“Beautiful hotel- great rooms and fabulous food”
Review of The Brehon

The Brehon
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This hotel is lovely- one we'd always admired from afar but can normally be a bit expensive. Got a good deal on trivago though so we treated ourselves just after Christmas. First impressions were great- we arrived early- about 1pm- and our room wasn't yet ready but they took our bags and had them sent to our room. We were happy to head into Killarney for a wander round the shops. Arriving back a few hours later I couldn't believe the size of the room- one of the biggest I'd ever stayed in. We were on the 3rd floor at the back of the hotel looking out over the carpark- but had beautiful views of the mountains in the distance. The bed was facing the large windows too so lovely view to wake up to. The bathroom is also huge with a big corner bath and separate power shower which was very refreshing. The only 2 minor downsides to the room were that only 1 set of robe and slippers were provided- you could ring for a 2nd though. And you also had to ring for them to switch on the fridge. I suppose both are a money saving exercise so understandable.
There was a wedding taking place on one night during our stay but you'd never have known it as a non-wedding guest. I had visions of being woken up in the early hours with people coming back to their rooms but there wasn't a sound- really great nights sleep.
You have free use of the vitality suite when you stay and we made use of this on both days. We have stayed in Muckross Park a couple of times and I think their vitality suite spoiled me as I wasn't that impressed with the one here. Firstly the temp of the pool was the same if not colder than a normal swimming pool, with a 'hot' spa pool that was only a few degrees warmer- a jacuzzi in a regular gym is hotter. The steam room and sauna were lovely, but the other facilities were out of order during our visit. But saying that it is a lovely facility to have and we appreciated it after a long walk in the national park.
The food here is great. Breakfast is buffet and we went down both mornings at 9.30 and had no problem getting a table straight away- but by closer to 10 there was a queue forming. Normally I'm not a big fan of buffet anything but the food for breakfast was lovely with a great choice. We also ate here one night for dinner- they do a 3 course set menu for €40, which is well worth it as the food is mouth watering. Really delicious and plenty of choice even on the set menu.
We didn't use the bar much- but always seemed to be very busy. My partner did want to watch a soccer match one afternoon while I went to the spa but they only have 1 very small tv and the bar was so busy he couldn't get a seat near enough to see it. But again- only a very minor complaint.
Overall we had a great time. Every staff member we met was very friendly and made our time in the Brehon very enjoyable. We will definitely stay again.
One tip if you're eating out- try Casita Mexicana- it's in the centre of town at the back of Quills carpark. Nicest mexican food I've ever tasted and brilliant value.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,328)

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have stayed at the Brehon hotel in Killarney, Co Kerry four times now, most recently last weekend and I just have to say this is my very favourite hotel by far. I love the decor of the hotel from the foyer to the bedrooms, it is great value for money and the food served there is delicious. I must add that what I like most however is the friendly, warm and professional staff. I look forward to visiting again -soon hopefully!!! I strongly and sincerely recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank BridgetForde
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed here for New Year's Eve 2012. Room was lovely very clean and spacious. Food in the bar and restaurant was very nice waiting staff very helpful and friendly .location is a good bit outside the town centre but is well located for muckross etc. spa was quite small and rather expensive.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Mars1983
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We spent two nights here for a wedding in December. The hotel exceeded expectations. Check-in was probably the quickest ever - no fuss, no swiping credit card - just a signature and a number. We got an extremely spacious room on the third floor with windows to two sides. The room was very well laid out : lots of space, comfortable chairs, a separate area with closet, teamaker, clothes press, safe etc which did not intrude on the room. The bathroom too was very spacious and spotless. Even though the hotel appeared to be very busy there was no noise at night. What really impressed was the quality of the food at the wedding dinner. Even though there were 150 people being served simultaneously my fillet steak came exactly as ordered - medium rare and succulent.
Staff had been well trained and were obviously working to an efficient system.
Breakfast was in a bright pleasant restaurant and had lots of choice -buffet style.
All staff we encountered were pleasant and greeted us as we passed. The lobby/reception area was warm and inviting with seating and a fire.
All in all, a very pleasant stay and we would recommend it to our friends.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mcharan
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I selected this hotel -specialylinked to the number of 5 stars recomandations-, for my birthday.- a precision that I gave to the reception of course - 1/ According to this, the room had a beautiful view... on the parking lot!! It lasted 15 mn to get a very poor and dark room. After a reclamation, they changed it, for a better one, OK, but I was very angry. 2/ in this hotel, the fridge is only for decoration, because it is empty with a card inside "please call the 0..." 3/ in this hotel you have only one bathrobe for two. 4/ in this hotel, the chief makes a confusion between vegetarian burger and mineral burger, because the burger is so hard, so tough, that you simply cannot cut it And so and so... Complete deception

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Delombre
GCurran, Manager at The Brehon, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Dear Past Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us at The Brehon. I am disappointed to hear your comments. I have investigated the points your raised in your review and am satisfied with how our receptionist dealt with your check in. When you were unsatisfied with your room we upgraded your to one of our Superior Deluxe rooms and as it was your birthday we sent some Wine and Butler Chocolates to your room. We are happy to stock our minibar fridges on request and the card as you pointed out is there to inform our guests of same.
I regret you felt your stay was a disappointment as our staff and management you spoke to during you stay did their utmost to ensure your needs were met. Thank you again for your feedback.
Yours sincerely,
Gary Curran

Reviewed December 18, 2012

spa break with daughter and sister.the spa is fab .loved every minute of it,we had a lovely room on the fourth floor.great food in bar .the breakfast was fab .my compliments too christine in the spa.will be back in jan with hubby.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cathcork
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Third time staying here. 3 nights. This time with a small baby. They just understand the needs of a family. Very courteous staff and personable. Lovely room and great food. Will be staying again. They just offer more than an average hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012