appreciate recieving feedback so that we can address the issue. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the matter with the writer of the above review.

Sean O'Driscoll
The Brehon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Polish first
cambridgeshire
Reviewed September 19, 2008

Hi we stayed at the brehon with finn travel coach party from 8th sept to 12th .We were treated like royalty excellent all round service .Dont understand why it is not 5*
Mcauley family

Stayed September 2008
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed September 11, 2008

I stayed at the 'Brehon' recently for my Brothers wedding!
I loved the hotel, I had a very nice room, and i loved the fact that the bathroom was separated from the bedroom by a little walkway containing the wardrobe! there were many different types of rooms!
the service in the hotel was excellent, the wedding banquet was top class! although the breakfast, was average
(although what really sticks in my mind were the fried eggs!! they were gone hard and grey yuk!! looked like they were there since 6Am, surely a staff member could have removed them) apart from that, we had a good overall experience!
great location, plus customer service rep' was a great help!nothing was a problem! some of our guests wanted to hire bicycles! no problem! the hotel provides them!
a great place

Stayed July 2008
ireland
Reviewed September 10, 2008

My husband & I stayed for 1 night in this hotel in March while attending a show next door in the INEC.
We arrived a little earlier than check in but were accommodated no problem. Check in is listed as 4pm which is abit later than the normal 2pm. Our room was a corner room overlooking the car park at the back & the INEC to the side. I do think for a 4 star that maybe they could some way improve the car park with plants flowers etc. It was abit drab looking out at it but on the other hand we had a view of the mountains from the other side window. The room was spacious & nicely decorated but I hope they will keep the rooms upgraded as there were a few worn looking bits on the chairs. Bathroom was clean with nice shower & toiletries. I didn't get a chance to use the spa as it was booked but did use the thermal suite which is complementary & as I had heard so many good reviews I though it would be something special but it was only average. I presume the spa relaxtation room is seperate to this as its not that nice but am not too sure. I found the pool water to be dirty with a griity sand on the floor. I would much prefer the Aghadoe heights or the Ballygarry in Tralee for their facilities. Luxury.
All other areas of the hotel were lovely, the reception was bright & airy & all other communal areas were comfy & cosy & you could easiily sit & relax with a drink or two. We had bar food while there was nothing wrong with it, it wasn't spectacular either & we were put sitting half way down a stairs on our own & it was abit dark & drab there. Waiter was only mediocre.
Breakfast was very good though with plenty of everything but we were sitting close to the table with the fry & hot food & alot of people standing near us while eating.
We were asked by passing managers the evening before in the hotel, were we enjoying our stay & how was everything.
I would stay in this hotel again as it has a nice atmosphere & who doesn't like Killarney.

• Liked — communal areas around the hotel
  • Disliked — car park
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed July 28, 2008

I came back to this hotel at the request of management to see could they better my stay from the last one.

I can honestly say that they certainly achieved their goal. We were both thrilled with the hotel and our stay.

My previous stay was on my own staying on business and I did not really use the facilities. This time, we used the bar, room service and the spa. All these facilities were flawless, service was impecabale, food satisfying.

There was live music playing in the bar which was quite busy. Riverdance finished across the road in the NEC so after 10:30 the place was full and the atmosphere was quite good.

We stayed in superior suite which if you look at my attached pictures you will see for yourself, it is truly amazing. Four poster bed, twin sinks, jacuzzi bath and all those little touches like bathrobes & slippers, bookcase with assorted books, balcony, fireplace.

We got a taxi to and from the town which cost around €7 each time. It would be around 30 minute walk.

The location is great, the views are amazing and the hotel is spectacular.

Well done Sean and Team!!

• Liked — Luxury & Opulence
  • Disliked — Being told I should have called down to Spa before turning up. One person was in the pool!!!!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank BertieBaron
Munich
Reviewed July 8, 2008

The Brehon is a lovely hotel, with spacious rooms and large bathrooms. It could have been nearly magnificent had the bathroom in our second floor corner double room not been poorly designed and executed.

There was one low-watt bulb in each of the two ceiling fixtures and an equally low-watt magnifying mirror. Combined with the beige ceiling, walls and floor, the general effect was of trying to shave or apply face make-up through brown eyedrops. There were no grab bars in or near the round bottomed tub, and in spite of the size of the room the shower was very small and inconvenient to enter without flooding the room.

The closet's hanging area was too short to accommodate a tall person's evening dress and there were no other hooks in the room or bath for this purpose. Hanging even temporarily in the shower was also impossible because the hangers were the "no-steal" type.

The bedside lights contained 40-watt bulbs, inadequate for reading. The desk chair was too low for comfort in using a laptop, and the two easy chairs were both less than comfortable and located far from any reading light.

In summary, this would be a good hotel for people with 20-20 vision, perhaps sportsmen with electric shavers and a short wardrobe, who are too exhausted at night to need good lighting for any activity. The breakfast is hearty and tasty, just the right start for a day on the golf links or by the fishing stream.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room amenities (lighting, bathroom, closet)
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Portlaoise
Reviewed June 9, 2008

Stayed there recently for a weekend and attended wedding in the hotel. The staff are fantastic, so pleasant and helpful. The hotel is decorated beautifully and the rooms are great. We had a room with a full terrace area, a great bonus! The restaurant is one of the best I've ever eaten at. The menu is really fantastic and the service is second to none. Can't wait to get back and try the Spa the next time

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends