“Great hotel”

The Brehon
Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel in great location. Big rooms and bathroom. Fab Spa and leisure facilities. Great food and choice very good for breakfast and dinner. Will return again. Have booked to stay here again in October.

• Stayed: May 2014
TheBrehonTeam, Manager at The Brehon, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Dear Eilabros,

It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am delighted to hear you will be back to see us again in October and we look forward to seeing you.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Stayed here for one night and was disappointed having read the reviews here. Overall I found the hotel lacked atmosphere and ambience. The bar was set up mainly as a gastropub and was not cosy, one had to go out to the vast foyer to sit by a fire and have a quiet drink. While the decor was modern the furniture and walls of my room were scratched and scuffed, the windows were filthy and there was a long crack in the base of the sink in the bathroom.
The quality of the food in the bar was mediocre - looked unappetising and was only lukewarm. I found the same with the hot breakfast buffet. While the selection of food was good, it was again lukewarm. The queue for the toaster was so long I decided not to have any. There was another toaster available but this was not in use.
My experience in the Angsana spa however was the highlight of my stay. I had the vitality suite to myself for an hour before indulging in a wrap and massage treatment under the hands of a very competent masseuse.
I completed a comment card on departure detailing the above and was surprised to receive a phone call from a staff member of the Brehon to discuss my comments. While she acknowledged the maintenance issues she was surprised by my food experiences but said she would look into them. I felt my comments were taken seriously and that I was listened to. She asked that I would return and give them an opportunity to show me that they normally do provide an excellent service

Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank CateCork

Dear Cate,

Thank you again for taking my call following your recent stay at The Brehon and for your feedback. I have passed your comments to our team and they will be taking action where necessary to ensure our guests are provided with the highest possible service. As discussed on the phone I do hope to see you back in The Brehon in the future and look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I stayed at the hotel recently with a group of friends. I booked the trip and found the staff from the first dealing in the reservations department were helpful and efficient. Upon arrival to the hotel, I was pleasantly surprised, the lobby is inviting yet spacious. The check in was quick and efficient, yet friendly. The food throughout the F&B outlets was lovely - we all really enjoyed the bar food and the dinner that was included in our rate was very good - it far surpassed my expectations. I also was very impressed by the house wines on the menu in the bar and restaurant - they were delicious and reasonably priced. The room was nice - my only complaint about the whole hotel was that the lighting in the bathroom isn't great and my room had a very poor hairdryer. Neither would bother me too much though.

What makes this hotel though is the fantastic staff - they really couldn't have been any more helpful or attentive. They made us feel so at home and nothing was too much trouble. In particular, Claire, Martin and Patrick in the bar were so lovely and took great care of us over the weekend. Blaithin was our main server at dinner and was extremely efficient, polite and attentive. They are all a real credit to the hotel. I also dealt with a receptionist throughout the stay whose name I can't remember, who was so friendly and every time I passed, made sure that everything was going well during our stay.

Overall, I was thrilled that we chose to stay at the Brehon and wouldn't hesitate in recommending it to friends and family.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank NiamhFox

Dear Niamh,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review and share you experience with other Tripadvisor users. All the team at The Brehon are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and were thrilled to hear your comments.
I have passed your comments in relation to your bedroom to our housekeeping manager and thank you for bringing these to our attention.
We look forward to seeing you back in The Brehon again soon.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

I spent 6 nights at The Brehon for a business trip to Killarney recently and while I had a very enjoyable stay, there were a couple of issues which prevented me from awarding it 5 stars.

The hotel is located about a kilometre outside the town of Killarney but on arrival, I struggled through the entrance with my various bags and pieces of luggage. There was no one there to assist me with the doors nor, was there an offer of assistance after I checked in. Check in itself was fine but there was not porter to be seen.

My room on the second floor was a good size which looked onto the pitch and putt course at the rear of the hotel and the beautiful rolling hills of Killarney beyond that. It was spotlessly clean with crisp white bed linen and the bed itself was extremely comfortable. There was a writing bureau and complimentary bottled water each morning. The wifi connection was excellent. The room also had an iron, ironing board, trouser press, safe and tea and coffee. Unfortunately, the storage space was useless for hanging shirts or suits. Even though it had two rails, neither was sufficiently high enough for the clothes to hang freely.

The bathroom was oversized with a bath/shower combo. It again was spotless but beside the sink were two small shelves and my toilet bag alone took up one of these. If there was more than one person staying in the room, space would certainly be a problem.

Breakfast however was fantastic. The staff in the breakfast room were polite and attentive and everytime I went to take an item from the hot buffet, it was plentiful, fresh and tasty. I've never seen a buffet like it! There was also a good selection of juices, cold meats, fruit, cereal and pastries. Make sure your package includes breakfast. If fact the food in general in the hotel is excellent.

On the one occasion I went to use the pool, I was advised by the lady in the spa that I would need to book it as it was quite small but could use the pool across in the Gleneagle hotel at any time. Needless to say I was a bit miffed and would have liked to relax in a pool at a time that suited me rather than have to book a time and then hope I can make it. So I never got to use the spa facilities and just had a bath in my room instead.

The one other thing that I must mention is that one night in the bar, when I went to order another drink, without any warning, the barman informed me the bar was closed (about 11pm and with several patrons drinking) but he did say he could serve me a drink in the lobby. I don't particularly enjoy drinking in the lobby of a hotel, regardless of how nice it is, so off to bed I went.

All in all, the hotel is very impressive, very well maintained, in a beautiful part of Ireland and I did enjoy my stay despite the couple of issues mentioned. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear Rjoc,
Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at The Brehon. Thank you in particular for your wonderful feedback on our breakfast and our staff, the team were delighted to hear your comments. I am sorry to hear you were not met by one of our Front of House Porters when you arrived and offered luggage assistance when you checked in which is our policy here at the hotel. The room you were allocated can be adapted to accommodate our wheelchair guests and incorporates rails which are lower for our guests to use. I have noted you comments regarding the storage in these bathrooms and our Housekeeping Manager is looking into alternative shelving to make our guests stay more enjoyable.
We do hope to see you back in The Brehon again soon.
The Brehon

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Stayed over the weekend and the hotel was busy a great buzz around. The hotel is spotlessly clean, attentive staff, spa facilities are fantastic. Food in all areas bar, breakfast and evening meal were great. Rooms spacious and clean. staff in bar in particular stand out for great service Claire and Patrick. Would be happy to stay in hotel all weekend and not leave!! Would recommend and definitely return thank you!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
TheBrehonTeam, Manager at The Brehon, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your lovely review. It is great to hear your enjoyed your stay with us at The Brehon. I passed your comments to Claire and Patrick who were delighted, thank you.

We look forward to seeing you back in The Brehon again soon.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Could not fault this hotel on any count at all. We had an amazing weekend for the christening and they were a dream to work with in the weeks coming up to it - organizing the food, decorations, dj and the rooms for each family member.
On the day everything went off without hitch and the management were so on the ball, attentive and responsive to every requirement we asked of them.
Can not recommend this place more. Didn't get a chance to use the spa so i will definitely be returning for that but others on the trip made use of it and loved it.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear David,

Congratulations again on baby Amelia's Christening. It was a pleasure for Heather to look after you. Thank you so much for your lovely review all the team here are delighted with your comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

My friends and I stayed at Brehon for my hen party and we were all so impressed with how well we were looked after. The hotel itself is very nice but the staff are what made the visit most memorable, in particular Patrick Kelly, Blathin, Claire and Martin and Mary deserve a special mention.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Karen,

All the team at The Brehon are delighted to hear your enjoyed your celebrations. Thank you in particular for your lovely feedback on Patrick, Blathin, Claire, Martin and Mary. We do hope to see you back in The Brehon again soon and we look forward to welcoming you.