“NEWLY REVAMPED BUT STILL HAS POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE”
Review of Gleneagle Hotel

Gleneagle Hotel
Ranked #28 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Stayed at The Gleneagle Hotel last Friday night - Rooms have been newly revamped which make a world of difference - had a great evenin at The Corona s and Bar entertainment was fantastic afterwards -HOWEVER ..... the noise level was unbelieveable all night long and the phoneline did nt work properly in the room so calling reception was difficult and judging by the conversation outside the door I wasn't going to approach the many offenders outside in the corridor who were shouting and banging on doors along the corridor ands who had what drugs in what room - on checkout I informed the receptionist about the issue of noise that went in till after 7am !!!!! and she loudly & brashly asked " did you ring down to security"- which I informed her - that the internal line was not working properly and I wasn't going to approach the situation and fix it myself to which she gave no reply - or no apology and moved onto other things on her computer- we were not the only ones with the problem as judging by the others around us in the breakfast area it was the main topic of conversation that they too were awoken all night - we had intended on returning for new years eve to the Hotel with Family as the atmosphere was lovely and other staff were very pleasant on the Friday night - but the poor customer service at reception over a very reasonable complaint changed our plans.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Dear Guests,

Following your recent visit to the Gleneagle Hotel for the Coronas and your review above on Trip Advisor outlining your disappointment and lack of sleep due to noise disruptions during the night of your stay, I wish to sympathise with you and to offer sincere apologies.

I was on duty the following morning and did in fact to speak to some other guests that had reported noise from other customers. It was very unfortunate that we had rather a lot of disturbances due to the behaviour of some other guests.
As I explained to some other guests the following morning, this is unfortunate and is sometimes out our control. We had night porters and security staff on all night and were doing regular checks on all corridors as they always do.

Security and Management did everything possible to try and get the customers involved to be quite but unfortunately we cannot control people’s behaviour and without a serious offensive being carried out the Gardai also can do nothing to prevent this or to control this behaviour.

It is a shame that a great night for so many people can lead to disappointment by the saddened and rude behaviour of other customers, but I can assure you everything possible was done to try and curtail the noise.

Please do not let this be the deciding factor on you returning to the Hotel, it is not a common occurrence and it is just so unfortunate that this noise prevented you from fully enjoying your stay. We can only apologise once again and should you ever wish to return please contact me directly and I will endeveaur to ensure you fully enjoy your next stay.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Have just had 2 night stay in Gleneagle apartments which we found to be beautiful, very spacious and spotless.Lovely hamper on arrival and milk, bread, cereals provided also, so no excuse not to be able to have breakfast if didnt come prepared!! This was our first time to be away for xmas and was so looking forward to the traditional Xmas dinner but was hugely disappointed..I am not fussy about my food whatsoever but found it to be tasteless. Am amazed to read others comments saying that the food was of a high standard,,in this instance I could not agree..It was very very basic..Great choice, our starters were beautiful, I had fettucini with mushrooms and spinach, my husband had prawns in filo pastry,,but the potatoes and veg that came with the main course was awful.....No other complaints....Staff very efficient and pleasant...

Room Tip: Apartments spotless, spacious and very warm....Had to sleep with windows open in December!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guests,

I wish to thank you for your positive comments in your review and delighted you enjoyed your stay in the Apartments and the complimentary hamper and supplies that we provide.

I am disappointed with your comments on the Christmas Dinner and surprised to hear it was not to your satisfaction. We received nothing but positive feedback about the food over the Christmas from all our guests, some have even posted reviews already on Trip Advisor about how good it was and what a high standard it was.

I believe also that you spoke to the General Manager on your departure from the hotel and expressed your concerns to him which I know he has mentioned your commetns to our Executive Chef. All we can do is apologise for the fact that it was not to your personal satisfaction.

We wish you best wishes for 2013 and hope that you decide to return one day and if there is anything we can do in the future please do not hesitate in contacting me directly.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

MY wife and I with 4 friends spent 4 nights over Christmas at the Gleneagle Hotel .
The food was of a very high standard, the staff was most friendly and helpfull.
The high light of our stay was the entertainment provided by Tony a true professional with a repetoire that was second to none.
We all hope to return next year to be entertained by this first class performer.

1  Thank francis m

Dear Frank,

Firstly I wish to thank you from all the Management & Staff here at the Hotel, we are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us this Christmas and that you found the food to be of such high standard and the staff so friendly. Christmas is a very special time of year and we always do our best each year to ensure that all our guests have a memorable experience.

Tony the Entertainer did an amazing job as always, he is very professional and puts a lot of effort into his performances always but adds a special touch for Christmas Day. Thank you for noticing this and I have already informed him of your praise which he was delighted to receive.
We wish you a very happy New Year and we hope you come visit us again in 2013…

Many thanks from all at the Gleneagle Hotel.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

My husband and I spent 4 nights over Christmas staying at the Gleneagle Hotel as part of a group organised by Ulsterbus in association with ther Hotel. The hotel was spotlessly clean and there was a definite smell of fresh pain (a notice near the lifts apologised for any inconvenience during refurbishment, but there was no work going on when we were there). The food in the dining room was a very high standard with plenty of choices. Christmas Dinner was well presented, beautifully cooked and definitely enjoyed.

We had been allocated a family room on a lowfloor to facilitate my husband's mobility issues and was perfectly situated for our requirements. The room was spotless, warm and comfortable.

A coach trip around The Ring of Kerry was organised for St Stephen's Day/Boxing Day for a small additional charge and was excellent value for money with a local guide who definitely added value to the outing.

Dear Maureen,

On behalf of all the Management and staff we wish to Thank you sincerely for taking the time to write your review and share with others the positive experience yourself, your husband & your friends experienced here for the Christmas package.

I was here myself for the Christmas I must say we received so much positive feedback and thanks from all our guests this year.
The trip on St Stephens Day was very popular this year, more so than other years and it was as you mention an added bonus to have our very informative and qualified guide Dennis Kissane to steer the tour and provide some local knowledge and history along the way he is a true gentleman along with the Driver Dirk.

We are delighted you enjoyed the food and thank you for your compliments on the quality and high standard. I will share with all the team your feedback.

I would like to wish you a very Happy New Year and we hope to welcome you back at some stage in 2013…

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Just had one night recently in Killarney and stayed once again at this hotel. Room was great, leisure facilities were tops and breakfast had many good choices. Staff all round were their usual professional and friendly selves. Will revisit in 2013.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

Thank You so much for this short review….

Sums up the Gleneagle in few lines and we are extremely grateful to you. We hope you continue to come stay with us and if we can be of any assistance at any time please do not hesitate in contacting us.

Best Wishes for 2013..

Reviewed December 17, 2012

My husband and I spent four nights at this hotel December 10-14 and would love to tell about the good a time we had there. The food , ambiance, entertainment, heat, food. activities and conveniences were second to non. The place was buzzing from the moment we entered and even though we are in our late sixties we were at all times respected and listened to.
Merry Christmas and a huge Thank you to the management and staff
Úna & Brendan Long

Room Tip: As renovations are in progress at the moment it is hard to tell if some rooms will be better than ot...
1  Thank Chrissie80

Dear Mr & Mrs Long,

Firstly we and delighted that you both enjoyed your stay so much. This hotel always has a buzz about it and it’s the customers that visit us here that help create that buzz, many of who have been visiting us for many years now.

The Management and staff are very grateful to you for sharing your feedback and we wish you both a very Happy & Healthy New Year. We hope you get the chance to return to us in 2013….

Reviewed December 12, 2012

All in all The Gleneagle came up trumps with only a few minor points to note. Arriving (as most would) from the town side, not knowing the hotel, you automatically pull into the 1st car park which caters more for the INEC & Conference side of things. we arrived when some large event was on leading us to have to park quite away from the entrance & carry bags over in the lovely Irish weather to the door, So maybe clear roadside signage directing guests to the far side would be a benefit. On arrival at reception, we were promptly warmly welcomed & checked in, the male receptionist noted our approach to the reception & apologized, realizing we had parked on the most inconvenient side of the hotel. From here everything was lovely. even though our room was an older room due to be refurbished in their ongoing programme, it was clean, comfortable & more than adequate. All members of staff in this hotel are to be congratulated on their professionalism, but with particular heed to those on the restaurant/food side of the business. The quality of food, the speed and ease of which services were turned around were unbelievably good, and in my eyes fit to be a centre of learning in "how to do it right" Some parts of the hotel look slightly dated, but hey, it is an old establishment & ongoing refurbs will get to all areas eventually. on this I must say I found the green room slightly un-atmospheric despite it's recent refurb, being large, airy with not much atmosphere & as a smoker I felt that maybe a better area for "green room smokers" than the main enterance could be provided, like the area to the other exit by O'D's Restaraunt), but that's just a personal feeling. Only drawback was it was a bit out of the town for us, (€7 Taxi fare in) but on it's own merits, very good!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2012

Dear Guests,

Many thanks to you for taking the time to write such an extensive and informative review. I wish to thank you on behalf of all the staff for your lovely comments in relation to the staff, the food and the service. I am delighted that you recognize and highlighted these and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

I am aware that some people find it confusing when arriving at the Hotel to find the entrance nearer to Reception for checking in. We have had signs erected outside highlighting the main entrance with an arrow, it is such a large building that it can be hard to judge if you are arriving for the 1st time.
Thank You again for your comments and we hope that you consider to visit us in the future (at least you know where the nearest entrance is now) and we will be here to help and welcome you.

Guest Relations Manager.