“Zero Welcome from Kathleen”

and 1 more site!
Kathleens Country House
Ranked #21 of 140 Killarney B&B and Inns
BELFAST
“Zero Welcome from Kathleen”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

After driving for over five hours, our two cars containing eight adults in total, arrived in Killarney. We were tired, hungry and ready for a shower. We had booked using a visa card as requested so were shocked to find they had given our 4 double rooms away. This was bad enough but there was no apology, no offer to find alternative accommodation, just a feeble excuse that they personally did not take the booking so couldn't do anything for us. Killarney was packed that day and several people told us we had no chance of finding a bed within miles of the town. Thankfully a local couple coming out of a petrol station saw our plight and quickly arranged an excellent friendly B&B ideally located for the centre of town and at a far better price. Great hospitality in Kerry, yes, but NOT at Kathleen's. Be warned their booking system is suspect.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank SINGINPUB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We arrived at Kathleen's Country House after a long and rather stressful day of travelling, and immediately, Kathleen made us feel brighter and totally at ease. Her welcome for us was almost as though she had known us our whole lives.

She gave very generously of her time and considerable knowledge, providing excellent advice on where to go, and - given that we did not have long in Killarney - what we could cut out. She has a very broad knowledge of history and politics, and a special word for each of her guests based on where they are from, what their profession is, etc. She has a wonderful memory, and her mind works very quickly - she had obviously studied who we were before we arrived, and was able to remember very minute details that we had given her, discreetly approaching us on the second day to recommend something that she thought we might be interested in, based on a vague comment I had made the day before. In the hospitality industry, this is truly a gift, and she uses it extremely well. She is also a most entertaining woman, and genuinely made us laugh so much - she is a character and a half!

The room was very nicely decorated - patchwork quilt on the bed, fluffy towels in the bathroom -and was comfortable and very clean. Kathleen appears to have very high standards, and the room (and house generally) almost gave the impression that we were the first people to ever stay there!

The breakfast was delicious and very well presented - fruit juices, full Irish breakfast, cereal, and fruits, with generous top-ups of coffee and extra toast as needed. Kathleen introduced us to the table next to us, having realised that we had common interests - a touch that demonstrates that this is more than just a job to her.

There is free WiFi available in the house, although during our stay, it did not work in all areas of the house, and I found the best signal to be in the reception area. Car parking is private and felt very secure.

The overall impression was wonderful, and we have been left with great memories of Kathleen and her hospitality, which will stay with us for many years to come. We will go back to Killarney, and, without a shodow of a doubt, will stay in Kathleen's Country House when we do.

UK
Reviewed July 16, 2012

From the moment I arrived I was greeted by Kathleen with a huge smile and the same kind of welcome. Kathleen greeted me in the car park as I was unpacking and told me that she had been expecting me and knew who I was. And that is how I felt all the way through - known and welcomed.

After an instant check-in Kathleen asked me my plans for the following day (I was staying only one night). I told her. Taking all this in her stride she made two suggestions for how to make the most of my one day stay in Killarney. I took up both of her suggestions and ended up having a great time.

The country house is clean, tidy, well kept, spacious. I found my room to be similar. Everything was in order.

The whole breakfast was great. The welcome, the breakfast area, the food, the service and the other guests.

Next time I am in Killarney I will seek out Kathleen and her country house. As I said to Kathleen, she is the most welcoming person I have met in Ireland. And I love the Irish folks.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank MazUK
Netanya
Reviewed July 1, 2012

From the moment we arrived, our charming, informative hostess Kathleen helped in every way to make our stay so very homely - plenty of advice, information and recommendations on local restaurants - so that our time in Killarney was really lovely. The country house is just 5-10 minutes from central Killarney and yet quiet and relaxing in its position. Breakfast was a delight, plentiful and delicious. Our trips from her advice were excellent and our stay well spent. We look forward to a return trip.

Room Tip: I recommend room 9, at the end of the corridor, 1st floor at the rear of the house.
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We extended our stay at Kathleen's by an extra day as we found the hotel , together with the local attractions most enjoyable. Kathleen's provides. Warm, comfortable environment where the service is friendly and informative. Kathleen's gave excellent advice on local attractions and is obviously very proud of what the wider area offers. The breakfasts were delicious without being over the top. The lovely Margaret is a real gem!

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This was a nice place but not what I would consider a style of B&B when you are actually in the home of the host. It is a guest house with rooms very much like a hotel. Still it was clean and the breakfast was very good. Kathleen had a wealth of information however came across as spilling out the information like a broken record.

Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We needed to rest and detach after a very busy period and staying at Kathleen's Country House allowed us to do so. The room was beautifully decorated, comfortable, clean and quiet. The food was very tasty and fresh. Kathleen is a very special person, very energic and very helpful. The lodge is situated a bit outside Killarney, but it is easily reachable by car / taxi (10 - 15 minutes from town centre). Overall, the quality of the accomodation and Kathleen's warmth and hospitality turned our vacation into a wonderful experience and we do hope to return there one day.