“Fine dining with excellent service”
Review of Danu at The Brehon

Danu at The Brehon
Ranked #30 of 187 Restaurants in Killarney
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Danú at The Brehon have a team of award-winning international chefs who are lead by our Head Chef Chad Byrne. Chad’s philosophy on food is to use fresh Irish produce served with a modern flair keeping ingredients simple yet elegant.Our team of international award winning chefs have created a menu of classical dishes with ethnic influences while still mindful of our tradition of keeping wholesome rustic cooking to the forefront.
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Very enjoyable set menu, paid 35€ for 4 course. Smoked salmon and crab to start was absolutely delicious. My wife had Plaice for her main meal and she really enjoyed it. My Steak was nice too. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Couldn't ask for more. We enjoyed every minute of it. Will definitely be back again.

1  Thank Aigars Z
There are newer reviews for Danu at The Brehon

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The food is excellent quality. The staff are so friendly and know the menu inside and out. The wine list is extensive with a very wide price range. The atmosphere makes you want to stay for hours! Have been to Danu three times this year alone!

1  Thank Ciara D
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We had a party of 12 for a surprise birthday party and were given a private area at the back of the restaurant with great views. The service was professionally and attentive. Menu extensive and catered for two young children with us. Food was very good and presented lovely. Very good wine list.

1  Thank SioDav
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I had soup which was a bland mixture of parsnip and something else. Then I had fish (plaice)based on the recommendation of the waitress. Why do Chefs have to put 1001 and one flavours into fish? I chose fish because it is light on the stomach and I was afraid of the more cheffy flavours that are normally put into meats and their sauces.I didn't want to spend the rest of the night with my friends, the intestinal bacteria, complaining of another indigestible mix. I sure got it wrong. I don't particularly blame this chef, looking at cooking shows on tv they seem to do the same thing: press untold herbs and veggies into the fish. Fish does have a flavour, leave it alone. If you want, put a dressing on the side of the plate that the customer can use if he wants.
Having said all that, my wife thoroughly enjoyed the dinner.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

We were a party of 7 including two young children. We came to have dinner and enjoyed a drink in the very smart and comfortable lobby near the bar and restaurant. The menu catered for children and this was a plus. The restaurant was busy but not groaningly so despite the fact that everywhere in Killarney was full because of the influx of cyclists for the Ring of Kerry cycle tour which really pressured Killarney's supply of accommodation and restaurants. Two of us had done the cycle and we were very hungry. The restaurant is very pleasant in terms of ambience and space. It is tastefully decorated and the staff are friendly too. However, we had a ridiculous wait of over an hour between ordering and getting our starter. The children had finished eating and were on to their dessert before we started our first course. If I was a 5 year old I would have been frustrated waiting for the adults but the boys were great and modeled good behaviour to us even when we felt we had to rob a chip off their plates. We had a full half hour between finishing first course and starting our mains. In fairness, when we drew attention to the wait, the staff responded quickly with apologies and even gave us a free bottle of wine as a gesture of apology. I honestly think they lost the order as the tables around us seemed to have more normal service. The food was good and none of us were unhappy with it but the wait was crazy. For such a fine hotel, I would have expected better service but cannot fault the staff for responding reasonably well and quickly to the situation once it was drawn to their attention. If I was not so tired Id probably have said more but happily of them, 180km around the Ring of Kerry on a bike had me in a very mellow mood