“Best Hotel we have ever stayed at!!!!”
Review of Dromhall Hotel

Dromhall Hotel
Ranked #22 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed September 30, 2009

My family and I spent three wonderful nights at the hotel as part of the Kerry Fling tour provided by Royal Irish Tours. We had the most wonderful experience there. Their accomodations are excellent and there are not enough words to express how wonderful the staff is. Each and every one of the staff worked very hard to make sure we had everything we needed. We hope that someday we can return to the Dromhall Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009

Reviewed August 18, 2009

I stayed 2 nights in Dromhall in May and wrote the draft as soon as I returned but fate intervened so hence the 2 month delay in posting.

I stayed at the hotel with my 2 daughters aged 8 and 11 for 2 nights in May. Given some of the reviews I had read I did not know what to expect. However being Irish I am well aware of Killarney's rip off reputation and the Dromhall met with all my requirements so what the heck? I decided to give it a go and did not regret my choice.

Check-in was easy, we were made to feel very welcome and were offered help with our bags etc. Even better no one made any comment about me staying alone in a hotel with young children. (Living in a different country from my elderly parents I often travel with alone with children and have been subjected to some very impertinant questions in hotels.)

Our room was comfortable, clean and spacious and obviously newly decorated. Some reviewers have complained about the lack of style; that the furninshings are dated. Well decor is very subjective. For me it was exactly what I expected (and like) but would probably not be to the taste of those preferring a more modern minimalist style. The only thing wrong with the room was that the electric towel heater had been disconnected from the mains but it was not an issue for me so I didn't bother to raise it . Another minor gripe was the key was extremely stiff to turn, needed both hands, the children could not manage it at all. There were no tea or coffee facilities in the room. I had a kettle with me so didn't bother to enquire further. If I had I would have found out that they are available on request. According to my parents this is becoming the norm in Irish hotels so might be some new health and safety regulations? I tried the room service which was the cheapest that I have ever come across. 2 Euros for a 6-cup pot of tea, I pay that for a single cup where I live!

It was stated in the room guide that wifi was available for 5 Euros for the duration of your stay (very cheap, some places charge this amount per hour). However, when I went to get a card the receptionist politely explained that the system was new and not wholly reliable throughout the building and gave me a cable to use, which I prefer, and for which there was no charge.As with 99% of the Dromhall staff she me feel nothing was to much trouble,only one person let the hotel down, a receptionist who appeared to be the only non-Irish front of house member. Perhaps her accent made her appear rude or maybe he English was not quite fluent enough? But when I asked if she could direct me to a pharmacist nearby she replied, abruptly:

"There's loads in town" (didn't offer a map, nor verbal directions)

Likewise she was unable to tell me if there were any restrictions on children eating in the bar or dining areas, or if there was a children's menu available, answering my query in the same curt manor. As it happens there is a children's menu; plus you can have half portions from the adult list which is what my children did, and very generous they were too (enough for me). The food was well cooked (2 of us had salmon and the other pasta) flavoursome and excellent value for money. Breakfast was not quite as good. It was served in the main dining room and was a bit erratic. There is a buffet plus a hot option. The hot option is excellent, it is cooked to order rather than being left to congeal on a hot plate and even included pancakes (thin crepes not thick chewy American ones) which won our votes. The problem is that the breakfast room is just too small. The Dromhall caters for large numbers of tour parties who tend to arrive for breakfast early en masse with the result that the small buffet rapidly becomes depleted and the staff overwhelmed by the demand. Coming later to breakfast does not help: on our second morning the kitchen completely run out of breads and pastries and were unable to replenish the buffet even though there were several people still waiting to eat.

One of the reasons I chose the Dromhall was that it has a pool. Several reviews I read on this site suggested that the pool was some way from the hotel. It is true that is not part of the Dromhall but in the sister hotel (Randalls) next door and from the reviews I was expectinng a major hike to reach it. In reality it is in an extension to Randalls, situated between the hotels and takes all of 2 minutes to reach. I can see that in bad weather this might be a problem but otherwise not. Given the close proximity of the Dromhall function room to the side entrance of the pool the hotel owners could construct some sort of covered walkway between them to protect against the elements. A future project perhaps? The pool itself is super. Unlike many hotel pools it is a full 25 metres long. A swimming pool not just a place to splash around in. There is no jacuzzi but they do have a steam room and sauna in which to relax. I found nothing to complain about the facilities and with the rest of the Dromhall much to admire.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank jarielal
Reviewed August 17, 2009

As previous reviewer mentioned breakfast could definitely do with some attention, poor choice on breakfast buffet, no fruit, cheese, poor selection of breads. More 3star than 4 star. Also felt that more attention was given to groups, all the best tables were reserved for some large groups.
Disliked the shower curtain in bathroom, surely a more hygienic glass screen is the norm now.
Rooms were good, but a lingering smell of smoke in our non smoking room.
Liked the bar, good atmosphere and very pleasant staff.
Very friendly staff on reception.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2009

I liked the Dromhall hotel itself - its charming, almost old fashioned, and the staff were friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable the pool in the adjoining randles hotel was great for a dip. It seems to cater for an older clientele but its not stuffy or austere. My big problem was the breakfast which was to put it bluntly absolutely rotten! We had 4 mornings of breakfasts which seemed to get consistently worse with each one - A small selection of moldy cereals, huge vats of tasteless, bland yoghurt & fruit concoctions. The choice of bread was stale, dry wheaten bread and white toast. The early birds lucky enough to get the only tasty things available (small croissants) absolutely filled their plates up, because they knew what was to come!! There was no fresh fruit, bizarre to say the least for any breakfast buffet. The cooked breakfast looked and tasted as if it had been sitting under a heat lamp for hours and the poached eggs which my sister ordered were raw underneath on arrival and another friends poachers had completely disintegrated the toast they were sat on - presumbably because they hadnt been drained properly. We filled up on toast most mornings because it was such a bad, truly unappetising affair altogether. If the breakfasts are so sub-standard I can only hazard a guess at what the restaurant is like at evenings times. I honestly think its a very nice hotel and we had a great time, but seriously the breakfasts were awful. Its not what you would expect from a 4 star hotel and I wrote this on the comment card and gave it to reception on check out. The breakfast are truly to die for - but in a bad way ........

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank AineWicklow
Reviewed August 6, 2009

We arrived at the Dromhall on Tuesday 21st July, 2009 to be met by a very friendly and efficient receptionist. Our rooms were very clean and comfortable. We were give complimentary tickets for a show in the Gleneagle which we thoroughly enjoyed. The buffet table included everything we needed and breakfast itself was generous and above all it was hot with as much tea, toast and brown bread as we wanted. We had scones and tea in the bar on each day and they were delicious and the staff in the bar were extremely friend, courteous and jolly and had time to talk and have a laugh. Our evening meal was delicious. The staff were again friendly and efficient. We would certainly go back to stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 28, 2009

A friendly hotel,near the town, had 50TH Jublee dinner there,
for family and friends , and they just had Everthing RUN LIKE "CLOCKWORK", FOOD FANTASTIC,STAFF there to help and with a smile..
WILL BE BACK AGAIN.kids had the pool ,WHICH SAYS IT ALL, WANT KIDS ARE HAPPY , I WAS HAPPY......

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 23, 2009

We stayed in the hotel for a family wedding and the reception was also held there.
From start to finish we had a wonderful time there. The rooms were comfortable and clean as were all the public rooms. The staff were always cheerful and most helpful to all our party. The food for the reception and the bar meals were all excellent. All in all a most enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family