“Decent hotel, but don't eat dinner”

Riverside Hotel Killarney
Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Hong Kong, China
“Decent hotel, but don't eat dinner”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Full disclosure: I didn't book this hotel, I booked a nearby one that decided it didn't have enough guests to stay open and transferred my lady and I to the Riverside. So we went in a little jaded: it wasn't where we wanted to be.

First impressions: amazing lobby - spacious, light, comfortable and warm, and polite front desk staff.

Room: comfortable enough. Two small towels not really sufficient though. No facecloths either.

Bar: welcoming and very friendly service.

Dinner (we'd booked for a dinner at our original hotel - known for its food - and that was also transferred to our Riverside reservation): awful beyond words. Actually the service was lovely and friendly, but the food was staggeringly bad. Even the bread was a failure, served with a musty, ancient-tasting butter and some form of "pesto" sauce that was luminous green and tasted like mineral oil. We advised the staff and the butter was replaced with one that was edible, and the chef allegedly made us a fresh pesto sauce that was, if anything, slightly worse. I had the seafood chowder, which was almost entirely butter, and then a lamb shank which was dry and apparently drizzled with molasses. My companion very bravely had the fisherman's platter, which was full of mussels with smashed shells. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Breakfast: nowhere near as bad, fortunately. The full Irish was perfectly decent (but the portion sizes were oddly variable - the first morning I had a very satisfactory, generous breakfast; the second morning saw parsimonious servings). The pancakes were, somehow, burned, though. Decent semi-buffet with mini-croissants and cheese and cereals.

So - for B&B, there's not much wrong with this hotel at all. Do not even think about the dinner.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Richard S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
County Cork, Ireland
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed staying at the Riverside Hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful. The food was lovely. The hotel was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. We had a lovely big room with shower and bath and lots of very hot water. Thank you everyone!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cork2008
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed on a New Year package at this hotel and overall I was disappointed with it. Firstly alarm bells should have rung out when the package was for New Year’s Eve and the following night; most people head home on New Years day and this was going to limit the number of people attending this function........bourne out by people in the hotel on the 2nd Jan.

On arrival at the hotel around 15.00 our room was not made up which surprised me –I appreciate this can happen and the staff sorted this out immediately.

The advertised “New Year Eve in Killarney” package was to include

• 2 nights accommodation
• Sparkling wine reception on arrival
• Breakfast each morning
• Delicious 3 course New Year evening meal
• live entertainment
• late bar

So starting from the top the accommodation was average-the rooms are in need of a deep clean but otherwise fairly ok. The wine reception and food were very good but the restaurant area really looked and felt like an extension of the bar; wooded floor which is in need of re-varnishing as were the doors to the kitchen-certainly not 4 star. Live music was a disaster as I had expected “live” music during and after the meal-Christmas piped music was best on offer! The area for this music was created by moving furniture in the reception foyer and it was not set up at 22.00 when leaving after dining– no sign of any activity and people just waiting around for something to happen. The bar is again average décor but staff were excellent.

This hotel in my opinion is certainly not 4 star - the only way I can imagine them getting this rating is because staff are excellent; I would rate this hotel as a reasonably good 3 star. Ideal for couples who want a quiet break but the facilities overall are fairly basic.

Room Tip: Request room at the front of hotel as regular intermittent noise from fans/electrical units out back
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights. The room had a very old television and the remote had black tape around it. Obviously to keep it together. Think the tv needs a huge upgrade.

The facilities of the hotel are good. The bistro/bar is good with nice cold beer and bar food. All reasonably priced. I tried my first Irish coffee here and it was lovely.

Searched to try to find a place to have our clothes washed and dried. Didn't go through the hotel as it seemed expensive. Found a place at the end of High Street called Fine Line Dry Cleaners and they did our washing for €12 and we picked it up later on that day.

Stayed January 2014
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed January 2, 2014

my husband and I have stayed at this hotel twice in the past twelve months for one night b&b on both occasions. we found the staff very pleasant and helpful. The rooms were very comfortable and extremely clean as was everywhere else in the hotel. The breakfast was also good.We will stay in this hotel the next time we are in Killarney. Amanda & John.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

cork, ireland
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We have stayed in the riverside hotel on many occasions and this hotel has never left us down. The staff at the front desk are good at there job no messing about checking in. The room was very spacious with all we needed and the bathroom was very large. We had plenty of storage in the room with tea and coffee, a safe etc. I nearly lost my wife in the bed it was so big LoL.
The bar food is very reasonably priced and the breakfast in the morning is very satisfying. The only quible I would have is that the bar dosen't have any sports channels to show live sport and as I love to watch live sports I had to go across the road to another hotel to watch a live match.
This hotel is idealy located for touring Killarney or even attending a show or concert at the INEC.
We will be staying here again without a doubt as it is in walking distance from INEC.

Room Tip: Room 312 is a beautiful room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed December 16, 2013

From the moment me and my mum checked in we noticed the bad customer service. We had arrived early so could not check in yet which was completely understandable so they placed our luggage in a room behind reception. When we returned a few hours later we checked in and asked for our bags the receptionist told us that she could not get our bags but would bring them up as soon as she could go in the room as her manager was in a meeting in that room. We said we needed our bags and her response was ok but if he starts shouting its not my fault. We were shocked! It all just seemed liked we were the problem. The room was lovely no problems there but hours after checking out I realised I left 3 of my rings there which I had taken off for a shower. It was nearly 5pm which I found strange that they hadn't rang saying housekeeping had found them that morning. They posted them back to me which was fine but realised they had over charged me for the postage a significant amount. We decided to leave feedback of the customer service and the manager rang to talk to us and we explained the problems and everything had an excuse, it was all our problem there was no apology. I could'nt get over what he was saying. I would definitely not recommend this hotel and would advise any friends or family to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family