“Confrontational staff.”
Review of Dromhall Hotel

Dromhall Hotel
Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed July 14, 2013

4 of us stayed at Dromhall this weekend for 2 nights at 60 euro per person per night with NO breakfast. When we booked the 2 rooms in June the website stated that the rooms had air conditioning. When we checked in we found this was not the case. We brought it to the attention of management at front desk. The lady there started arguing with me saying that the webpage did not say they had air con! On booking.com it clearly states that the rooms are air conditioned. We showed them this evidence on our i phone.. She also made other remarks that astonished us all. ie "nowhere has air con", "how did you know it would be hot in July", "it wasn't hot here in June when you booked" etc etc. Her attitude stank to high heaven and made me feel like a suspect in police custody. There is an attitude problem with some staff here...

The next day we found our car was blocked in by another car that was illegally parked at an angle that was taking up the road space. We asked who owned the car at front desk. They said "Brendan in the kitchen". We had to go to the kitchen and find this staff member ourselves! When we did we asked him to move his car and also why he parked so badly that he blocked people in? He responded by saying "do you want me to move the car or not" in a very very aggressive tone. We were stunned. He then stared at us once again in a confronational manner. He moved and we got free. One of us went to complain and the owner was there. She just looked at us blankly and did not offer any help! This hotel is very strange and it seems the attitude comes from the top. We would advise people to find alternative accommodation in Killarney. This hotel doesn't even have safes in the rooms! 4 STAR???

Room Tip: Go to the back where traffic is quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tom H

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We spent 2 glorious days recently at this hotel and we cannot say enough about the staff and the accommodations. Everyone was so committed to our perfect vacation. Upon arrival we were greeted and made to feel welcomed. When we left Martina at the front desk took her time to help us find a better route out of town that would be less confusing for us to travel to our next destination. The front desk staff took care to post our cards and letters everyday for me to our granddaughter back home in the United States and assured that she received mail from grandma and papa's travels in Ireland. This hotel goes the extra mile to make sure your vacation is filled with memories.

Room Tip: Ask for assistance from the hotel reservation clerk, they are committed to providing you with an exc...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
BernadetteRandles, General Manager at Dromhall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Lorraine

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. I'm delighted to hear that we helped make your vacation special. I will pass your kind comments on to Martina and the rest of the staff. As a family-run business, we take great pride in delivering a good service to all our guests, and it's heart-warming to read reviews such as yours.

I hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Dromhall Hotel one day in the future.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Has a new and an old part, located at the edge of Killarney and is about 5 – 10 walk to downtown.
Has nice antique furnitures.
Wifi is good and available in every room.
Poor ventilation in the room, with very few electric outlets, but at least with American style bathroom.
Food is not very good. A few of the staff are not very friendly.

Dear nen f

Thank you for your recent review. I was sorry to read that you were not entirely happy with your stay but am pleased that you enjoyed certain aspects of the hotel. We have an on-going refurbishment programme; our first and second floors have received a complete upgrade recently.

I was very disappointed to read that our food was not to your satisfaction and that you found some of our staff to be unfriendly. We regularly receive very positive comments in relation to both our food and our staff, so your experience was most unusual - for which I apologise.

Should you choose to return to The Dromhall Hotel one day in the future, please do contact me personally as I would like to ensure you have a better experience the next time.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

A friend and I stayed at the Dromhall for about 5 nights towards the end of June. We had a few things planned to do and see while in Killarney, but also had some time to fill.
The hotel staff is FANTASTIC. The front desk ladies gave us suggestions of sights to see and activities to take part in. They also have great relationships with many of the local businesses which makes setting up excursions a breeze. They are also wonderful with answering any questions, especially Noreen! Brendan, the general manager, is a great wealth of information. If you have a free day or evening always ask for activities, he usually knows about something entertaining going on in the town.
The hotel's location is one of the main things I liked about it. It is located a little less than 10 minutes walking from the center of Killarney, which makes it more affordable and quieter than some of the other hotels around. There is an entrance to Killarney National Park less than half a mile away from the hotel, and Ross Castle is about a 30 minute walk, 5-10 minute drive away down Ross Road (located just next to the KNP entrance).
We had breakfast at the hotel each morning and simply couldn't get enough. The best part of the continental breakfast was the croissants and raisin filled rolls. If you are a fan of french toast, and would like to order a hot breakfast, I highly recommend trying theirs - the fruit compote served on top is amazing!
The Dromhall also has a restaurant & bar downstairs. The food in the bar is cheaper than the restaurant, and they have some fantastic local brew selections.
I plan on returning to Killarney for another trip soon and I will definitely be staying at the Dromhall!

Room Tip: Our room was directly above the lobby and we were able to get free wireless internet in our room!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear AW487

Thank you so much for your comments about your recent visit to The Dromhall Hotel. I was delighted to learn that you really enjoyed your stay with us.

I will pass your kind words on to Noreen and Brendan and to the rest of the staff - it's always nice when they receive praise.

I was pleased also to read that you obviously enjoyed our breakfasts and your visit to our Kayne's Bar for a taste of some of our local brews!

We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again one day.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Brilliant stay at this hotel. Within walking distance to town centre, so could leave the car at the hotel and no need for taxis. It was the perfect choice for a last minute night away. Staff were very nice and friendly. Despite being late for breakfast on the Sunday, manager was more than happy to look after us and we got a fab breakfast. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear KarsC

Thank you for your recent review of The Dromhall Hotel. It's always a pleasure to read that someone has clearly enjoyed his or her stay with us. We take great pride in both our staff and our standard of food here, so I'm delighted that you were more than happy with both.

I hope you may be able to come and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Great location to shopping and National Park. Great starting point to drive the Ring of Kerry. Room and bathroom clean. Bed and pillows comfortable. Bar attached to hotel was well priced and convenient. Breakfast at the hotel was very good.

Dear TanzlyB

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. I'm pleased that you found our hotel to be conveniently located - we're very lucky to be so close to the centre of Killarney and also the National Park. I'm delighted too that you enjoyed your breakfast with us and that you were able to take advantage of the welcoming atmosphere of Kayne's Bar & Bistro.

I hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Dromhall Hotel one day.

Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

The exterior of the hotel is lovely but the interior!! Wowsers!! Very impressive. Loved the decor and cleanliness while also making us feel very relaxed. The staff were the icing on the cake for us, nothing was too much trouble andhtey took time to chat with us and make sure everything was ok. Only 5 minute walk from town centre meant we had best of both worlds. The Zen Spa offered a great deal while we stayed there and the treatments were very enjoyable. Definitely check out this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Scrowl

Thank you for taking the time to post some comments about your recent stay with us. I'm delighted that you liked our hotel and found our staff to be friendly and helpful. I will pass your kind words on to my staff, who deserve all the praise they get. I'm pleased also that you enjoyed the Zen Spa at our sister hotel, The Randles Court.

I hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Dromhall Hotel one day.