“A little taste of heaven! ”
Review of The Brehon

The Brehon
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

I can't say enough good things about the Brehon! From the moment you arrive, you are treated so well. The room was amazing. The weather was so bad outside, it was just lovely to sit inside with my book and hot port! Not to mention to pool and spa! Wow!! As well as delicious food!! You just can't go wrong with booking into the Brehon! I'm really looking forward to my return visit!!

Stayed: January 2014
TheBrehonTeam, Manager at The Brehon, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear Maggie,
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are all delighted that you had such a good stay with us and to be described as 'A little taste of Heaven' really is great to hear.
We do hope you will be back to visit us soon and we look forward to seeing you.
Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,386)

Reviewed January 28, 2014

This place is shocking really, in that they've put a good deal into making it beautiful and very well appointed but the service is terrible! The front desk staff is good, as is the housekeeping staff. However, the majority of the restaurant and pub staff don't know what service is, much less, good service. Went with my daughter and 5 cousins from Kildare and we all felt the same way.

I'm trying to find a way to put this in a way that doesn't make me feel like I'm bashing an entire group of people and the only way I can find to say it, is that the hotel management should either completely review/retrain their foreign staff, or get rid of them and fill in the blanks with locals.

The restaurant waiter was relentless in trying to get us to buy more drinks/wine (we're not what anyone would call tea-tottlers, by the way) to the point of outright irritation. He then doubled up on the charges for the drink orders and with such a large dinner bill, had we not scrutinized it, we may not have caught the $150+ in overcharges.

The bartender in the pub one night, told us when we ordered a round at 10:00 that he was going to be closing up because it wasn't busy enough for him to stay and we should take our drinks to the lobby. We were guests at this hotel - 4 rooms - for three nights! Needless to say, he didn't make that work...

The icing on the cake was on morning two. I went into the breakfast room (restaurant) just as they were getting ready to close, to sit with my cousins who were finishing up their meal. The waitress told me I couldn't come in as they were going to close for the morning. I explained that I was only going to sit with my family and wasn't ordering. She told me I couldn't come in regardless. Unbelievable.

They could make this place fabulous if they staffed it properly.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank MaineFreqntTraveler
TheBrehonTeam, General Manager at The Brehon, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear MaineFreqntTraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Brehon on Tripadvisor and I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your stay with us.
We really do have a great team of staff here in the Brehon and we are very proud of the mix of nationalities that we have working for us. It is a credit to the team that year after year they are consistently recognised on various levels for the great Irish welcome which they provide to our guests. Most recently our excellent and diverse team of staff attained the Irish Hotel & Catering Gold Medal Award for Best Customer Experience as well as numerous other awards recognising the consistently excellent standards of service and customer care which the team provides to our guests.
We take all of our guest’s feedback very seriously and always use it in a constructive way to ensure that we consistently deliver the standard of service that our customers expect and that we can be proud of. I am sorry that this was not the case on this occasion and I can assure you that we will address any issues which may have caused our service standards to be compromised during your stay. I have noted that your stay with us was last April, we have reviewed all of the feedback we received around that time but did not receive any feedback of this nature. In order for us to ensure that we fully understand the issues you encountered at that time I would encourage you to make contact with me so that I have the opportunity to discuss the issues with you in person and share the details with our team. Please feel free to contact me on brianb@thebrehon.com or on 064 – 6630700.
Thank you once again for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Brian.

Brian Bowler

Reviewed January 26, 2014

i found this hotel was perfect for a stag iwas on recently. the rooms were nice and clean and very homely. the staff were very accomodating and all their recommendations for the night were spot on. the stay was quite cheap compared with other hotels we looked in to and i felt the need to write and express the valu for money. a perfect spot to stay out of the town but close enough to access everything.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Henry J

Dear Henry,
Thank you for your review. It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay and felt at home here at The Brehon. Thank you too for your lovely comments on our staff.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Always holidayed in Killarney and decide next time we book into The Brehon, They had a 72hrs deal on website so went for it, thinking maybe we get a smaller room but were pleasantly surprised with size of room, also excellent views of the mountains.The reception staff are very helpful and friendly, upon getting to our room they called to see if we were happy with the room. Wish more hotels do this. Anyhow we had a wonderful time think the weather helped as lovely sunny crisp days! The spa was very good to help with tired limb after long walks. This hotel delivers an excellent service from front of house to house keepers also the bar staff very friendly.
Over all 10/10 Hope to return soon in 2014

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the mountains.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank raymondmccaw
TheBrehonTeam, Manager at The Brehon, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear CrunchieDublin,
Thank you for your lovely review. It is great to hear you had such a lovely stay with us. We strive to provide an excellent service to all our guests and are delighted to hear of your experience. We do hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Oh my god I was in heaven last week. What an amazing experience! I could go on and on and on... The receptionist, the rooms, the spa, the food, every single bit of The Brehon is absolutely fantastic! Great value for a girlie night away and pure relaxation. Loved every second of being there and would return in a heart beat! Well done The Brehon!! I'm already wondering when I can return!!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank galwaygirl27

Dear Galwaygirl,
Thank you for your recent review. 'Heaven has landed' what a wonderful description. Thank you for your lovely comments and we look forward to seeing you back in The Brehon again soon.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

I would definitely recommend the Brehon hotel if you are looking for top quality, care and service, it is a beautiful hotel, very welcoming staff, large guest rooms, food is excellent in the bar and restaurant, it is close to the city centre if you like to go shopping, they always have great special offers on-line, Over the years I have stayed in different hotels in Killarney this was by far the best, so what I would say to anyone who is planning a visit to the Brehon hotel come on down the price is right, value for money.

Room Tip: I had a room with a balcony, I could see the beautiful Kerry mountains
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Helena O

Dear Helena,
It is great to hear you had a such are relaxing break here with us at The Brehon and thank you for sharing your experience with others. We are especially delighted with your comment that we are the best in Killarney, and I have passed your comments to all our staff. We look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

i have stayed here before and have had spa treatments done , i love this special treatment so much my daughter got us both a night away for a christmas present , we had a great time together and it was lovely mother and daughter time x can't wait to go back again

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank thorndale7
TheBrehonTeam, Manager at The Brehon, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear Thorndale7,
I am delighted to read your review and to hear that you and your daughter had such a nice stay with us. Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to seeing both of you back again soon.