“I expected more.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Danu at The Brehon

Danu at The Brehon
Ranked #23 of 183 Restaurants in Killarney
Cuisines: Irish, European
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Danu at The Brehon have a team of award-winning international chefs who are lead by our Head Chef Chad Byrne. Chad’s philosophy on food is to use fresh Irish produce served with a modern flair keeping ingredients simple yet elegant.Our team of international award winning chefs have created a menu of classical dishes with ethnic influences while still mindful of our tradition of keeping wholesome rustic cooking to the forefront.
“I expected more.”
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had dinner at the Danu recently and I was a bit disappointed. The restaurant looks amazing, it is very comfortable, relaxing and had great atmosphere even though was not too busy that night. Service was also good, polite and correct. The main problem was the food. I had a venison risotto for starter, the venison was very good, tasty and perfectly cooked but the risotto was very salty and too watery ( I almost needed a spoon to eat it), the rice was, at least, al dente. My wife had the monkfish for starter and the monkfish was the only good part of it. It came with a potato cake full of mustard seeds that totally overpowered the dish and made no justice to the monkfish. Main courses were more of the same, I had a nice big size portion of Bass, perfectly cooked and very tasty. It was the best dish of the 4 we had. But my wife had the hake that was dry, overcooked, tasteless and broke into a million small pieces when she tried to eat it. It came with also tasteless, tiny mussels in some short of broth that made the hole dish soggy and bland. We didn't try desserts. Wine was good but overpriced for an Italian vino da tabola at 26 euro. The house wine starts already at 24!.
We also knew that there was a cheaper menu available on the that we were never offered.
So a bit disappointed on the food side but the restaurant is very accommodating so we might give it another chance again.

kerry
“overpriced dining experience”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We recently ate here for my husbands birthday and when I contacted the hotel to book I was informed that there was both a set menu ( 2 and 3 course) and a la carte, however when we arrived we were not given a choice we received only the a la carte, as we didn't want to cause a scene we didn't say anything(silly I know). We couldn't fault the starters or the main course they were lovely, the dessert however was disappointing we ordered a pecan chocolate brownie... it was terrible, it was rock hard, more like a block of chocolate than the soft gooey one we were expecting! the hazelnut ice cream that came with it was fab though. The service was very good too and the staff were really nice. If you are looking for a great restaurant with value for money I would recommend you go else where.

• Visited February 2013
Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
“poor food, did not enjoy a bit of it.”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

wife and i thought to look at the brehon hotel while we were staying at another hotel in killarney. so we checked out the food in the bar. service was very good, but the food was terrible. i had the seafood tagliatelle where the pasta is nowhere al dente (too soggy) and some of the mussels were not debearded. wife had prawn and mango salad. prawns were great, greens were ok, but the mangoes didn't taste fresh. hate to say we won't be dining here again.

1 Thank kikumantsing
Limerick, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Brill food and service”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I don't have nothing bad to say about this restaurant everything was top quality from the service to the food,price and comfort i would highly recommend any1 to go there.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank brian F
Cork, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fine dining with excellent service”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Very enjoyable set menu, paid 35€ for 4 course. Smoked salmon and crab to start was absolutely delicious. My wife had Plaice for her main meal and she really enjoyed it. My Steak was nice too. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Couldn't ask for more. We enjoyed every minute of it. Will definitely be back again.

• Visited September 2012