“Small rooms, huge welcome”

Killarney Towers Hotel & Leisure Centre
Ranked #22 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Suffolk
“Small rooms, huge welcome”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Stayed at Killarney Towers on a coach trip. Initial impressions were of a small lobby, narrowing too much for comfort, to a lift of limited proportions. Room was well equipped, although a bit on the small size, and overlooking vent fans etc. The place was clean, and the toiletries were good quality. Linen was crisp and white, towels were fluffy and of a reasonable size. The bath had an inbuilt jacuzzi which was great for aching muscles, as well as a fun experience. The bed was comfortable, with no lumps or bumps in the mattress. The location was ideal, being right in the centre of the town. There was a festival going on for three days when I visited, which meant you could get involved without having to trek miles back to your accommodation. The food for breakfast and dinner was on a buffet basis: the choice was wide, and the quality very good. The desserts were especially nice, but then I have a sweet tooth. The bar, just before the dining room, was a bit too dark and gloomy to feel comfortable, but the beers were well kept and not too pricey.
All the staff were exceptionally friendly and, despite being there for only a couple of nights, we were treated like long standing guests or friends. Dining room staff were really pleasant and chirpy to a man/woman, as well as being on the ball in clearing tables and serving drinks.
The pool was good, despite being a little on the small size. The Irish requirement for a swimming cap came as a surprise but the room's shower cap came in handy for a change.
The Killarney national park is just across the road from the hotel, and so is handy for those who wish to take a stroll. I was told that car parking is not available at the hotel, but there is plenty of space in the car park across the road.
I'd certainly go back and have a Guinness there if I return to Killarney.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is a fine tourist hotel. We would stay there again. The rooms were clean, the Wi-fi worked, the breakfast was reasonable and one can get to two pubs without going outside the hotel. The hotel is centrally located so that walking through the tourist part of town was easy.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RoverPhiladelphia_PA
KTH_Guest_Relations, Guest Relations Manager at Killarney Towers Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your views of the Killarney Towers Hotel. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our location so convenient.

Guest Relations Manager
Jupiter Inlet Beach Colony, Florida, United States
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I really wanted to give this hotel the highest kudos, but it had problems. First, the good stuff. Killarney has the highest visitation rate of any city on the Emerald Isle so what’s important is location, location, location. The downtown site of Killarney Towers is outstanding; everything is a short walk away including the lovely national park. There is free wi-fi everywhere and the sign-in is simple (the best combination of any hotel we stayed in). The bathtub was a jacuzzi, a unique experience for us in Ireland and a welcome treat to a tired body after a day of walking. We found plumbing to be a common problem in Irish hotels, but not here! Our room had a safe, but I’m sorry to report, no refrigerator. The serious problem with our room was that it was above some part of the kitchen complex a few floors below. That place had an incredibly large and noisy ceiling fan directly below our window--off well before bedtime but on again every morning by 6 a.m. at the latest (5:30 one morning). About the title of this review. One day when we were out walking in Killarney National Park, we returned tired after 3 in the afternoon and our room had not been serviced. We had simply been skipped, and there is no excuse for that kind of incompetence in a 4-star hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms over the kitchen!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jack H
KTH_Guest_Relations, Guest Relations Manager at Killarney Towers Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.I am so sorry that you felt so let down by our hotel.

Thank you for noting the positive points that you experienced and I would like to take this opportunity to address some of the issues you had.

Firstly I apologise for the noise you experienced from the kitchen extraction system, this is generally not an issue so we have instructed our maintenence team to look into it.

Most four star hotels in Ireland do not have mini bars in their rooms but we do have a stock of fridges that can be put into guest rooms on request to assist people who may need them for medication etc.

Regarding the servicing of your room. Although as I don't have your name and cannot confirm the dates of your stay. It would be highly unlikely that your room was skipped, we have very long established and efficient procedures in our accommodation department and I would imagine that it was a case that the team on your floor just hadn't finished the stay rooms for that day as yet. They work until 4.30pm every day and the stay over rooms are generally the last to be serviced. The reason for this is because of the volume of tour coaches that we have in this hotel, and as we generally do not know the exact arrival time of the coaches (sometimes up to 9 arriving and departing on any one day) we need to clean the arrival rooms first.
During the month you visited we had an average room turnover of 6 coaches arriving and 6 coaches departing every day which meant an average of 500 to 600 people moving in and out of the hotel.

I hope that this experience did not upset your trip too much and I hope the remainder of your vacation was an enjoyable one.

Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I stopped here for 3 nights on our tour of Ireland, and we really enjoyed our stay here. The staff was very professional, kind, and helpful. The room was large, with a great view of an old church and roof tops from our room, and the bathroom had a large jet tub, which was awesome!
We didnt try the food here, but they had two pubs with live music every night, which was really great, and the noise level never crossed into the hotel rooms, which we really appreciated.
The hotel is close to everything!! Right in the heart of Killarney. Since it was our honeymoon, they even spoiled us with a free bottle of champagne, which was very sweet and thoughtful of them :)
The amenities at the hotel are excellent as well, although I guess if you wanted to use the pool you will need a swimmers cap-its required. I do believe they sell them at the hotel though if you dont own one, and you dont need to cap in the hot tub or sauna, so thats nice.
The only flaw would be the parking situation.... there is a parking lot right across from the hotel but its 4 euros an hour and its almost always packed. If you dont mind parking a few blocks away, you can park for free... I believe we parked near upper sunny side?? But other thank parking being a small hastle, everything else was excellent and I do recommend it if you are staying in Killarney :)

Room Tip: Be aware you will need to park a few blocks away if you are driving to ensure free parking.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us in the Killarney Towers and that you had a good time enjoying our entertainment facilities.

I would also like to congratulate you again on your wedding and I hope that your honeymoon trip lived up to expectations.

Regarding the parking opposite the hotel, the fee for parking is actually €1 per hour. I am unaware of any parking facility in the town that charges €4 per hour.

Illinois
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The first evening we spent here was after a long day of traveling...our group was bushed! We had students and adults, both male and female, traveling along with us and we were looking forward to settling into our new hotel. The nice surprise was the wonderful buffet! We had experienced some out-of-the-ordinary foods which most of our group was dissappointed in at a previous hotel in Dublin but that first night at the Killarney Towers Hotel was made more special because of their wonderful buffet! I had the lamb shank which melted in my mouth! I hadn't had lamb in a long time and this was cooked to perfection! The variety of foods from the main entry to the salads and desserts was perfect for our group. The students loved the buffet meals and so did the adults because it offered everyone choices! The rooms were fine...comfortable and clean. The staff was quite friendly and the lobby was a bit on the small size but wasn't a problem! However, I was a bit concerned as the lobby seemed to be open to anyone and everyone at all times (day AND late in the night) so the continual traffic in and out from non-guests was to me, a security concern.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main street side as it can be quite noisy from the crowds and traffic.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thanks you for your review on tripadvisor.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our dining options so appealing.

I would like to put your security concerns to rest also. Although our restaurant, bars and leisure centre are open to the public and therefore there will be non residents using the lobby during the day and evening our security team will only admit residents to the main body of the hotel at night. Every guest in every room is named on our property management system and anyone not on the residents list is strictly refused entrance to the lobby at night.

I hope that you enjoyed your vacation in Ireland and that you had a safe trip home.

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 17, 2012

This hotel has a great location in downtown and has a pub on both sides of the entrance
But it's loud and the no one will help you with your bags , and the lobby is small and when a tour bus shows up can be insanely crowded .
The rooms are adequate size and neat. Nothing special . The backside of the hotel is on a main road that woke me up but not my wife .

Room Tip: Ask for one near the elevators
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest.

Thank you for your recent review. Feedback from our guests is so important to allow us to rectify issues and clear up misunderstandings that would otherwise go unknown.

I am sorry that you found our location did not lend itself well to a good night's sleep. Unfortunately our town centre location can sometimes not be ideal for lighter sleepers but we do have almost 200 guest rooms and the vast majority are very quiet.

Regarding the luggage we do have porters on hand at all times to assist with luggage, this is a requirement in four star hotels and we would have been happy to assist you had you asked.

Our lobby is small for the size of the hotel and with coach tours having such similar schedules for trips etc it does sometimes result in a large volume of people moving through the public areas in a short period of time in the mornings and evenings.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

After my sister needed hospitalization, I left the group I was travelling with and stayed on at this hotel. This hotel offers very nicely appointed rooms, a terrific restaurant and a professional, caring staff. The staff knew of my situation and often inquired about my sister's progress and was there with anything I needed. The hotel is in a great location and close to the bus station. Hope to someday return to this spot.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank JAP167
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review on tripadvisor. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our team so helpful during your sisters illness.

We have about 70,000 residents in a 9 month period every year and we often see cases where guests encounter a situation which means them needing medical attention. This then leaves their travelling companion in a state of distress and obvious worry what with being so far from home etc so the lead that we take in these circumstances is to try to take as much of the worry away as we can and try to for want of a better phrase "look out for" the ill guests loved one or ones.

I'm glad that in your time of need we were able to help.

I hope that your sister is now feeling well and that you had a safe trip home.