“Hard beds, unfriendly service”
Review of Dromhall Hotel

Dromhall Hotel
Ranked #21 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Sykesville, Maryland
“Hard beds, unfriendly service”
Reviewed June 17, 2011

We stayed here for two nights on the second leg of a family vacation to Kerry. This hotel, while visually very attractive was very unsatisfactory. The beds are hard and uncomfortable. Soap dispenser in the bedroom bathrooms is diffuclt to operate and doesn't seem hygenic. The staff in the dining room for breakfast were not friendly or helkpful at all - it seemed as if we were troubling them by dining there. Breakfast buffet selection was pretty poor.
Location just outside the center of town isn't conducive to a pleasant strool into town.
Expensive for two nights. Won't be back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
BernadetteRandles, Manager at Dromhall Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
Dear Sykesville,

It saddens me to read your comments and I must apologize to you. It is unfortunate that you did not raise your issues when you were here and allowed us an opportunity to investigate and rectify the matters.

Kind Regards,

Bernadette Randles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Greek first
Centreville, Virginia
Reviewed June 16, 2011

The Dromhall Hotel is an excellent choice for anyone wishing to travel to Killarney. The rooms are extremely clean and are updated. The staff is first-class. After a long day sight-seeing, it is a great place to rest and revamp for the next day’s adventures!
My wife and I chose to stay at the Dromhall Hotel for our one-year anniversary trip to Killarney. This was our first trip out of the U.S. and had heard that European hotels can be “hit-or-miss.” We were extremely pleased with our accommodation choice and look forward to returning. The building has some Irish charm to it and the hotel structure is well-kept. Our room was as described on the hotel’s website and was extremely clean and comfortable.
What stood out to my wife and I the most was the Dromhall’s staff. There was not a member of the staff who was not friendly, helpful and courteous. Each morning and evening, upon on departure and arrival, respectively, the front-desk staff asked how our day was, what we did, what we enjoyed, and had our room key waiting for us. One staff member especially stands out in our mind for delivering service that was above our highest expectations. Lucian, who works at the front desk, was extremely helpful. As an example, there was one day when it was raining (more than average). So, we had asked Lucian what he recommended as far as indoor activities. About 20 minutes later we had a whole day’s worth of activities planned for us!! He not only gave us maps and driving directions but also arranged tour reservations! He also made us reservations at the hotel’s restaurant for our one year anniversary dinner. Later that evening when we dined at the hotel’s restaurant we were pleasantly surprised with a free bottle of wine, in celebration of our one-year anniversary! To provide another example of how helpful the staff was, when we were checking out early in the morning before the restaurant was open, the front-desk attendant opened the restaurant early for us so that we could still have breakfast before we left. It was the little things like that that made us feel as if we were a valued guest – in fact, because of the personal attention we received, we often felt like we were the only guests!
The hotel also has a very nice pub and restaurant. We enjoyed our first evening sitting at the pub enjoying our Guinness. The pub has a modern feel to it and had mostly middle-aged adult guests. On certain nights the pub has live music. The adjoining restaurant is also very nice. Both the food in the pub and in the restaurant is excellent. The restaurant was nice because it was not that busy so my wife and I were able to have a quiet and relaxing dinner. Each morning the hotel offers complimentary breakfast which was a great start to each day. Besides offering fresh fruit, yogurt, pastries and various cereals, guests can also offer items off of the menu (we enjoyed the pancakes!).
My wife and I found the location to be a good choice for us. The hotel is about a 5-10 minute walk from downtown Killarney. So, it was nice because it was close enough to the downtown area but yet far enough away, at the same time. The only drawback is that the hotel is directly across from a Nissan dealership; however, the views from the front windows are still incredible.
The hotel also has a spa attached to it. My wife took advantage of their services and enjoyed her time.
We highly recommend the Dromhall Hotel to any potential visitors to Killarney. You will not be disappointed. As I’ve already alluded to, we plan on making this our Killarney “home-away-from-home.”

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Than007
Dear Than007

I am overwhelmed at the fantastic comments you have made about The Dromhall Hotel. I thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts about the location, product, services and staff. Reviews like this are really appreciated by us all.

I would like to say that it was the view from the Nissan Garage of the hunting lodge which was to become the Dromhall Hotel in 1964 that encouraged Garage owner my father, Neil Randles and my mother Kay Randles to start the Hotel business. My family today still own and manage the garage as well as the Dromhall Hotel and sister Hotel Randles Court.

Again I thank you and we are proud and honoured to be called your “home-away-from-home. I look forward to welcoming you back at The Dromhall Hotel in the not too distant future.

Wil, Switzerland
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Nice hotel, maybe a little bit old-fashioned. Town center just a view minutes with the car, but you can walk if you want to.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Dromhall Hotel......even the name evoked a secret elegance when we chose to stay here while in Killarney; we were not disappointed!
A bright and well appointed lobby with beautiful furnishings and a magnificent sweeping staircase to the second floor promised much more..polished and gleaming, it was a fine introduction to the quality of the rooms.
How more delighted could we have been upon check-in to find that we had been booked into the bridal suite!! All because we mentioned in our booking that it would be around the time of our 22nd wedding anniversary. The staff was obvious in their delight that they surprised us in this way, and during our stay at Dromhall, they could not have been more helpful, cheerfully answering our questions, making suggestions as to our day trips, recommending restaurants and helping us arrange tickets for the Liam O'Connor show.
Our large room was lovely.......very nicely appointed with traditional furniture, a sitting area nestled in an alcove surrounded by windows, the bed was extremely comfortable with crisp linens and cozy comforter, the bathroom spacious and the appointments as one would expect.
A coffee tray was brought to our room quickly after we requested it, as well as a basket of fresh fruits. The tray was refilled each day with fresh packets of coffee and creamers.
We enjoyed the chance to swim in the pool adjoining, what wonderful warm water!
The location of Dromhall was perfect, just enough out of the center of Killarney to give us a 10 minute walk, yet nicely away from the hustle and bustle of this delightful market town.
We will definitely recommend Dromhall as a very special place and ould be remiss without thanking all the wonderful staff for making us feel so welcome.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Nanajo42

Firstly, may I take this opportunity to thank you for your comments and for taking the time to give us your thoughts on the service, facilities and staff at The Dromhall Hotel. Your review, along with many others, gives me great satisfaction and to know we are doing things right by our guests, at least most of the time.

As a family run business we like to keep in touch with our guests were possible and take pride in delivering a high standard of service/product. We have great staff working with us and comments like yours gives them a boost also.

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed May 29, 2011

When we arrived we were checked in quickly it was just so relaxing and peaceful especially after leaving the kids at home for our one night break, The room was spacious clean and welcoming, We didnt use the spa facilities at the adjoining sister hotel as we were relaxing we had a beautiful meal which was included in our deal . The best think I liked about this was it was personal its family run and even on the day we were checking out one of the owners Bernadetted took time in the car park for a chat and local history lesson even though they were awaiting the arrival of the President of Ireland. Thanks to all it was a lovely break keep up the standard

Room Tip: Telephone the Hotel Directly for the best price
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carmel1972
BernadetteRandles, Manager at Dromhall Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
Dear Carmel197,

I am delighted to learn that you were pleased with your stay at The Dromhall Hotel and you found your surroundings so relaxing. As a family run business we like to keep in touch with our guests were possible and take pride in delivering a high standard of service.

I will take this opportunity to thank you for your comments and for taking the time to give us your thoughts on the service and facilities at The Dromhall Hotel.

MADISON
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Nicely decorated hotel and room. Great location, pub, food. Staff very helpful and frienly. Would stay there again.

Stayed April 2011
BernadetteRandles, Manager at Dromhall Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2011
Dear 111tahoe,

First and foremost, may I take this opportunity to thank you for your comments and for taking the time to give us your thoughts on the service and facilities at The Dromhall Hotel.

Your feed back and comments are well appreciated and of immense value to us as it enables us to continuously monitor and measure the level of service and standards at the hotel.

I am delighted to learn that you were pleased with the service of the staff and would like to thank you for your appreciation.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 11, 2011

The room was very nice, although the bath was a bit small for two (not complaining)! The room looked out to a huge concrete retaining wall, which could be made more attractive with plants or water features (again, a small crib). We had dinner in the bar/cafe which was more reasonably priced than the restauarant upstairs. The meal was very nice, and we had good service. Didn't like the tv over our head being cranked up so that four locals could watch a foreign football match. Really, a full restaurant, and the host thinks it's best to push the volume up full for four locals. Not on.
Now, the breakfast. Previous reviews warned that it was crap. And it was. Cutting into the sausage on the first morning, it was grey. The pudding had the texture of sand, and the bacon was SO salty. The second morning I opted for the pancake (crepe). It arrived, ONE pancake, some syrup, and a dash of icing sugar. A sprig of mint or angelica would have made all the difference; a second pancake may have made it worth the price, and piece of peach or orange would have made it worthy to be served in a four star hotel.
Come on guys, why scrimp on the meal that may be the only one your guests share with you. Where did you find such cheap sausages and puddings? Are they even European, never mind Irish? I would hate to think that there is someone in Ireland producing such fake produce for the meal that deserves the title 'irish breakfast'. Call it Congo breakfast, or Bangladeshi breakfast (no insult intended, but it was third world).
Overall the service was great, we had a lovely swim and sauna before leaving. Staff were great, but get rid of the crap for breakfast. You could also invest in better coffee beans; yes, your coffee is crap.
Oh, the other thing other reviewers picked up on was the lack of coffee/tea facilities in the room. True, we missed them, but not a big issue compared to the awful breakfast.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank KilianPaul
BernadetteRandles, General Manager at Dromhall Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2011
Dear Paul Kilian

Thank you for reviewing The Dromhall Hotel. I am very happy that overall you enjoyed your stay with us but I am very disappointed and I apologise that you did not enjoy certain aspects of your visit. It is unfortunate that you did not raise your issues when you were here and allowed us an opportunity to investigate and rectify the matters.

To address your points:

1. I acknowledge your point with regards to the retaining wall at the rear of the hotel. The rear of the hotel serves as the delivery point for all our goods. Therefore we must be careful with what we put up against the wall as overhang of shrubbery would hinder larger delivery vehicles. The space is somewhat confined therefore water features etc unfortunately would not be practical.

2. I am very happy you believe you received value for money in the Kaynes Bar. We do strive in this day and age to give a good choice to our guests and our all day Gastropub menu in Kaynes Bar is very popular. Kaynes Bistro is opened each evening and an A La Carte menu is available in more relaxed surroundings. Kaynes Bar and Bistro is very popular with non residents and with locals.

3. I am very sorry about the volume on the television and would agree with you. Our bar staff would have been delighted to have dealt with this small problem. We do have a good local trade in our bar but I assure you all visitors are treated equally as we are very dependant on word of mouth.

4. I apologise that you did not enjoy your breakfast which we feel is the most important meal of the day. I can assure you that all of our breakfast meat products are best quality and Irish and we can provide our guest with full traceability for every food product. We regularly receive very positive comments in relation to our breakfast and we still cook our breakfast to order and serve it to your table as opposed to the now common and often dreaded “breakfast buffet”. It would be great if you can contact me with your dates of stay where we can look into this matter a bit further.

5. We provide Tea/Coffee trays upon request which are complimentary. While it is listed in our bedroom literature maybe we should have communicated this message better to you.

I thank you for your comments with regards our staff and service and I can assure you that they are taken very seriously. Hopefully you will choose to return to us and please contact me personally if you choose to do so.

Kind Regards,