“Bad Start, Good Finish” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Cork, Ireland
“Bad Start, Good Finish”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

We have just come back from a stay in this hotel. This was not our first visit, having stayed here and in the Brehon on a number of occasions before. We got a great offer through the local Credit Union for 4nights, Sun to Thurs, for €145pp. I emailed the hotel a month before our stay, to request one of the refurbished rooms, as I had read about them on TA. They replied saying they would do their best, but couldn' guarantee it. We arrived on Sunday 24th Feb and check in was quick and friendly. We were allocated a room on the 5th floor, room 544, to get to this room, we had to pass two lifts and negotiate two long corridors. I was thinking this room better be good. When we eventually got there it was a real disappointment. It was one of the old rooms, with the wall behind the bed painted royal blue! badly painted at that, and a grubby looking bedcover. We went straight back to reception and complained. We were then allocated a refurbished room on the second floor. This was a lovely room, immaculate clean and comfortable. Why they couldn't have just given us that room in the first place, I don't know! especially when we had requested it. Anyway we had a very nice stay. The food was excellent, the staff were excellent, the pool and facilities were also excellent. I loved the fact that the hotel was not overheated, which made our stay very comfortable.
We had music each night in the ballroom, which we enjoyed, although there was no music in the bar. Overall the Gleneagle is a great value hotel, provided you get the right room. We had great weather for the week and we enjoyed the stroll into Killarney town each day. We will certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a refubished room on arrival
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear Guests

I firstly wish to apologise that you felt your stay got off to a bad start, with the allocation of the rooms however I am pleased to hear that it was rectified speedily and that you got to enjoy and make the most of the rest of your stay.

Thank you for taking the time to share your overall experience and for the positive feedback on the hotel and staff. We look forward to your return in the future and should I be of any assistance please feel free to contact me.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Polish first
Cork
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Stayed for one night in December with wife and 2 kids. First impressions,The interior of the hotel looks quite jaded and worn out ( like myself:) ). However custiomer service was very good and room was very nice. Likewise evening meal and breakfast very good. Kids loved the leisure facilities. Think a little work on the interior would go a long way here, but it was a nice stay and customer service well made up for this.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for sharing your feedback , we appreciate and take on board all your comments, we are in fact after recently renovating our Lobby and Reception area and 4 floors of bedrooms and have long term redecoration plans in place for further areas in the hotel and public areas.

We hope you choose to return to us in the future and once again sincere thanks for posting your review.

Croydon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Firstly I stayed in a 2 bedroomed apartment not in the main hotel. 24th - 28th Feb 2013

The apartment was very clean and spacious. Ground Floor Apt 50

Entrance Hall was huge, ample room for my 4 year old to play with and manouvre the suitcases and buggy.

Kitchen/Lounge was open plan. 2 large leather sofa and a large dining table. Extremely comfortable with great views over the grounds. Double patio door which would be great in the summer. The kitchen was clean and well equipped, we made 2 large meals and breakfast most mornings. All the cleaning products you could wish for and the fridge was full of milk and there was plenty of tea, coffee and sugar provided. There was also a microwave. There is a utility room with a freezer and washer/dryer, dishwasher (tablets provided), ironing board and iron, bucket and mop with broom.
There was 4 adults and one child and there was ample space to relax. The TV had BBC and a version on English ITV and other chanels including a movie channels. There was a DVD player which I used for my son as the childrens channel wasn't english first thing in the morning. (So bring a few DVDs if you have kids) .

Master bedroom had 3 single beds in (but can also have 2 double beds) with and ensuite bathroom with shower, a desk, waldrobe and TV. We relised this TV had a few different channels to the main living area TV. Extremely spacious. Beautiful bathrobes and slippers as well as great toiletries. Shower caps, soap, cream, shower gel, shampoo/conditioner. Really everything you need. Also plenty of towels are provided and extra bedding and pillow in the wardrobe.

2nd Bedroom had a double bed and a single bed, waldrobe and table and desk. Extremely spacious. It also has an adjoining door to the huge bathroom with a bath and over bath shower and all the toiletries you could wish for. Bathrobes and slippers. This bathroom is also accessible from the hall.

Both bedrooms were immaculate. The apartment was warm and welcoming. So if those things are what you are looking for then this is definitely the place to book, but make sure you book the apartments.

MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:

It was my son's birthday and I told them before hand as I wanted to book a table for dinner. On arrival they knew exactly who we were at the reception, they remembered my son's name (who was 4). We were able to check into our room over 2 hours early and a present was waiting for him! At dinner the whole restaurant sang happy birthday and we had a wonderful cake with candles.

My son loved the apartment the temperature outside most morning was freezing, but you would not know that inside as it was very warm with the underfloor heating, so extremely comfortable at all times. The hotel was just a few minutes walk across a large car park and the communal lounges were very relaxing. We had lunch in one with an open fire, which was very good and well priced. They offer sandwiches, pasta, burgers, salads, all the usual bar food and a kids menu. The service was fast and they made any changes to dishes if you there was something you didn't particularly like. We also went there in the evening for Irish coffee. They did have evening entertainment that started at 9.30, so a little late for my family to stay so I can't comment on that.

We use the pool, which was warm and towels were provided, it was busy sometimes when the schools came in, but it was mainly quiet and my 4 year old loved it. The changing rooms don't have lockers but the reception will take your valuables for you and everything else is safe if you leave it in the changing room. I also used the gym each morning that has a large selection of weight and cardio equipment is adequate. There was also a soft play area next to the reception at the pool that cost €5. This was empty and we had this to ourselves. There was a kids toilet in there with teddies, books a TV and lots colouring pencils and paper, so enough to occupy a little one for over and hour.

The Brehon Spa is worth a visit and cost €10, you must call before you go over to book. Not a child friendly environment. Perfect for adults.

I have stayed at many 5 star establishment and I can honestly say the service and the staff were outstanding. They went the extra mile in everything they did, and this was across the board, from Caroline the guest relation and Christina ??? the receptionist, the waiters, the pool team, the Maitre D at dinner, the bar staff, just everyone. I found that quite amazing. The apartments are clean and spacious and such good value. I cannot comment on the hotel rooms but lounges were comfortable and clean. I will and have recommended this hotel to everyone. This is a must for Kilarney and just a 20 minute drive from Kerry Airport.

Room Tip: Ground Floor room for summer if travelling with Kids. Apt 50
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guests,

We would like to thank you emmensely for your very detailed and honest review following your recent visit and stay at the Gleneagle Riverside Apartments. Our aim to please all our customers and ensure that they have a very memorable stay, we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you again for your lovely comments and for sharing your personal experience in your review.

It was our pleasure to welcome you and your family to the hotel and certainly look forward to seeing you in the future and should I be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate in contacting me.

Many Thanks
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have stayed many times in the Gleneagle Hotel , but we stayed there after the Brendan Grace show our room was lovely & warm , the Dinning room was so cold you would need to wear a jacket we did say it to staff, all so the Lobby everyone sitting around were wearing their jackets it was like been in a train station.very disappointing this time all so the Dinner choice was very basic there was a choice of four Starters three of them were salads ?& soup. it was €20 which was ok

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
As Guest Relations Manager of The Gleneagle Hotel, I would like to express my concerns over this guest’s review. This is not a regular occurrence here and having checked back at our in house reports from the night we had over 500 people staying in the hotel and had no reports of guests being cold on this evening.

I have also discussed your comments with the Head Chef in relation to the food and this is being addressed. I wish to apologise for the fact that you did not get to fully enjoy your night and I hope that you decide to return in the future and should you wish to contact me in advance please do not hesitate and if I can be of any assistance to you it will be my pleasure.

Yours Sincerely,
Ilkley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have just spent 2 nights at the Gleneagle and had the most wonderful time. It's a big hotel, and is attached to several venues - the INEC. the Acoustic Room and the Ballroom. There are also several bars and small rooms where impromtu music sessions can be started.

Killarney is a beautiful place of course. and there are many delightful walks that can be taken from the hotel. The hotel has a shuttle bus (I didn't use it) that apparently runs between the various attractions that Killarney has to offer.

In conclusion - great hotel/ great place. What's not to like?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank chrisatobm
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Guests,

It is such a pleasure to read your review on Trip Advisor. We are so happy that you got to share and experienced what the Gleneagle is truly about and enjoy the beautiful surroundings of the hotel and discover the lovely walks and scenery.

We are very grateful and many thanks for taking the time to write your positive feedback. We hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Another great "Gathering" in the Gleneagle Hotel that lends itself so well for all the different workshops, ceili's, concerts and sessions in the many rooms and bars. For years we stayed in the aparments which are very economical for a 3 nights stay (4 people sharing) but this time we stayed in the Gleneagle Hotel room on a special offer of 2 nights B&B and 2 dinners for Euro 175 each - great value as that also included our "armband pass" for all the ceilis, workshops and concerts. There were less people (numbers have declined in recent years) hence more space for the dancing, less crowdy and safer too. The hotel staff are always exctremely curteous and a late check-out on our final day was not a problem. The food in the restaurant on both nights was superb with three courses and tea/coffee, great service, nice setting and food piping hot.
Breakfast was soso, plenty of cerial, toast, brown bread and the usual "fry" but slightly overcooked (too long in the serving hot trays I guess) and as a real coffee addict would have loved a Nespresso.
The room was nice and clean, the shower/bath good with decent pressure and a balcony so you can open the french doors (we requested an upper floor room). No noice from the bars /.music sessions could be heard as the rooms are offset in a south wing and with good carpets and room insulation we had very peaceful nights.
We'll be attending next year's Gathering for the 11th year in a row and opt for the hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guests,

I am delighted that you felt so welcome and enjoyed your stay to the maximum. This is really what the Gleneagle is all about and why we are all so proud of what we have to offer. Our goal is to ensure that our guests are our number one and that everyone enjoys themselves and we want to continue to bring positive experiences to all our guests and help them make happy memories…

The Gathering Festival is always a fantastic weekend that attracts people from all corners of the globe and where everyone is brought together by the fantastic music and atmosphere it creates.

I really appreciate your comments and I have shared your feedback with all the Department Managers.

We look forward to welcoming you again next year, until then many thanks from on behalf all the team.

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

stayed here on my first visit to killarney in october 2012 and found it to be a pleasant hotel in a scenic location on the edge of the national park. the rooms were clean and well maintained and the public areas equally so. the views from the front of the hotel were beautiful. the shuttle bus from the town centre was a welcome addition for anyone travelling by public transport (train/coach) although for anyone travelling by car the hotel is convieniently located on a main road out of the town. i would stay here if i visited killarney again

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guests,

We would like to thank you for your positive comments on your stay with us last October and are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay.

It is so nice when people take the time to share their positive comments and their experience with us. It is unfortunate that sometimes people tend to only share their negative feedback therefore it is very welcomed and we really appreciate you taking the time to post your review.

We hope you come visit us again soon.