“Very disappointing!”

Victoria House Hotel
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I booked this hotel for a weekend as part of a surpass trip for my husbands birthday as we were also going to an event in the INEC. We travel a lot for our business and spend a lot of nights in hotels so when we're on a leisure trip we like to stay in smaller more intimate hotels so having read the reviews, which I always do before booking anywhere, I felt it was just the type of place that we like. First impression was good. Parking right outside the door, reception area was nice and receptionist was friendly and welcoming. Then we went to our room!!! Room 301. I don't think I have ever seen a smaller hotel room in my life. My husband is 6'3" and the 'double bed' was tiny. I went straight back to reception and asked for a different room but was told none were available. I was discussing moving to another hotel, but we were tired, it was almost six o'clock and our concert was at 8pm, it was the start of the Summerfest, a busy weekend in Killarney and the receptioist told me most hotels were full so reluctantly, we stayed. We were given a discount on the price of €228 which we had paid for 2 nights excluding breakfast and a complimentary breakfast, but I didn't want that, I wanted a comfortable room. The room was so small that we had to sit on the bed to drink the bottle of champagne that brought with us as the small table in the room only had one chair and if you pulled it out to sit at it, there was no room to walk between it and the foot of the bed. When I worked in the hotel industry many years ago, that room would be a single. The 'wardrobe' had no doors, which isnt uncommon in hotels, when its tucked away in a corner but this was at the bottom of the bed so you are looking straight at it at all times as even if you're not actually in bed as there is nowhere else to sit and relax in this room. There was no bath, only a shower, which I would expect in a budget price hotel, which this is not. The fan in the shower room didn't work and the drain in the shower was blocked. The drain was cleared when we pointed it out but we had no bathroom fan all weekend. The discomfort got to me over the weekend and I was very dissapointed that my husnand's surprise weekend was not what I had planned and so on leaving, I told the receptionist that I was very disappointed with our stay. She said she would ask the owner to call me as he wasn't in at that time. We went to another hotel for lunch that day, where we met a couple who had been shown into a room in The Victoria the same day that we had arrived only they wisely left. The manager did call me a few days later and told me that no one else ever complains and that 301 is a standard double room, which he would be very happy to stay in and if I'd come back at some stage, he'd give me a free upgrade to a superior room. In other words, spend more money with him and he'll then put me in the type of room I should have had in the first place. His care for his guests comfort was non existent. If I treated my clients in that manner, I would be out of business long ago. Shame on you Victoria House Hotel. We are all working hard to help our economy recover. Play your part. Attitudes like yours give our tourism a bad name.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank AnnLCork

Reviewed August 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on the Saturday night of the August Bank holiday weekend to attend a wedding at the Gleneagle Hotel, which is next door as the Gleneagle would offer us nothing other than a 3 night minimum stay!!!!! I'm glad of this now as otherwise we would not have discovered this hidden gem. I'm familiar with Killarney but never heard of this hotel and my were we pleasantly surprised. It's small quaint and homely with very friendly and helpful staff. It is very clean with a lovely bar and dining room. We stayed in a de-luxe room which was huge with a monster bed, sitting area/room and large bathroom with Jacuzzi. There was a great choice for breakfast in a cosy dining room in the morning. I could not fault this hotel @ €72pp for our room b&b at peak weekend. It's perfect for functions at nearby hotels/INEC etc only a 90 second stroll away.

Room Tip: Go for the delux room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SeanLimerick_Ireland
Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for business and had forgotten my bank card so when I thought I might run out of money they offered to help. Thankfully I had enough but their 'we wouldn't see you stuck' attitude was exactly the type of warm service here. It is a ten-fifteen minute walk into town- closer if you hop on to one of the horse buggies! And close to thenational park. Has wifi. If I had one gripe it would be that the rooms can get very warm. I would recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We were moved to Victoria House when our original hotel was overbooked and from what we read it was a great improvement. Breakfast was good, internet was available in the lobby, shower (and Jacuzzi) better than most, and we had two windows for a nice cross breeze. Right on the ring of Kerry and convenient for Muckross house, but too far to walk for city centre.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 24, 2012

My siblings and I booked this Hotel as a surprise for our parents. We booked through a deal voucher. Just two evenings before they were due to go, the Hotel rang to say that they could not take them and that they could stay in The Riverside instead. They had stayed at the Riverside before so were really looking forward to the Victoria House Hotel. Our parents were very dissapointed, and we felt that this Hotel had left it very late to tell them. Perhaps if it wasnt booked as a deal package this would not have happened.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We stayed here while attending a weekend function next door in the gleneagle hotel (literally 2 mins walk away).
The staff were so good to us, letting us sleep late before checkout, late breakfast etc.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

Can't recommend the bar food enough here, service was fast but enough of a gap to enjoy meal. Staff friendly but not in your face. Didn't Stay so ignore room rating

• Stayed: July 2011