“Perfect location and extremely well looked after by management and staff.”

Killarney Oaks Hotel
Ranked #29 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I have to say, what a gorgeous hotel and establisment! Credit to the people who have made
it to what it is. Can't fault the place.
Travelled with partner and child for leisure, for once. I spend a lot of time in hotels due
to the business I'm in.
You always want to be welcomed in a friendly and positive manner, this is what happened and continued on from there.
Beautiful room and plenty of space.
Breakfast was wonderful and have to say, plenty of choice and goodies for children.
Summed up, a gorgeous visit where we were truly welcomed, looked after and had a good rest and a fantastic breakfast which set us up for the day!!!
We are planning to return again soon which is why I was looking at this site.
The more recent reviews on Killarney Oaks are completely at odds with our experience and would hope it would not hold anyone back to book this truly wonderful experencience.
Once again, thanks to all staff for looking after us so welll in which clearly was a busy weekend at the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed August 21, 2010

I stayed in The Killarney Oaks Hotel while attending a wedding there. I have to say that I really enjoyed my stay and must compliment the staff. The rooms were nicely decorated and comfortable. The following morning I had a beautiful breakfast in the restaurant. Went for a long walk around the lake before we met up with friends for some lunch. Had a brillant experience and would definately return.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 17, 2010

I booked this hotel for 3 nights after seeing the lovely photos on their website - BIG mistake. Don't be fooled by the glossy pictures. This hotel is a joke.

When I arrived we were given a room next to the industrial wash room with washing machines whurring away. I asked to be moved because of the noise. I was told the hotel was full (despite having a massive "vacancies" sign displayed outside). Anyway I was moved.

The room was filthy and smelly (and this was a non smoking room). The bathroom was tired and filthy. Towles had holes in them, the grout around the bath was disgusting - see my pictures (if I can get them uploaded). The bathroom door didn't close properly and the hook for the towel had been ripped out - see pic.

There were spillage marks on the walls with dirty scuff marks everywhere (see pics).

The chairs had crumbs all over them and I didn't dare sit in them - again see pics.

The following day there was no hot water for a shower !!!! I'd had enough so went to reception and asked to book out. I said I wasn't happy to pay the full price and I didn't want breakfast either. I was told that I had to pay the full price for the evening £99.00 - they wouldn't deduct the deposit I had paid, so I had to pay the full wack again. In addition to this I was charged 7 euros for each of the 2 nights I wanted to cancel.

In total I paid approx £140.00 for one night in this hovel.

I asked who I should complain to - low and behold I had already been speaking to the Manager - he was arrogant, had no regard for his customer whatso ever, and had no customer service skills whatsoever.

As we had paid £140 for the night we decided to have breakfast.

What a joke - no where to sit, dirty uncleaned tables everywhere. The toasters didn't work - well if you were prepared to wait 15 mins for 1 slice of toast, then you'd be OK.

Never again - I wish I had read the reviews on here before I booked. 37 out of 38 hotels in Killarney - what surprises me is that there must be at least one other hotel worse than this one - glad I didn't chose that one !!!!

Good luck to anyone who dares to stay here - be absolutely sure you want to stay in this hovel before you book or else you'll be ripped off for your deposit.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank bumble007
Reviewed August 14, 2010

I did not enjoy my stay here in any way shape or form. I felt the staff did not care about my concerns or needs and would never return under any circumstances. The reception area and outdoors looked nice but it does not make up for the attitude of the staff.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hellohome
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I attended a family wedding here recently & booked one of the rooms. The wedding aspect of our stay at The Oaks was very enjoyable - it was a large wedding party (approx 300) and the hotel was clearly experienced in dealing with large numbers. The room used for the reception was ideal, the service was good & the food was exceptional for wedding food.
My main gripe with this hotel is with the room - we hadn't been offered a smoking/non-smoking option upon booking the rooom & I didn't give this any thought. I wish I had -the room stank so badly of stale cigarette smoke that it made me nauseous as soon as i walked in. It was truly disgusting (and i'm partial to the odd cigarette myself!). As we were there for a wedding & wouldn't be spending much time in the room we chose not to complain & to just get on with enjoying the day/night. Aside from this problem, the room was only ok - very basic, the bathroom was pokey & the shower was dismal. I paid 130 euro for the room which i feel was excessive considering it a special rate offered to the wedding guests. Not good value at all for what we got.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CorkIreland_1979
RichHalpin, Owner at Killarney Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2010

Dear CorkIreland_1979

Thank you for your generous remarks regarding the professional manner in which we serviced the Wedding. Such positive reports are very much appreciated. We have seen your review on our property and are so disappointed that one element spoilt what was for you a positive experience

Smoking Rooms are for us the bane of our lives. So difficult to manage the amount of smoking that takes place in allocated smoking rooms not to mention those that smoke in the bathrooms of our non-smoking rooms. On all of our booking forms we have a section for those who request a non-smoking room and try whenever possible to allocate the requested room. It is such a pity you didn't report this to reception and we would have moved you to an alternative room. Regarding the size of the bathroom, as the hotel is a relative new build this is in fact built according to the Failte Ireland guidelines for 4 star bathrooms.

May we take this opportunity to thank you for your business and hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to Killarney in the not too distant future.

Reviewed August 2, 2010

I went in to the Oaks on the 2nd of July and put a provisional hold on a date for our wedding.We were promised by Eamonn that no one would get it before us and if someone else wanted it we had first right of refusal. We had a few weeks to keep this on hold as we worked everything else around the date - booking church photographer ect.Approx 5 days before our hold would have been up we got a call from Richard who pretended not to know anything about us having our date booked and casually told us that so and so have that date, thats not yours.Richard himself had written our quote with the exact date on it and both of us had a copy so I have no idea what this was all about. To make a very long story short he asked us to come in 3 days later as he was taking a few days off. God forbid that he may actually do what a manager should do and sort it out prior to his time off! During Richards time off we called several times to talk to Eamonn and other staff members who told us that they would call back and never did. When questioned about this later they just said they had tried (I had never been out of coverage and no missed calls so they cant have tried that hard!). When we took time out of our busy schedule to go in to meet with Richard he literally just walked out and bascially said sorry but you cant have that date. The other couple had provisionally booked it 2 days after us but clearly they must have had more numbers than us or they were better connected to the owner but we were out on our ear and they clearly had the date. I told them they should be telling the other couple their sorry but all Richard could do was sit and say that there is nothing he could do. As a manager that is a pretty feeble response. I did not stay in the hotel but still feel that people should know how we were treated as the money you would spend on a wedding is huge and I feel that we should be able to trust who we are giving it to.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rsvp2010
RichHalpin, Owner at Killarney Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2010

We have read this review and can understand how disappointed the writer was not to be able to hold her wedding in Killarney's Premier Wedding Venue. We are recognised far and wide as the location in which your special day becomes really special. Our location by Killarney's National Park where photographs can be taken amid the natural environment and our newly built Oak Suite which has no pillars makes us a much sought after destination. To add to this our reputation locally for excellent food is well known. We were holding two dates provisionally and when she returned home looked for a third which was on provisional hold for someone else. When this proved unavailable we had to disappoint the bride. However, we wish her well and hope that she has a truly spectacular experience in the property of her choice.

Reviewed May 30, 2010

We have just arrived back from a lovely stay in Killarney Oaks. Staff were friendly, rooms were very spacious and clean and the price was great, We will be returning again!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple