“Very enjoyable stay”

Killarney Oaks Hotel
Ranked #29 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I recently stayed here for a long weekend with my wife. A breath taking foyer awaits as does a warm welcome. I found the hotel staff to be very obliging and professional. The rooms are spotless, comfortable, with all mod cons and has a very warm feeling to it. The breakfast service was second to none with a fantastic buffet selection. We ate in the bar one night and again service and food was beautiful(steak cooked to perfection). We stayed in the bar for drinks after dinner as the atmosphere was both relaxing and enjoyable. Bar staff were brilliant and very friendly. Will definitely return in the near future.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
RichHalpin, General Manager at Killarney Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Dear gavino133

Thank you for your recent review and kind comments regarding our breathtaking lobby area. We are delighted to hear your comments about our bedrooms and breakfast as we have put a sizeable effort into staff training and customer service and we never tire of reassurance. The Acorn Bar is home to weary guests and local characters alike, and after a locally sourced steak or freshly caught seafood people often like to relax with a glass of wine or beer and partake in a traditional sing song or friendly a chat with one of our many local patrons.
We would be delighted to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were in Killarney, Co. Kerry for 4 days - 5th to 8th April 2013 for a family wedding. We stayed for 3 nights in the Killarney Oaks as part of the wedding package as our neice's wedding reception was also in this hotel. We found the rooms to be very clean and roomy and suitable to our needs and the breakfasts were very good and a great start to the day. The hotel is very close to Killarney town centre and as we had brought the car with us, parking was free and the surrounding tourists very accessible from the hotel. The staff were very hospitable and catered to our needs as and when required. If we were holidaying in this area of Ireland again, we would use this hotel for our accommodation.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BigJim1888

Dear BigJim1888

Thank you for taking the time to review The Killarney Oaks Hotel. We are delighted to hear that your accommodation and breakfast were to a high standard. The free car parking which we offer to all of our customers is indeed an added bonus as we are close to Killarney town and also Killarney National park so it an ideal base.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I recently attended a wedding here and also decided to stay for the weekend. The accommodation was clean, extremely comfortable with a nice modern/fresh feel to it. The highlight of the weekend was the wedding reception. The meal was outstanding... I had the rack of lamb and my wife had the monk fish and both were exceptional. The service was very efficient/fast and friendly. Throughout the meal the staff repeatedly checked to see if everything was ok for our table. After the meal and the speeches etc. the place really came to life and everyone enjoyed themselves. The bar staff for the evening were excellent and at no time did anybody appear to be waiting for long periods at the bar. A thoroughly enjoyable experience we cannot wait to return and will do so in the very near future.

Room Tip: If you are attending a wedding mention this when booking as there sometimes are reduced B & B ra...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear HOD1980

Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted that you and your wife had an enjoyable experience during your stay at The Killarney Oaks. In particular we pride ourselves on our standard of quality food and service. All of our ingredients are sourced locally and the Kerry rack of lamb is especially popular at this time of year.
I'm also glad that you noticed our bar staff during our stay as we are delighted to have a professonal team of both food and beverage staff at our disposal.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Killarney Oaks Hotel in the future.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

attended weddind, food was cold and barely edible when it was finally served after a very long waiting time!! Service very sloppy! The place lives up to the very forst impression one receives from its exterior, shabby and a pathetic excuse for a venue for any occasion.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Emma P
RichHalpin, General Manager at Killarney Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Dear Tripadvisor Viewers,
This is a false and inaccurate review of The Killarney Oaks Hotel, Killarney's Premier Wedding Venue.
I am baffled as why a person would wait for nearly seven months to write such an appauling review. We have tried to contact Emma P to query the review and to clarify which wedding she attended, but we still have not received a reply. as we keep a thorough service timing sheet for each wedding and cannot find any service discrepancies. For these reasons we believe that this is a fraudulant review.

The following are just a small selection of our wedding reviews on Tripadvisor:
“Couldn't ask for better!”
“Best stay ever”
“So good!”
“They made our wedding the most specail day of our lives next to the birth of our daughter”
“New Years Eve.”
“Wedding Wow”
“Loved it will be back”

If you would like to read the full reviews as referenced above you will get a true reflection of our bespoke wedding service.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We ate here today and can honestly say it had the worst staff & food !! The staff are asleep they spend more time talking to one another behind the bar than paying attention to paying punters coming in the door trying to get served for food,we must have waited at least 30 min before we even got served!and we weren't the only ones waiting !seriouisly management wake up and get your staff to do something besides talking to one another behind the bar !!i can honestly say we will never go there again ...

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Grubadub
RichHalpin, Manager at Killarney Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Hello Grubadub

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at the Killarney Oaks Hotel. I am stunned by your comments. Our staff are friendly and highly professional and to have comments regarding lack of attention to customers is alarming considering we have had nothing but positive comments on our comment cards from satisfied customers.

To resolve this I personally reviewed all the inhouse security tapes to see what may have happened. I could not find any showing of our staff having the time to chat behind the bar nor did I see any patrons without having been attended to.

It is such a pity that when you felt you were not being looked after that you did not bring it to my attention. We could have addressed your issues at the time. I was on duty all Saturday and Sunday as St. Patrick's Weekend is a busy time for us and at no time was I informed of any delay or dissatisfaction.

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Acorn Bar at the Killarney Oaks Hotel.

kind regards

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Ate in hotel bar Sunday 24/2/13 all I can say is that a lot of establishments could learn a lot about quality of food and service from the Oaks.
The place was really busy with Sunday lunches and people were waiting for tables which is a good sign, our server Breda was probably the best I have ever encountered and I travel a lot with work. We had our 1 year old with us and Breda got a high chair, cleared the table and had a baby bowl out to us in 5 mins flat, that is good service and keeps the crying babies happy. The main courses were 5 star quality without doubt. Once our server saw our son was finished his food she asked if we wanted anything more for him and offered to get us ice cream, again this appeared in double quick time. I can only recommend the excellent quality of food and service here. We will be back again soon.
I haven't stayed in the hotel itself but from speaking with friends I gather the rooms are good quality.
We would love to spend a night at the Oaks there is a really good atmosphere there, have a nice meal and a few drinks would make a good night away.
They do have weddings here so it does get much busier when these are on.
All in all I highly recommend this establishment

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tom S
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed here a few years ago and asked for a non smoking room, and the rooms stank of smoke then they left the heating on high all night and my husband nearly suffocated in the heat of the place, rang reception and they could not open the window so we ended up been in a sauna for the night, my husband was fuming but refused to complain on check out, he just said to me "never again will we stay here" and we never have! The food was average but the fact that we were trapped in a room with no window freaked me out if there was fire we could not unlock windows. Terrible stay and never ever again. (:(

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Fionulla
RichHalpin, General Manager at Killarney Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

Good evening Fionulla,

I am reverting to your complaint about your not so recent stay at the Killarney Oaks Hotel.

Let us take your comments in order:

Firstly you mentioned on the first line of your review that you stayed here a few years ago but then towards the end you have dated your stay was in fact March 2012. I have conducted a search on our reservations system and am unable to find anyone named Fionulla staying with us in March 2012. Could you clarify when you actually stayed with us, if you stayed with us at all, to aid in my investigation of this matter.

As for your allocation to a smoking room, I find this difficult to believe as we have accommodated our smoking guests with the miniscule number of four rooms and have a strict no smoking policy in the remainder of our rooms. If this policy is not adhered to there is an automatic room sanitising fee to remove any traces of tobacco odours.

Regarding the issue which you had with the heating in your bedroom, again I find this extremely hard to believe as we have an upgraded heating system that is activated a certain periods throughout the day. There is also a thermostat in each room that allows guests to controll the level of heat output according to each guests preference.
As for your comment about the windows not opening, as you can imagine there are strict laws that govern the health & safety throughout the hotel, and because of these laws our staff are very vigilant when guests safety is involved. Furthermore, our windows are designed so that they cannot be locked, avoiding situations such as you have described.

If it was in fact The Killarney Oaks Hotel that you stayed in a few years ago, we would have been more than happy to resolve any issue whch may have arisen should it have been brought to our attention.

As for your comments about our average food, I feel that our food and service are of an extremely high standard, which is validated by the previous Tripadvisor reviewers who we appreciate greatly.

If you have made this review of The Killarney Oaks Hotel in error, we would greatly appreciate if you could remove it immediately