“booking this hotel was the best decision we made”

Killarney Avenue Hotel
Ranked #24 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Kerrykeel, Ireland
“booking this hotel was the best decision we made”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

we got engaged in june 2011 and straight away started looking at many hotels, once visiting the killarney avenue and dealing with such a professional manager, Neil, we didnt visit another hotel and straight away made our decision and booked this hotel for our wedding. this was the best decision we could have made and not once during our wedding planning did we have to worry about a single detail in regards to the reception. the staff at this hotel are absolutely fantastic and they went above and beyond their duty when it came to helping with our wedding. words cannot describe the lengths neil and marlena went to for our special day. the night before the wedding we went to drop off wedding favours etc to the hotel...neil was in the function room with us all that evening helping us to arrange all the extra bits we had arranged as surprises for our guests, he went beyond the call of duty. the food was absolutely fantastic and having been to many hotels for dinner over the years, but especially for a wedding function the food is five star standards and all of our guests were praising it. we were so relaxed the whole day because of their professionalism, the food was served promptly, no long delays between courses like other weddings, everyone got so much food and the staff still went around to make sure everyone had enough. another thing which meant so much to us is the management went around to every single table with our wedding book to be signed so now we have a note from everyone to look back on in years to come, something they did not need to do for us. one of our guests gave us a cartoon type poster with cartoon type characters of both of us painted on it for guests to sign, marlena went out of her way on the day to go to the bar and the drinks reception area to arrange for guests to put their special note, something that may have been forgotten only for her. during the night i was speaking to marlena where she asked me if i was going to tie up my dress at the back to help me when out dancing and i told her we had tried but wasnt able to manage it...marlena had my dress all tied up with the ribbbons in a matter of minutes...they never ever stopped throughout the day, helping us to have the best day ever. the reception room, the bridal suite, even the standard guest rooms from hearing from our guests were just incredible. breakfast was just as fantastic. even at our dinner tasting before the wedding we were treated like absolute royalty..its impossible to write down the extras this hotel did for us as there was just too many. on the lead up to to the wedding we were in constant contact with neil & marlena alike and if they thought of any extras to make our day more special they were on the phone to us with their ideas. This hotel has a reputation for excellence as couples we have spoken to who have had their own wedding receptions here over 30 years ago also tell us what a fantastic day they had...excellent staff & excellent food is the reason this hotel still has star quality today. any couples reading this review, take our advise, if your looking for a venue with the friendliest staff, five star food,a welcoming atmosphere, and day to never forget, book this hotel for your wedding. You will NOT regret it....its a day we will treasure forever and the best start to our married life together and we will forever be thankful to the Killarney Avenue and their staff. thanks neil & marlena, you guys are just the best :-)
sandra and john broderick, killarney, kerry.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Killarney avenue ,what can I say
Rooms are very modern and very cosy,clean.the staff are very frendly and are very good.
It is a excellent hotel with a lively bar with very good atmosphere, the food is also very good and over all it is value for money,that is why I Come back every month

Niall Goddard

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Nailgod
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Regular visitor to this lovely hotel. No complaints until now. Turns out our rooms are above the bar and at 02.49 am we can hear the entertainment as if we're still in the bar. Make sure to confirm room is out of earshot of bar if live music is scheduled. Will consider another hotel for our next trip.

• Stayed January 2013
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

One cannot express their disbelief in this hotel given that it is a sister hotel of the excellent Killarney Plaza Hotel just across the road! (See a previous review by me). O'Donoghues, are the proprietors of both hotels along with the Killarney Towers Hotel. As it is winter, the Plaza is closed during the week. Mr O'Donoghue, you are closing the wrong hotel during the week!!

I was checked in by a very nice chap, very efficient. I went to my room and back to the bar for the evening menu. Having sat at a table for 10 minutes watching the 5 staff nattering amongst themselves behind the bar and serving those customers who were right in front of them at the bar counter (not many in number, perhaps 5), whilst totally ignoring the customers seated at the tables. I approached the bar counter and asked for a menu, I was told that the menu was on the counter, it was! in an upright perspex stand. Is this the only one for a large bar I thought? Apparently it was!

The barman quickly disappeared leaving me to my own devices to work out what was the soup of the day, the dish of the day and the fish of the day! It took me about 3 or 4 minutes to attract a female member of staff to ask her what the fish of the day is? I then sat back at my table and waited in hope, having ordered. The meal arrived, the food was great, but then they do say that hunger is the best sauce and I had had an exhaustingly long day, meetings and driving some 200 miles mostly along some of the Republic of Ireland's not so good roads.

Upon finishing, I waited to order desert, and waited and waited, the staff were too busy talking amongst themselves. Interestingly one customer at the counter had a query on his receipt and all five of the staff stood around him and then all five stood around the cash register to rectify an apparent mistake! Having waited some 25 minutes to order desert and upon noticing some dirty dishes remaining on tables near me, I decided to approach the counter and sign for my food. As I approached I noticed one member of staff talking to what seemed to be her friend outside the counter, serving the customers must be secondary?

When I got to the counter, another female member of staff printed my bill to sign and asked me if everything was okay, to which I replied: "The food is great, the service is not poor, it is non-existant, I tip for receiving service but not for no service". Upon signing the bill and purposely drawing two lines through the area on the bill that said "Tip". I ventured onto the street and had desert at a lovely close-by pizza restaurant and also a coffee.

The room was fine and breakfast was good but for some reason lacked baked beans?

Upon checking out the following morning and being asked if everything was okay, I informed the man at reception that the service in the bar for food is non-existant and asked what his position is? He said that he was the duty manager, he charged me full price (fair enough) but did nothing to encourage me to return at a later date having expressed that I stay in Killarney quite a few times per annum. He did say "when you next stay", I informed him that I would not!
I then proceeded to inform him that I am a senior business consultant and that he can read my review on Trip Advisor at a future date, and here it is!

I shall never stay at this hotel again, O'Donoghues operate a central reservations system to which one can phone to reserve a room. If they cannot give me the Plaza in future, then I cannot give them the business, in saying that I would try their other hotel, The Towers.

Whilst staying at this hotel, I was asked a question by an American family and I would like to clarify it for Americans who come to Europe, travel to Hong Kong, Australia and New Zealand.
We have the ground floor and then the first floor. In the USA you call the ground floor the first floor and the first floor the second floor and so on. When in Europe, please adapt to our english, as we do in the the USA by referring your floors as you do and to temperature in Fº rather than in Cº (e.g. 32ºF = 0ºC = Freezing Point) most mobile phones have conversions for such things built in. Another one to remember is that in the UK & Ireland 8 pints = 1 gallon, in the USA 6.5 pints = 1 gallon and 1 US gallon = 3.8 litres. Remember the old saying, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" and life will be less frustrating for you in Europe.

Room Tip: Stay at the Plaza, any room is good!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

A gorgeous hotel located very close to shopping and pubs. The restaurant there was very good as well. Only complaint is the mattress; it was extremely hard and uncomfortable. We had drinks in the hotel bar and enjoyed that quite well. The hotel bar had a very lively atmosphere and decent selection of drinks.

• Stayed December 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

This hotel is in a very nice area across the street from a park and waling distance to shops, pubs, and restaurants. The restaurant and pub in the hotel are very nice and the staff is incredibly helpful. Our international outlet converter did not work so the front desk was kind enough to charge my ipod daily during my trip. They also allow 1/2 per day use of their computer in the lobby so we really did not need to bring our laptop with us. The rooms were a pleasant surprise and were sized equivalent to an American hotel room. Did not use the pool since it was offsite in a sister hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel was such a welcoming place as the staff were very friendly and helpful. The surroundings were relaxing and beautiful. Our room was cosy and warm and very comfortable. We had a meal in the bar and it was delicious very enjoyable.. We would stay at this hotel again as it was so memorable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple