“Go after 8 pm for entertainment!”
Review of Major Colgan's

Major Colgan's
Ranked #33 of 193 Restaurants in Killarney
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Major Colgan's is located in the heart of Killarney National Park. With a great sense of history and superb food it is the perfect venue for dining in Killarney. Enjoy a selection of menu options, drinks including craft Irish beers, whiskies and Irish coffee. Enjoy live entertainment with musicians and dancers on selected nights. The pub is named after one of Ireland's unsung heroes, Major PJ Colgan who fought for Ireland's independence and bought The Muckross Hotel (where the pub is located) in the 1940's. He was a popular local figure who had a strong sense of hospitality and welcome for all guests.
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Comfortable premises. Food was better than the service. Beware of tour bus crowds if you are in a hurry!!

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Had a poor service experience here in early 2013 (long delays, burned food) but I put it down to the place being extremely busy that day. Went back again this month giving the place the benefit of the doubt and I will definitely not spend money here again. The bar was very quiet here today but it still took nearly 30 minutes to get our order. Two of our group ordered chicken wings but as a main course option, costing €14.95 each. Way overpriced. The portion size was decent enough (although I have had larger portions as a starter elsewhere) but had no side salad or fries or anything to bulk it up to a €15 main course dish. Therefore, our table essentially paid €30 for about 30-35 chicken wings. The bar also lacked any kind of atmosphere and played woeful 'Irish' music which didn't help. I can think of too many other restaurants that I would prefer to visit so I will not be going back.

1  Thank bluecheesedip
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Stopped here today for a quick coffee and dessert, expecting that it would be top class as its attached to a five star hotel! How wrong were we! I ordered lemon curd cheesecake which was tiny, had no lemon taste and was topped with this disgusting pale yellow jelly which I assume was supposed to be lemon...! The chocolate torte had by my other half was basic, tasting mainly of nutella! The staff are terrible, very young and unprofessional as we overheard them mocking some nice american couple that came in. The real kick in the stones was the price 19.20 for 2 desserts and 2 soft drinks!!! I would never recommend here.

2  Thank Twinkle86
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Went here as a recommendation by some locals we met at Dinis Cottage in Killarney National Park. Good atmosphere, Traditional Irish Music and Dancing. Food was good, nice selection.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

I just ate in this bar/restaurant. I waited a long time before my order was taken by a waitress who was totally disinterested. Ordered soup which was over seasoned, had to reorder my drinks as they were forgotten. Did not even get a glass of water with my food. Ordered trout for main and my son ordered chicken, trout was inedible and chicken was dry but edible. Complained about trout to waitress she could not care less. Paid up and left without leaving a tip which is very unusual for me, but her service was so bad. If she reads this please chose another career!

2  Thank Jackman064