“Charming B&B--Amazing personal attention”
Review of Killarney Lodge

Killarney Lodge
Ranked #8 of 143 Killarney B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Killarney Lodge for one night in March. We had spent two nights at Friars Glen (which we also loved), but when they couldn't accommodate us for our third night, they recommended Killarney Lodge--and we're very happy to have spent a night there as well. Friars Glen is located in Killarney National Park. The setting is beautiful, but there is no real walking access to town. Killarney Lodge is on a quiet street within easy walking distance (less than 5 minutes) to a wide range of restaurants, pubs, and stores--and within walking distance to the part of the National Park that borders the town.

On all the standard metrics, Killarney Lodge rates very highly. The rooms and bathrooms are spacious, very clean, nicely appointed, and the beds are very comfortable. Breakfast was excellent and Catherine was helpful with suggestions and directions for the days activities. But what really distinguished them for us was the very personal attention they provided. I had a terrible cold while we were there (ended up seeing a doctor our last day in Killarney). On Catherine's suggestion we went to Bricin for dinner. The owner (Johnny McGuire) noticed I had a bad cold--made me some ginger tea and honey--and then he called Catherine to ask her to make us a hot Irish Whisky when we got home (because this would help the cold and ensure a good night's sleep). He told us to ask her to make us a glass when we got back. We really didn't want to bother Catherine, we'd gone for dinner quite late,so we didn't intend to ask her about the hot whisky. But when we arrived back at Killarney Lodge, she was waiting for us, brought us into the kitchen and then she and her husband made us hot Irish Whiskies (hot whisky, water, and a lemon slice with cloves embedded in the pulp) to take up to our room. This was one of the best drinks I've ever had--or maybe it was the combination of the drink--warm and soothing--and the setting--nestled into a cozy bed in Killarney. Regardless, it was very kind and clearly above and beyond in terms of personal attention. It made for a very memorable stay--and something new for my future "cold remedy" repertoire.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bigk9s

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Our party of 8 stayed here in late June. The location was perfect. We were able to walk everywhere plus the owner, Catherine, was extremely helpful with planning hikes into the National Park. The park is beautiful and a very easy hike.
Some of our group had never stayed at B&Bs before. After our stay at Killarney Lodge, they were hooked! Loved loved loved breakfast every morning. My favorite was the cinnamon toast. My college aged boys kept asking Catherine if she could please cook them lunch too!!!
We had 2 rooms upstairs and 2 rooms downstairs. All of them were nice.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank clarke13
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I was with a tour group of 30 people in August and we spent 3 nights at the Killarney Lodge in Killarney, Ireland. I have been to Ireland a number of times but I have to say that in all of my trips - the Killarney Lodge is without a doubt my most favorite B&B that I have ever stayed at! Charming, comfortable, gracious - it is the best!!

Room Tip: we liked being on the first floor - however after we left I was envious when I heard that some peopl...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank loveskillarney
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We had such a lovely, very quiet, spacious room overlooking the gardens. The breakfast was bountiful and delicious. There were lovely books about Ireland in several comfy areas....we could have stayed for weeks! The room rate was very reasonable, and the hosts so nice!

1  Thank Anne926_12
Reviewed October 2, 2012

All is can do is agree with all those who have written positive reviews before me. The location CANNOT be beat. Its a 1 minute walk to everything in Killarney, but away from traffic and city noise! Breakfast is WONDERFUL!! Very, very clean! Catherine took much time prior to our visit to answer my many questions - one of the benefits of staying in a guesthouse!

Reviewed September 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Killarney Lodge for four nights and loved every minute of it! The breakfasts were excellent and the location was perfect to walk into Killarney as well as the National Park. It also served as a "home base" for us while we toured the Ring of Kerry and Valencia Island. The rooms were very clean and the en suite bathroom was plenty large for both of us. Their wi-fi connection was strong so we never had a problem connecting with our family in the States. We will definitely plan on staying here again on our next visit to Ireland.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is an outstanding B&B. Catherine (the owner) is very welcoming and involved in all aspects of the operation. The room was large, quiet, comfortable and very clean. Breakfasts were superb. A traveler won't go wrong here. This was the best B&B during our three-week tour of the island.

Room Tip: Our room was away from the street, but all should be good. Don't miss the freshly baked croissa...