“Really enjoyed the visit”

Victoria House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Derry, United Kingdom
“Really enjoyed the visit”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We arrived at the hotel and loved it immediately. It had such a welcoming appearance and we were not disappointed.
The room exceeded our expectations in comfort, facilities, and especially size.
Staff are more than helpful, chatty and engaging.
Food at the hotel was excellent. We availed of the bar menu as it seemed to suit the teenagers better although the Restaurant Menu looked very tempting.
Breakfast was excellent and my children loved the fresh pancakes and maple syrup! The service was very good and as mentioned before staff were very pleasant.
The Hotel is about a mile from The National Park. Bicycle Hire is available beside hotel. We had a great day cycling around the Park.The hotel is about 30mins outside Killarney with lots of other accommodation and hotels in between but I would pass on these every time to stay in the Victoria House - for comfort, quality, service and value for money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Westwood1_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Georgetown, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2011

On a recent tour through Ireland we stopped in Killarney to tour the Ring of Kerry. The Victoria House looked lovley on-line so we booked in for one night. The rooms we very nice and staff friendly. We discoved the Wi-Fi only worked in the dining room and bar so inconvenient for my wife who had to do a bit of work and upon checkout I asked about the reduction in room rate due to the drop in the VAT rate I was told they had already adjusted for that. When I said that I had booked two months ago, how could that be possible, I was told "it just is"! A bold faced lie! I am sure the girl at the front desk was just doing what she was told, but a blatant cash grab of the VAT reduction left a bit of a sour taste.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Laois
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Myself and my wife stayed in this hotel for three nights and we really enjoyed our stay. We found the staff very friendly and helpful. The room was very spacious, clean and comfortable. The food in the bar was of a high standard in my opinion, We were happy with the location and would love to return again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Drogheda, Ireland
Reviewed June 27, 2011

A little out of town, but great access to Killarney National Park. Staff were extremely helpful and even gave us a free upgrade. The room was spacious and very well equipped which left us refreshed and relaxed at the end of our stay. The food and drink was excellent as was the live music in the bar.

• Stayed June 2011
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed June 17, 2011

My boyfriend & I stayed here for one night while attending a show in the INEC. Never again do I want to return to this "hotel". Upon arrival we noticed there was a communion party going on in the bar/restaurant. The size of this is small enough but the party completely took over and there was little room for residents of the hotel. We could hear loud music coming from the windows upstairs, and all this was noticed before we ever stepped inside. We had to squeeze our way in as members of the party were blocking the door and didn't try to move for us. We went to check in and the receptionist who was very abrupt checked us in. My purse and my boyfriend's wallet were at the end of a bag, and the receptionist requested the remaining fee for the room. As it was we were being squashed against the reception counter due to the members of the party spilling out of the bar and down the stairs. I asked if we could get the money from our bags once we were in our room and had space to open our bags but she wouldn't even consider giving us the room key without the rest of the money. We were going to bring it straight to reception from our room but she started getting agitated so we just struggled and managed to find my boyfriends wallet. She then directed us to our room. It was down a narrow little corridor just behind reception. Walking down it there was children running up and down and we had to try avoiding them. Opening the door to our room was hugely disappointing. The decor was so dated and the view was awful. The cupboard had no door, the walls were dirty and could do with a lick of paint. The bed sheets were horrible and absolutely not suitable for a hotel in these times. The hotel hasn't moved with the times and I imagine that it hasn't been updated since it was built! Furniture was very old and uncomfortable. I looked out the window, and our view was shocking! Right in front of us was a large window to someone's camper van and therefore we had to keep our curtain closed the whole time! The bathroom was absolutely appauling! Small, dirty and cramped. We decided to go for a bite to eat and as the hotel isn't very near the town we didn't have much choice but eat in the restaurant provided. Because of the communion party, we were unable to find a seat and had to stand for about 20 minutes before eventually being able to sit on high stools at the bar! Not very comfortable or practical for a meal. Meanwhile there was 3 tables with "reserved" signs on them, we asked the barman who was very very rude could we use them and he said no and walked away, but the whole time we were there nobody came and sat at them! We ordered our food and were left waiting ages. I can honestly say I've never come across a ruder barman, his attitude was brutal and he seemed like he'd rather be anywhere but there. Check-out is 12 but our transport wasn't until late in the evening so we asked the receptionist (same girl as before) could we check out at 1 instead, (which every hotel I've ever stayed in allowed), and she abruptly said "No, check out is at 12" and she turned away speaking to someone else! I was absolutely disgusted by this hotel & it's service and I will never ever return here again. As for holding communion parties or any other functions, there should be somewhere seperate allocated to them as the restaurant is so small as it is there's no room for paying guests to sit!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank CorkHotelUser
ireland
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I have been going to this hotel for many years now and it has been better evry year.

Victoria House Hotel is lcated on the outskirts of Killarney. It is the perfect location as its away from the noise of the town and yet it is only a 10 minute walk from the centre. It is also beside a bike rental shop and right opisite walking and cycling paths.

The hotel itself is excellent.Its rooms are great with tea and coffee making facilities and a brilliant shower!!

The hotels food is of the best. It comes in large portions but is very very tasty!

The staff are very friendly and welcoming!! There is a great feel to the hotel and I will continue to go there!

If any the only fault is that there is no swimming pool but otherwise it is perfect

Room Tip: all rooms are great