“Was disappointing”

The Brehon
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed here back in January on a 3night package. We arrived after a very long drive from Dublin and we were checked in by a receptionist who seemed a bit preoccupied. We went up to our room to find it had 2 single beds. I should point out at this point that we are gay and there was obviously a mix up in the fact we we're 2guys. We went back down to reception and she was very apologetic and tried to find us another corner room but there was none left so we had to make do with a smaller room.
We went up to our floor and it was being completely re-painted there was workmen in the corridors and it felt very strange to be walking threw a work site. Our room was lovely but it was smaller then the corner one. I think we we're the only people on that floor as we never met anyone but workmen. We we're woken up one morning by someone drilling at the wall on our corridor which when staying in a 4star hotel is not what you would expect.

We had dinner in the restaurant and I asked for a table near the window when i called reception to book, we went down and it was very busy. The lady sat us at the table right inside the main doors which looks out onto the reception, We felt very uncomfortable as it was clear we we're not only some of the youngest people in the hotel but also the only gay couple and the older american's took it upon themselves to stare. Now we we'rent being in anyway obvious and maybe it was just me being paranoid but it certainly was not the enjoyable anniversary dinner i had in my mind when i booked the hotel. The food took a long time to arrive but was lovely.
The spa is great but we we're asked by the receptionist to change in our room and get the lift down in the robes provided, when i explained our floor was full of men painting and i didnt really want to walk by them all in a robe she laughed and told us to change in the changing room, not really sure why anyone would choose the other option even without the workmen, but in saying that we did see other guest going to their rooms in robes.

Now don't get me wrong this place is lovely one of nicest hotels in Killarney but we felt just a little like we we're too much trouble for the staff, everyone seemed to be preoccupied and busy. We enjoyed Killarney very much and plan on returning but i think for the money you pay for the brehon you could find somewhere just as nice with much better service.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
GCurran, General Manager at The Brehon, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Leogoable,
We appreciate all feedback here at The Brehon. However I feel the need to address a few of the points that you raised in your review as I think they may be somewhat misleading to Trip Advisor users and imply that The Brehon are prejudice.
I am sorry you felt uncomfortable while dining in our Danú restaurant but perhaps from reading your review one may notice your discomfort may have been as a result of how you were feeling and not anything the hotel had any control over. It is not unusual for two people of the same sex to have dinner in our restaurant and I am at a loss as to why you felt that others were staring at you. You say the food was lovely but yet your dinner was ‘not the enjoyable anniversary dinner’, - this does not seem to be of any fault of the hotel and I am disappointed we are being punished for how a customer feels themselves on the night which despite our best efforts is way out of our control!
In relation to changing into your robe prior to going to the Spa, this is a practice used in every hotel all over the world and again I am at a loss as to why it would be inappropriate for our staff to suggest. Normally our guests feel very comfortable going from their room to the Spa in the wonderfully fluffy robes and slippers we provide. Again I am not clear as to why you are raising this as an issue when the only negative is how you were feeling.
You say The Brehon is ‘one of the nicest hotels in Killarney’ and for these comments I thank you, but over all I feel your review implies The Brehon, our staff and guests are somewhat prejudicial towards same sex couples . This is a serious allegation and one which I feel strongly enough to raise so that I can assure all others that this could not be further from the truth.
The Brehon is an equal opportunities employer and we do not prejudice anyone be it in our staff or our customers.
I do hope the above clarifies to all Trip Advisor users that this review is unjust, hurtful and more importantly, not the experience of our many guests who have passed through our door since we opened in 2004.

Yours sincerely,
Gary Curran

Reviewed May 7, 2013

On a recent stay I found the Attention to detail & service excellent in this hotel. From a birthday card left in my room for me to the service in the restaurant. The room even though it was a little on the small side was lovely and had a big balcony. beds and pillows very comfy also. The bathroom was almost as big as the room itself and had a separate shower and bath and also underfloor heating. Dinner in the danu restaurant very exceptional as was the breakfast.I also used the vitality suite and enjoyed it. Overall I was very impressed with The Brehon and will return again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Elizag
Reviewed May 7, 2013

A lovely setting, a wonderful spa area, super for dinner and drinks or bar food with the kids. I would highly recommended it for a couples weekend getaway, for a chill out spa day alone, as a couple or with a few girlfriends. The Mezzanine area is just fab for chilling out.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nead74
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in the Brehon for my birthday and wedding anniversary, 2nd - 4th May. Drove down from Belfast. The staff were so nice, friendly and helpful. We were upgraded to an executive suite and they left me a birthday card and anniversary card with sweets. Such a lovely touch. We had dinner in the restaurant and the bar and the food was top class, the waitresses were lovely and very attentive. A morning in the spa was special and luxurious. Overall a very pleasant and special experience. I would love to bring my children the next time. Killarney is a lovely town with friendly people. Thanks for a lovely stay!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JUW_10
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Just back from a 3 night break at the Brehon. The Hotel is impressive in terms of stature and the lobby is great with twin fires burning all day in the lobby. The breakfasts are fantastic and the evening meal was very good too. The waiting staff were the best I have come across in a long time and were so helpful and accommodating. In terms of value we had an enjoyable stay at a great price so I would definitely recommend it to others.

On the down side, there are a few aesthetics that could be improved, the first being the main door into the lobby and the side doors, both look like they haven't been varnished in years and it's such a cheap fix to remove a very important initial impression. Secondly the pool area while very impressive needs a simple coat of paint in places. Again this simple attention to detail would really change the perception here where cleanliness is of utmost importance. Finally and I am nit picking here, the public toilets off the lobby have cracked tiles and missing floor lights. The final point to note is the beds, I was unable to get a good nights sleep during my stay which was disappointing. I even tried sleeping on the floor the first night but to no avail. as mentioned by previous guests they are far to hard and I haven't experienced this ever before, shame really because I do like the Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TC1186605
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the hotel in April and had a wonderful experience. The rooms were spotlessly clean and extremely comfortable. The girl on reception gave us a very warm welcome. The food in the restaurant was fantastic. The vitality suite is definetely worth a trip to, very relaxing. I attended a conference during my stay and again everything was great. Well done to all the staff.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank michelle k
Reviewed April 27, 2013

what a great hotel stayed for one night wish it could have been more.Husbands birthday when we arrived gave us an upgraded room which was a lovely suprise. staff very helpful and friendly.Rooms clean and bright.Great breakfast and it was lovely just to sit out in the lobby and relax after Going back in december for a wedding cant wait.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank veronicamallow
GCurran, General Manager at The Brehon, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Veronica,
Thank you for your wonderful review and for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted your Husband enjoyed his birthday celebrations. We do hope to see you back again soon.
Yours sincerely,