“Great wedding”

Ranked #27 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Limerick, Ireland
“Great wedding”
Reviewed September 5, 2010

Recently attended a friends wedding at the glen. Pleasantly surprised, service was very good and food was tasty and plenty of it. wedding was a great night and we stayed in gleneagle apartments very good quality. clean and comfortable, pool in glen very good. overall excellent experience

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2010
We would like to thank this Trip Advisor Member for their positive comments on their recent visit to the Gleneagle while attending a Wedding. We are very proud of the level of service & the fantastic Weddings that we host here at the Gleneagle.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay in the Apartments and the Wedding itself was such a success. Thank you again for taking the time to post your feedback always so nice to receive and share with all the Team.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon again and if I can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate in contacting me.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Polish first
Drogheda
Reviewed September 5, 2010

If Carlsburg did appartments....I stayed here this week end with a group of friends. Totally taken aback by the overall space and luxury of them. Anything you could tink or ask for was included and for a week end in Killarney the location was just perfect (with safe parking and cheap taxi's too!). Will def be putting this spot on my 'recomend to a friend list' and plan on being back soon.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I was recommended this hotel by my parents..they booked the hotel on my behalf..then looked on this site and was apalled to see the Guest Relations Manager critiscising bad reviewers of her Hotel and deeming the fact the Hotel gets bookings as proof absolutely nothing is wrong with it!(i'm sure i'll receive the same treatment!)
Room was spacious but extremely old fashioned..cob webs on window..giant stains on the window...PAPER SHEETS instead of bath mats(this must be the new cheap fashion..give me a fluffy bath mat any day!)..peeling paint on the bathroom cabinet..
Sleep was dictated by what time the arena finished their shows..it was like having a full show band in the corner of your room till 1am!..not so good when you have an early start..sound proofing needed!
Breakfast was a stressful affair..children running everywhere makes for a nervous walk balancing your plate and drink!
Again..AVOID AT ALL COSTS..I'd rather stay at a simple and personal B&B down the road and have a nice relaxing nights sleep and owners/staff that I can actually see and care about their guests stay.
p.s. don't get excited about the leisure centre..looks like a council leisure centre from the 70's..and also..the room info is completely wrong..it closes at 8pm weekdays..not 9pm which it STILL states in room cards.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2010
As the Guest Relations Manager I firstly wish to say that, no I am not about to criticize this Trip Advisor’s comments on their recent visit, as suggested above, or would I ever have this intention with any of the comments I reply to.
We believe that everyone is perfectly entitled to express their opinion, whether it be Positive or Negative, however it is when we do not get the opportunity, when someone is not happy to at least try and turn things around for them.

It is very disappointing when I learn that someone really did not enjoy their stay that much and has not even one nice comment to mention after spending a visit with us. I speak with a lot of people here in the Hotel, sometimes, YES, they may wish to express or highlight a negative comment they may have experienced but we always take this on board and go out of our way to try and rectify the issue and try 100% to amend whatever issue they had.

We have a great team of staff here who are so friendly and helpful, many of whom are here many, many years and who I can honestly say will go above & beyond there means if it means making someone happy. Yes I know some of the rooms are a little more dated than others but there is a long term plan to refurbish these few rooms.

It’s such a shame that this person did not express their comments or come have a chat with me during their stay as there is nothing more I would love, than making someone’s stay more memorable and seeing them go home Happy.
I gather from this members comments, that their Parents have stayed with us in the past and obviously had a good time. The Hotel is always a lot more busy in July / August and yes there are sometimes a lot of kiddies running around but that comes with the time of year, and the fact that we are one of the top Family Friendly Hotels in the Country.

I would just like to suggest that should this person wish to contact me directly, should they wish to visit us in the future. I will personally handle there Reservation details and ensure that they will be looked after and leave with some very positive comments.
Caroline Papin.
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed August 27, 2010

I don't even know where to begin to describe the weekend myself and my boyfriend recently spent at the Gleneagle. I am not a negative person but I just feel I have to share my observations with fellow travellers...Our 2 night weekend break cost €198 (no breakfast included) which we thought represented good value for The Gleneagle, which is supposed to be 'the place to be' in Killarney - this could not be further from the truth. We were so disappointed. Our room was clean for the most part but very basic and old-fashioned. Our television was fuzzy, there was a substantial cigarette burn in our bedcovers, 3/4 large chips in the enamel of our bath and our curtains were filthy dirty. (If they can't get the basics right....) We chose not to dine at The Gleneagle as there were children running around all over the place, most of whom were unsupervised. The entertainment in the hotel is directed soley at families with young children and also at a more mature audience. Young couples just do not fit into the plan here. We ended up avoiding the hotel for the weekend. We did however venture into O' Dea's bar on the Saturday night and to our amazement there were young children running riot in the bar - and this was well after 12am. This was extremely annoying, totally unacceptable - not to mention illegal. The ironic thing is that it was clearly stated in the information provided in our room that children WOULD NOT be allowed in the bar after 8/9pm in order to comply with the law - Practice what you preach! The entire hotel badly needs to be dragged into the 21st century in terms of refurbishments. We would not reccomend The Gleneagle to anybody of a similar age or otherwise.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cailinnagaillimhe
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2010
I am very disappointed at having read this report and how negative this Trip Advisor member OPINION was of the Hotel, when the majority of our customers really enjoy their visit and give us spectacular feedback on their wonderful stay.

These issues pointed out here that have been all discussed at our weekly meeting and as I say to people if you are not happy with something why don’t you inform a member of staff or ask to have a private word with one of our Managers on Duty so at least we can try & sort a problem to the best of our ability.

May I point out that we are a Family Hotel and very Child friendly, therefore August being the height of summer does tend to be extremely busy with Families & children and therefore we certainly have to aim our entertainment around families and kiddies during the summer months. We also provided a summer programme of kid’s activities in our Kids Clubs & for teenagers. All of which were Fully supervised, outside these Clubs and activities it is up to Parents to supervise their children and not the Management or Staff yes we welcome Families in the Bar and advise them until a certain time however if Residents choose not to put their children to bed at reasonable times that is out of our control…

Everyone is entitled to their opinion however their opinion is not always a true reflection and sometimes just their own personal dislike. I would however like to point out that we are a 3 Star Hotel however our Sister Hotel the Brehon, just next door is a 4 Star Deluxe hotel that may be more suited to some customers that may still wish to have full use of our facilities.

Caroline Papin.
ireland
Reviewed August 27, 2010

We Stayed in this hotel just a few weeks ago and wasnt our first visit to the hotel ! It is a Fantastic hotel . The entertainment in it is brilliant there is always something going on to suit everyone . Its hard to please teenagers but when you bring them hear you dont see them until your going home again the facilities and service here for children and teenagers is incredible , the people over these clubs are brilliant with the children and ther make frends every year ! Special Thanks To The TeenZone And its Staff and Dieter For Making My Familys' Break WorthWhile and we will be back to stay in the Gleneagle without a doubt again . The Rooms Were the perfect Sixe and the food in the hotel is delicious . always a good atmosphere in the hotel all year around . Brilliant Hotel Keep Up The Good Work .

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
We would like to thank this Trip Advisor Member for your positive comments on your recent visit to our Hotel. We are indeed very proud of the fact that we are one of very few Hotels that provide entertainment 7 nights a week, 365 days of the year.
We are also proud of our Kids Clubs that we ran during the day and the teen room for Teenagers in the evenings, we have received so much positive feedback from Families all summer and indeed from the Kids themselves…. It is so wonderful to see the kids and even better, the Teenagers… making friends and having fun together. I know the Kayaking and Cinema Trips and the Bowling went down especially well every week….

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you again for your lovely warm comments and if you wish to contact me in advance of your arrival next time please do not hesitate in contacting me.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back.

Many Thanks
limavadu
Reviewed August 20, 2010

I stayed at the hotel for 4 nights during August. My room was clean, the bed comfortable, ample supplies of clean towels, lashing of hot water, and the food was delightful, with ample amounts. Well cooked and seasoned cuisine. My congratulations to the management and staff of this excellent hotel. Oh, and I forgot to add excellent nightly entertainment, usually free, or at a very reduced rate.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2010
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
May I just say a Big Thank you for taking the time out to post this lovely few lines of your gratitude on your visit in August, I’m not sure what date you stayed but I am so grateful for your positive comments.
We are very proud of our product & service that we provide here, and yes some people tend to forget when they are posting negative comments that the variety of facilities we provide here are second to none. Entertainment 365 nights a year…..
We’ve had complimentary Cabaret every night for the summer for all our Residents, fabulous Kids Clubs and yes a wide selection of dishes to choose from in our Restaurant with very reasonable Special Offer 3 Course Menu, available to purchase from Reception for €20pp….. Amazing value for money and tasty too. Menus change on a daily basis and we are more than happy to cater for any kind of dietary requirements.

Thanks Again and Much Appreciated
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 18, 2010

These apartments are definately worth a try..once you get over the carpets(could do with a good clean)and the fact that the t.v. has 4 basic channels and no dvd(nothing for children)and the terrible iron (bring your own!)they represent very good value for money in a great (15 min walk to town) location...We brought our own dvd player and bought some dvds in Heatons(cheap as chips!)they are really quiet and have everything you need(washer/dryer microwave..)They also provide a welcome pack of tea,coffee,sugar,butter,milk,brown bread and even Fairy Liquid!You have full use of the swimming pool and they have some great kids camps and day trips once your kids are over 4..there is a small play barn that is supervised (5e an hour)for toddlers(not great)the advertised creche facilities arent available(but theres a great babysitter called Claire!...even brings her own dvds and player!!) but the pool is really safe and well supervised..They are serviced a few times a week,I would reccommend them and would go back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
We would like to thank this member for taking the time to post both their positive and negative feedback. We are always grateful for all comments brought to our attention and delighted that you took the time to post your thoughts.

May I just add, that should anyone have any special requests just to ask us while you are here, we are more than happy to and assist with any Guests needs where possible.

We would also like to use this opportunity to encourage any of our guests, who are unhappy with an element of our establishment, to make themselves known to management or our Guest Relations team during their stay. Perhaps we would then be able to address the issue before they depart.

Many Thanks