“Nice place nice people made for a great time”
Review of The Brehon

The Brehon
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 13, 2013

The reception was a bit crowded when we arrived, a tour checking in but we were checked in very fast and shown to our rooms. Stayed in this hotel for 3 nights . The rooms were really nice and the beds were really comfortable.. really soft pure white towels. The food was lovely and it was nice to see such friendly staff very engaging with the guests this town has not lost its charm.

We were surprised at how busy the town was, lots of groups around and great atmosphere. We had lovely meals and all well priced. This break was badly needed and The brehon did not leave us down.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Poggzy
Write a ReviewReviews (2,386)

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I recently stayed at the Brehon Hotel in Killarney to celebrate a couple of my friends turning 30. I have stayed here twice before, for a wedding and a break away with my husband. Both times it was lovely. Fabulous lobby area, really cosy & bedrooms are very nice too. I don't normally write reviews but the thing I most wanted to report about this time around was the fabulous staff. They were all without exception some of the friendliest, most helpful and down to earth hotel staff I have ever come across from the receptionists, porters, and bar staff to the lovely ladies in the Angsana Spa.

I wanted to say a special thank you to the wonderful Jenna in the Spa who gave me the most amazing full body massage I have ever had. I have had many Spa experiences and many massages but this was undoubtedly the winner. She was such a lovely girl and when I thanked her for the amazing job she had done I couldn't get over how modest and humble she was. If I ever get to go back here again I will do my best to get another appointment with Jenna and would advise anyone else to do the same. Thank you again Jenna :-)

2  Thank karen h
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with a group of 11 friends/ basketball team mates for a two night break. The Reception staff and portering staff on our arrival were most helpful. The room which three of us shared was outstanding. Comfy bed with wonderfully soft pillows for a perfect nights sleep. Dinner was superb as was breakfast, the best I've had in an Irish hotel or indeed any International hotel. Special orders were no trouble to the staff. The bar staff were courteous and helpful, taking trays of drinks to our table without having to be asked. The Spa staff and the facilities were second to none with massages being the order of the weekend after a cycle yo Gap of Dunloe and a basketball match. The space and comfortable seating available for guests to sit around and relax, read a book, sip a drink without being disturbed, enhances the whole experience of a stay at the Brehon. I loved it and will definitely be back I will highly recommend it to all my other friends as this was a real treat

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank 5Star_10
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed in the Gleneagles apartment Sat nigh and had breakfast in the Brehon yesterday morning..(Sun). The food was excellent. The service was brilliant. As busy as the staff were a member of staff still found time to check and see if we needed fresh tea or coffee. Only small negative didnt eat the pancakes as they looked quite greasy and just fried on one side. But that's minor compared to the divine food and large selection that was available. Would love to stay here, Reception staff lovely and bar food i.e. dinner in the bar saturday night was lovely.

1  Thank Nuala F
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed at The Brehon for a short mid-week break and was very impressed with the staff and service from the second we arrived.
Lovely Hotel, fantastic large, spacious rooms, a superb spa with everything from sauna's steam rooms to tropical showers and ice baths.
Very close to everything you'd want to do in Killarney,
The only disappointment we had would have to be the range and standard of food in the bar, not a great choice and poorly made, this however didn't spoil our stay as the staff and facilities more than made up for the food.
A special mention to John-Joe in the bar, perhaps the reason we didn't complain at the time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank redsandwiches
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The Brehon fell very short in my experience Fri 1st to 3rd. .Welcome reception ok. Cold dinner plates,tasteless starter .Enjoyable bridge and a bad nights sleep because of a rubberised undersheet,(thought I was in a 4star hotel not a geriatric ward of the 60s).Then we bridge players had to have breakfast away in corner of dining room upstairs downstairs.Sat dinner Lamb may have been a lamb many moons ago upon returning grizzly tough lamb I asked for turkey breast It arrived wet and absolutely without taste and accompanied by the gravy from lamb, uck,uck. Complimentary drinks were offered and reduction of cost 10euro per person off bill!!!!.Not what I expected from a 4star hotel. Wont be there again .
Joan Duggan

Room Tip: Avoid room 233 in brehon.
2  Thank Joan D
GCurran, Manager at The Brehon, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Joan,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very disappointed to hear your feedback following what we believed to be a very successful Bridge Congress.
I am sorry to hear your feedback on our food, I have received a detailed report from our Duty Manager whom you spoke to on Saturday evening. I will be looking in the points raised and assure you we will be taking action to ensure these shortfalls do not reoccur.
In relation to breakfast which was served in our Private Dining Room, this area is exclusively reserved each year for congress attendees to ensure private dining- a facility most attendees favour. I recognise this was not to your satisfaction and we would have be happy to offer a table in our main dining room should we have be made aware.
Finally I wish to clarify that our Duty Manager allowed off the full €20 for your meal not €10 per person as he was not made aware that the person sharing your room with you had any issues with her meal on the night in question.
Again I wish to apologise for any shortcomings in our service and thank you for your feedback.
Yours sincerely,
Gary Curran

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed at the Brehon for a weekend. Lovely hotel with very friendly staff. Rooms are very spacious we stayed in a superior deluxe. Breakfast is one of the best experienced in Ireland and is served until 10.30am. Parking at rear does require a walk around to front of hotel would suggest a rear door be used. Overall outstanding hotel and definitely would plan to return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carol K
GCurran, Manager at The Brehon, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Carol,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review. We are delighted your enjoyed your stay with us. It is wonderful for our staff and the hotel to be described as 'outstanding' and really makes all the hard work worthwhile.
Just a note for next time- we do have a door at the side of the hotel facing the INEC which accesses The Brehon Bar and main hotel lobby.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Brehon in the near future.
Yours sincerely