“Great staff, lots of old people, what a HARD bed!”
Review of Gleneagle Hotel

Gleneagle Hotel
Ranked #27 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Santa Clarita, California
“Great staff, lots of old people, what a HARD bed!”
Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

I would have left this hotel a 2 star review; but the service was superb.

Although they did not have hot chocolate, they made a glass for my wife who does not drink coffee. Instead of doing a tour bus for the Ring of Kerry, Caroline at Guest Services gave us some of her favorite recommended spots on the loop and we did the adventure at our own pace. It was her alone that saved our review of this hotel, she was absolutely wonderful and made our stay here.

The hotel is ideally located just down the road from Muckross home and gardens. We enjoyed a reasonably priced Carriage Ride and spent hours meandering the beautiful estate. The ride was worth it to learn about the rich history that accompanied the free walk and gorgeous views.

Even with the outstanding service, without an upgrade to the beds I could not stay here again. I have some back problems, and this was the hardest bed I have ever slept on. Literally, quite literally, our shaggy carpet back home I would consider to beabout as comfortable.

The hotel also seemed to be somewhat of a retirement community. However, this was no bother-just something to know if you are looking for a more energetic atmosphere.

All said and done, for the price, quality of service, and amenities, this is a 4-star hotel. Had we paid more, I would have been disappointed. Without Caroline, alltogether this review would have been the opposite!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Guests,

I would personally like to say a huge thank you to you for taking the time to write this review on your recent visit last week and for the personal mention to myself. It was my pleasure to assist you both and offer my advice on places to visit. I hope you got to enjoy the Ring of Kerry drive and got to visit some of the places I recommended and that you also made it to Blarney & Kinsale as planned..

It is such a shame you were only here for 1 night and that we had not more time to talk and had I known you were not happy with your bed I would have certainly offered you a room move and ensured your you got a bed more comfortable for your back.

I am sorry I never got this opportunity to improve this part of your stay but should you ever have the occasion to visit Ireland again please come stay with us in Killarney and contact me and I will ensure you get the best Night’s sleep and that this does not spoil your opinion of the Gleneagle.

Once again I wish to offer sincere thanks and gratitude to you for taking the time out to relay your experiences on your stay with us. Please feel free to contact me in the future and I will assist in any way possible.

Kind Regards
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Polish first
Ireland
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We had a lovely stay in the Gleneagle.
Our room was a good size and the shower was very powerful.beds so comfie.
We had dinner in the bar thought the menu could be better if im honest.
The desserts very over priced i asked for a selection of ice cream 3 small scoops in a bowel more like what you would give a child .
And i think this cost 6.50 euro.
Its a very busy hotel with plenty going on between shows etc.
I loved the breakfast plenty of fresh fruit youurts,brown bread ,scones and of course your fry up.
What i really loved was your toast was allready done so no standing waiting to use toaster which i hate in a hotel.
Very good value hotel to stay in.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tammycorkireland
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Guests,

In response to your review we are delighted that you enjoyed your recent visit and that you found the Gleneagle such good value to stay here, considering the facilities we have here all under the one roof to include the Leisure Centre and the Nightly Entertainment, Gift Shop and Free Parking it is indeed great value.

Sorry to hear you were disappointed with the Bar Menu on this occasion and the Dessert s, however the ice cream selection is in fact €4.50 and not €6.50 which is in fact pretty reasonable. Great to hear you enjoyed the Breakfast so much and thank you for highlighting this in your review, especially the Toast situation as this has been an issue in the past so delighted to hear that you were happy with this aspect.

We hope you choose to return to us in the future and if we can be of any assistance please let us know and we will be happy to help.

longford
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Stayed in the hotel last night for one night.Everything was perfect from the room to the staff,and the breakfast was out of this world.
Cant wait to return this summer for a longer stay.
Thanks gleneagle for a great stay.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you so much for your short but very complimentary review on your recent stay with us, we are delighted to hear you enjoyed it so much.

We are very grateful when people take the time to share their positive feedback as all too often it can be forgotten to share the good experiences.

Thank you so much from all the team here at the Gleneagle we all appreciate it and we look forward to you returning in the summer. If I can be of any assistance please feel free to contact me directly.

Ireland
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Stayed in February, booked into one of their 2 bedroomed apartments. On arrival the fridge was stocked with bread, milk, jams, butter, tea, coffee, etc, all we had to do was boil the kettle for a welcoming cup of coffee. Restaurants and bars were very family friendly, staff were patient and well mannered. Didnt ever seem like the kids were a nuisance. Check in/out was very efficient, and even ordering food later in the evening through reception was effortless.
We will return...

Room Tip: Appartments are well worth the extra few euros if you have kids.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank DekeIreland
Dear Guests,

We would like to thank you for your review on our Gleneagle Riverside Apartments. We pride ourselves on our service and our aim to please all our customers and ensure that they have a very memorable stay.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you again for your lovely comments we certainly look forward to welcoming you back.

Many Thanks
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

For a hotel with a big reputation I was so disappointed with visit to this hotel on Patrick's day. We decided to go have some lunch restaurant was closed so had to eat in bar . Took a seat at a table which I guess was not cleaned during the day . Was 10 min waiting decided maybe I had to order at bar. Approached bar and advised by staff to sit down and they would come over that took another 15 min. Staff was so rude everything was a issue. Food came out cold. It was disgraceful if u have any sense u will avoid here.

Stayed March 2014
Dear Guests,

I wish to sincerely apologise for the poor service you received on St Patricks Day. I can assure you this was not our usual standard by any means and would be happy to discuss this with you should you wish to contact me directly as unfortunately on this forum I am unable to get your contact details.

I await your contact to discuss further and once again apologies on behalf of all the service team they felt very let down at having read your report as unfortunately what happened on this day was something out of their control.

Kind Regards
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Spent the weekend at Gleneagles hotel Killarney - youngest daughter was taking part in All Ireland Variety competition. A large group of us stayed from Fri-Monday.
Hotel was well organised, courteous staff friendly and helpful.
Hotel,rooms were reasonably sized(standard) clean and all in good working order.
Staff put up with a lot of young children from the 4 large groups who took part.
Hotel is very spacious and has plenty to offer for young and older.
Not too far from the town where theres an abundance of hotels bars restaurants and plenty of scenic activities to take in
Enjoyable stay, would plan to go back again
Paul

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guests

I would like to say a very big thank you to you for such a wonderful report on their recent visit for the All Ireland Variety Show Competitions.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and our sincere thanks and gratitude to you for taking the time write this review and for your lovely comments in relation to the staff. I hope your Daughter did well in the competitions and hopefully you get to return to visit us in the near future.

Many Thanks

Letterkenny, Ireland
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,048 helpful votes
Reviewed March 5, 2014

While in Belfast before Christmas, I seen a notice in the window for a 5 day, 4 night tour to Killarney including B&B and evening meal in this hotel for 199 Pounds PPS, and thought it was great value. I have been several times, but at this price it would be foolish to turn it down. The bus left the Europa Bus Centre at 9.30am, and had us at the hotel shortly after 5pm, and I have to say that it was a lovely trip down.

Our Tour Guide/Driver was Dirk, and he was excellent. He was very knowledgeable, and had a great way about him, and did Ulsterbus proud. Our first stop was The Coachman's Inn at Dublin airport for lunch, followed by another stop in Nenagh at the Fairways Bar, and both places were ready and waiting for us.

The hotel itself was very comfortable, with great staff, and the rooms were lovely. It's a big hotel, and Dirk told us that they started off with 12 rooms, and just kept expanding. Each evening there was dancing in the ballroom, but that's not my cup of tea, so I gave that a miss.

Included in the trip was a tour of the Ring of Kerry and the Dingle peninsula, and an optional trip to Cork for 15 Euro extra, and again our "captain" did a great job, and I enjoyed the 3 of them. Unfortunately the time flew by, and we hit the road on Friday morning, heading back to Belfast, stopping at the Fairways Bar, Moneygall [for photos, thanks Dirk], and the Coachman's.

I was very impressed with the trip, so much so, that I picked up an Ulsterbus brochure to see what else they have to offer. Looking forward to my next trip.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank letterkennycaint
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Guests

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for talking the time to share your experiences and fantastic photos with us. We are delighted to see this review, as it represents the experiences of many of our guests that travel on our Ulsterbus Tours.

Over the years The Gleneagle Hotel and Ulster Bus have developed a wonderful working relationship and we wish to thank all the drivers that do a wonderful job at ensuring everyone is well looked after on the day trips and the journeys to and from the Hotel.

We are blessed here with thousands of wonderful customers who return to us again and again over the years and wish to invite more guests that have been on these tours to also share their feedback and experience on our tours with Ulsterbus.

We really enjoyed the photographs and feel you have a talent that you should be proud of. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. If there is anything we can do to make your next visit even more memorable please feel free to contact me personally.

With Kindest Regards