“Excellent Weekends at The Gleneagle Hotel, Killarney”
Review of Gleneagle Hotel

Gleneagle Hotel
Ranked #27 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Cork, Ireland
“Excellent Weekends at The Gleneagle Hotel, Killarney”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Since taking up Ballroom dancing approximately two years ago, I have stayed at the Gleneagle Hotel every weekend for the Billy Morrissey Country Dancing which is located close to the heart of Killarney. From the moment you enter the Gleneagle you know you are someplace unmistakably special. The ballroom is one of my favourite dancing venues. We would arrive on a Friday evening and always found the staff on Reception to be extremely helpful and friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them. The bedrooms are superbly comfortable and lavish. We would then enjoy dinner in the Flesk Restaurant where the food is always good and there is a fine wine list. After a full Irish Breakfast the following morning we would then avail of the swimming pool, sauna, jacuzzi and steam room which is totally relaxing. I have also used the Hair Salon and again I found the staff here very helpful. We are heading off to the Gleneagle again on Friday, 17th January, 2014 for the Billy Morrissey weekend and we simply cannot wait to get there as we feel the Gleneagle Hotel is excellent, very clean and great value.

Angela in Crosshaven, Co Cork

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Angela C
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Angela,

What can we say only a very big Thank You for this fantastic review. We are delighted to hear that you have been visiting us so often and enjoy the Billy Morrissey Country Music Dancing and that you really make the most of all we have to offer here in the Hotel.

I hope you had a good weekend with us this weekend and made the most of that Ballroom Dance Floor…

Looking forward to your next visit,

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Polish first
Dublin
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I love Killarney and my stay in The Gleneagle didn't change that! My boyfriend and I headed down for New years Eve and the NYE concert in the INEC. We got a great deal in The Gleneagle which is ideal when going to the INEC but in fact also a good location for Killarney town, Muckross, The National park etc.
Staff were excellent from the moment we arrived to moment we left. I know Killarney a bit but it was still good to get advice from Ann at reception and bar staff on things to do that we hadn't done before.
Our room was perfect, exactly what we needed. Breakfast was included in our rate and it was nice. We didn't have dinner in the hotel so I can't comment on food in the restaurants.
I'll be looking out for events in the INEC again in 2014 and will definitely be returning to The Gleneagle.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JanefromDublin
Dear Guests,

Thank you so much for your review. This is exactly what the Gleneagle is about and we are delighted you had such an Amazing time and thank you so much for the very honest and positive review and for complimenting Ann from Reception and the Bar staff- they are delighted.

Hope you get to visit us soon again and please come say Hello and make yourself known to us.

Bantry, Ireland
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We have been going to this hotel for past 15 years and have always found it excellent. Even with the turnover of staff over the past 15 years we have always found them very friendly, helpful and courteous.
The service in the hotel is always excellent. We attend an annual gala dinner and the food is fantastic. Our rooms are clean and warm, the housekeeping staff are very helpful.
We were greeted at the reception by Caroline who couldn't do enough for us.
My husband used the Aquila Club swimming pool and found it to be excellent.
Breakfast was fabulous and the waitress th had waited our table at the Gala Dinner the night before and was cheerful and helpful on the night and in the morning, the staff in general were chatty and fun which is more than can be said for some of us who had a late night.
My husband and I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and will return again next year and maybe during the year if time allows.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guests,

I would personally like to say a very Big Thank you to you for such a wonderful report on your recent visit. We our indeed very proud of our staff and the service in which everyone delivers and of course the fantastic atmosphere that makes the Gleneagle what it is and many thanks for the personal mention, so nice to see..

We are delighted to hear you had such a great time and our sincere thanks and gratitude to you for taking the time out to relay your experiences and feedback on your stay with us. We look forward to you returning in the future and I would be delighted to assist you in way possible in the future.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

I recently attended my friends winter wedding at the gleneagle hotel. My overall experience of the day in the hotel was simply amazing , from the time we arrived for the civil ceremony which was held in the separate function room beautifully set up for the service. The experience continued with relaxing drink reception. The food was excellent as well as the service .
This hotel wowed me when I was the best man for my friends wedding in 2004. And again in 2006 for my own wedding....it shows how the hotel, management and staff are continuing to deliver excellent hospitality .
My family and friends offen visit this hotel for different occasions and never once have been disappointed .
I would highly recommend the gleneagle hotel..

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest,

We wish to offer our sincere thanks to you for taking the time to post such a positive review on your experience for your friend’s wedding here at the Gleneagle.

I remember this wedding and the civil reception in the Ballroom was indeed beautiful. The entire day was a huge success and everyone who attended was such a pleasure to look after.

Thank you so much for all your compliments regarding the service and food, it is very much appreciated and we hope you continue to visit and recommend our Hotel in the future.

Kindest Regards
Ireland
Reviewed January 10, 2014

There is a lot to report !

Got to hotel and reception area etc is fine.

Receptionist seemed to just have a short sharp script to say as quick as possible to get rid of us on check in - it was not busy there - just seemed all forced as if there was a major queue or she really didn't like having to deal with people. But fine. I wouldn't give a bad review on that alone - it is in the context of the whole stay.

Room was OK decor wise. Needed a vacumn. Stained carpet. Carpet not stuck down properly in places. Curtains were filthy, looked like someone's makeup on them and big stains all down. Bed sheets etc had black marks on them. Decor was fine though.

Bathroom needed gutting ultimately.
It was filthy, grimey and the toilet was fully stained yellow just from sheer lack of cleaning. Bleach would have made it acceptable. The whole bathroom was like this in fact. All around was black and yellow and brown. There was a red stain down the cream bin... we can guess what that was : and if it wasn't - don't leave a mark that looks like that down the bin.
It was a very old grubby suite and needed ripping out.
I would not have taken soo much exception to it being very shabby, only for the fact it was actually way dirtier than a public toilet you would go into in a shop or restaurant. And i've seen outside toilets cleaner!
It was really really bad. I honestly didn't want to sit on the toilet seat.
My husband said that he barely had room to sit on the toilet for him the way they had laid out the bathroom and he found the shower bath extremely tight to shower in with the set up. he's 5' 11". The bathroom was a normal enough size there was just stuff sticking out everywhere badly laid out, old. He thought it was not right to have it like that with older couples going to Killarney a lot it would not be suited to that group with arthritis etc getting around the bathroom. The shower was dripping the whole time we were there. Towels greyey needed replacing, cream cheap old plastic bath mat completely discoloured and needed to go in the bin. Not many towels.

The dinner was OK, standard generic food you get in chippers and basic pubs. Edible and fine if you have to eat there but you would try to go somewhere else if you had the time.
Waiter gave me a glass with a big red stain on the rim - so unclean or used it more looked like - so I poured my water back into the jug and put my mineral in that glass - which I shouldn't have to do and they were so busy looking busy I didn't ask for another glass. It's just the thought that they didn't wash the glass and what else isn't washed.
Staff seemed quite over run but with not many customers and were slow with a lot of people, but not so bad with us. We were looking at other people who had been there already while we had been waiting to be seated, sat down and given menus and they still hadn't been served till right before we were. Kitchen was fast though. Menu had a small selection on it.

The sleep was bad, the bed was fine but the doors in the corridors really slam loud and all night they slammed, and can hear talking in corridor and in the morning could hear in next room so not good for a lot of people. I'm sure there is a slow shut thing you can put on the doors to stop them slamming. You see them in other buildings.

From around 9 am you could hear the staff banging on the doors to clean the rooms. And you could also hear people shouting at them to go away as they had been woken and them shouting back. One staff seemed to be checking the cleaning or something but not cleaning (but who had obviously not checked rooms very well going by our bathroom) was busy, buzzing around banging doors and agitating people, which did make us laugh but wasn't funny for the others in bed! It was too early, most people weren't up, and they were really annoyed. And it's no good putting that do not disturb sign up because you will get to hear the whole corridor being woken up and all the sorry's being shouted back!

The breakfast was bad. There was the buffet rock hard dried out selection, some cereal and fruit and dinner rolls (?!) and brown bread (also like from dinner) and toast. that seemed to be the lot. I don't think i've stayed in any 3* that had that little selection and pure rubbish that was out. If you didn't eat cereal etc and you couldn't manage to chew on the buffet then you had no scone or a croissant or something else breakfasty to eat!
The sausages were tiny, like 1/2 size ones and the bacon was hard. It wasn't crispy, it looked just about cooked but all dried out. and all served on a mini plate.. No proper plate to eat of, it was a side plate or desert sized plate. tiny, maybe to co ordinate with the sausages! And way too cold. It was all just about warm (not hot) enough to eat - if you eat everything fast. The sausage didn't melt the butter on my dinner roll (!). I would think not very safe to leave the meat & eggs at that low temperature.

And to pick on something -
There was a group of staff in the breakfast room, hanging out chatting, hovering over tables where people were eating - these weren't ones working in there - they were just passing through to the kitchen or something hanging around, covering the path for people to get up and get out to the food, didn't look like they were working in the kitchen either going by how they were dressed and there were staff trying to get by the other lot with food for the buffet etc from the kitchen. It's just they were standing over people eating at the tables and blocking the way for people from getting up and they were mostly families and they're trying to sort the kids out, and get in and out, it's just rude and uncomfortable for people and there's loads of places to chat elsewhere, it's a big hotel.

On checking out the receptionist - a different one - a man - said nothing to us : nothing.
We had made no complaints about any of the hotel or had anything to do with anyone so nobody would know we thought all this. He didn't say hi, he didn't say hope everything was OK, he didn't say do you want a hand with your bags, he said nothing. Not even a smile. Didn't even mutter thanks when he took the room card. Nothing was said. and again they weren't busy.
I don't think that suitable staff are on the reception - not to that type of public job, at least not a mute receptionist anyway (!)
They are the first and last thoughts on a hotel that leaves much to be desired - they could really do with being nice considering the rest of the hotel's standards. I don't want to be held up with small talk but Hi and Thanks are pretty minimal and would do in my book - though the rest is stuff you are asked in every single hotel you go in. I don't ever recall staying anywhere where the reception was like that.

If I have to say something good, after all that bad stuff, as I don't like to say all horrible stuff even though there was a lot : the reception area was decorated fine and the bars were too and common areas were mostly fine. And it looks like it would be good for kids in the summer with the facilities if you were mainly going to hang around the hotel. However, there is loads to do in Killarney and most hotels are better than this in most aspects and it's out of the way of all the other things to do around the town that are easy to get to & kid friendly.

The event centre is accessible from the hotel and that is very convenient for people going to anything on there as you could just roll up to bed but there is also a sister hotel next door that is nicer and a very short walk next door to roll into bed.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank membertrip13
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear Past Guests

We wish to thank you for your extensive review and accept your opinion. We will review all your comments and would be grateful if you would like to contact us directly to discuss further.

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here as we were going to a concert in the INEC. Arrived at 3.30 to front desk staff that looked like they wanted to be else where, our room was not ready so we had a drink at the bar which was good. Half hour later our room was ready, we were on level 5. Nice room warm and clean. Comfortable bed with no noise, bathroom was okay wall tiles need changing. We accessed the Center through the hotel. Went to the late bar at 1.30 and we still serving, such nice bar men and even got food at that hour. We realized that when we checked in we had not been told about breakfast times and check out times so we had to ask, the tenants were focused on what ever they were doing so it was another member of staff out side the reception that filled us in. We had a great night sleep. Breakfast was busy but worth the wait,was very nice. Cutlery could do with being changed, noticeably washed many times. All and all not a bad place.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Past Guests,

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us and got to attend a concert in the INEC here also. Thank you so much for the complimentary comments about the room, the bar, the breakfast.

It’s the perfect place to stay when attending a show or concert as you do not have to leave the hotel once you arrive and on weekends there is always some late entertainment in the Green Room Bar and sometimes even a sing song…

Your review will be shared with all the teams here and your feedback taken on board also.

We hope you get the opportunity to return in the future and once again sincere thanks to you for sharing your feedback.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed January 2, 2014

myself and my family stayed down in the gleneagle hotel in December 2013 for my grandmother and grandfathers 50th wedding anniversary, myself and my sister came down on our own as she wasnt finished work until later, we arrived at what we thought was the hotels car park as we had no signs to tell us otherwise after 5 minutes trying to find signs to reception which we eventually found, myself and my sister went up to our twin room to shower before dinner, there was no hand towel in the bathroom, there were stains on our body towels and head towels the room was so hot we had to open a window, in my mother and fathers room there was a hole in the duvet and the room was stifling hot the paint was pealing off the sides of the walls and my grandmother got locked out of her bathrom, we went down for dinner, all ten of us, we were seated immediately, the waiter asked the first three people did they want drinks and then walked away, another waiter comes over to see if we wanted wine he ignored the white wine order brought down a bottle of red and looked like i was a burden when i tried to explain he forgot the wine i asked for a pinot grigio and he brought the first bottle of wine he could find still ignoring my uncle at the end of the table, i have worked as a waitress and i have never ignored a customer like that i have served 40 people and took the one order at a time so there is no excuse for this, the waiter cut in between conversation collecting plates without saying excuse me or sorry or anything, the menu was appalling there was nothing appealing on the whole menu and for such a small menu the food was not up to scratch it was bland and tasteless, during the meal me and my uncle were interrupted during our conversation wondering who was going to settle the extras in the bill? they did this 3 times, i also witnessed one of the restaurant staff come out of the bathroom cubicle and walk straight out of the bathroom which makes me question the hygiene of any of your staff that works at the gleneagle as hygiene is obviously not stressed enough when dealing with food, the bathrooms beside the green room smelled like sewerage and got worse throughtout the night it was revolting and as i tried to bring the staffs attention to this the only girl behind the desk was on the phone so i couldnt complain when i wanted too although im sure plenty of people complained, the bathrooms and rooms need a lick of paint and the waiting staff need to be retrained to act like they dont hate their jobs and everyone they serve, i didnt feel comfortable during my stay there and either did my family only for the celebration that was in it, it would have been a terrible weekend!!! clean up!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank laura f
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Laura,

Having just seen your review I am totally surprised to hear you had such a negative experience on your recent visit with us.

I have made some initial enquiries into your feedback however our Restaurant Manager that looked after your party on the Saturday night is not here at the moment. I would like very much if we could discuss this with you directly as this is not the normal feedback we get from any special occasion dinners in fact on the same night we had another 50th Wedding Anniversary in the Restaurant that couldn’t praise the staff enough and were absolutely thrilled with their meal and service.

I would like very much if you could please contact the hotel from Monday when our Restaurant Manager is back to discuss your comments with her directly.