Gleneagle Hotel
Lake Hotel(Killarney)
$248
$226
Hotels.com
Eviston House Hotel(Killarney)(Great Value!)
$161
$156
$312
$294
The Ross(Killarney)
$254
  • Restaurant
1,524 results
All reviewsgreen roomflesk restaurantbackstage barulster buscaptain jackglen eaglekids clubleisure centreentertainment every nightbalcony roompitch and puttshuttle busswimming poolbusy hotelbig hotelfamily roombit dated
Reviewed October 15, 2007

A group of us from my area came back yesterday from the Gleneagle. I was afraid to go after reading some of the reviews, but had no option as it was prebooked. I dont know where some of the reviewers had stayed but it couldn't have been at the same hotel. The rooms were really nice, clean and well cared for. One or two of the public areas were a little worn but still clean. The staff were lovely and very helpful, in the main but you always get one, wherever you go, don't you? One surprise was that they did not supply tea facilities in the rooms but there was tea/coffee available in the bar nearly all day. All I can say to the other reviewers is, chill out and don't expect miracles.

• Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank oprastar
GleneagleManagement, Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2007

As General Manager I would firstly like to thank this Trip Advisor Member for taking the time to provide us with their realistic and balanced feedback. It is through reviews such as this one that we can see that the efforts we make in relation to refurbishment and improving our guest experience in the hotel are having a positive impact. In relation to the absence of tea and coffee making facilities in the bedrooms it is currently not a Bord Failte requirement for 3* hotels to provided this facility. That aside it is a concious decision on the part of the hotels management team not to put tea and coffee facilities in the room, however we do provide a complimentary service in the lounge for guests to avail.

Thanks once again to this Member for their valuable feedback and we hope to welcome them back to The Gleneagle Hotel soon.

Reviewed October 15, 2007

The room was marvelous. The hotel does not offer a tea/coffee tray for hygiene reasons which I am afraid does not wash as every other hotel we stayed in Ireland managed to offer this simple facility. The room was modern and well decorated and furnished in all other ways. It was a really good sized room and very comfortable.

Unfortunately reception was the worst I have ever encountered. Thankfully we got there just before several coaches which utterly overloaded the staff whose command of the English language (in an English speaking country) was laughable.

I had paid in advance through the site that I booked our room through but the receptionist still tried to charge me more. Only after a lengthy delay was it accepted that I had already paid (I had printed confirmation but this was not good enough for the receptionist).

Quite the worst thing was that Breakfast is not available before 8am which I find quite ridiculous. No other option was offered other than paying extra for room service. It is not as if I wanted a particularly early breakfast, I wanted to eat at 7am on a weekday. Is it really too much to ask for breakfast as 7am? Evidently so.

We had dinner at one of the restaurants in the hotel and it was excellent value and quality. The green room bar was pleasant and reasonable value as well.

We were there purely to see Riverdance at the INEC which is connected to the hotel. A fine show and worth the trip.

I will definitly go back to Killarney and would stay at this hotel again, but only if I didn't need breakfast before 8am. I would recommend shopping around for your booking though as prices vary widely. Apart from the breakfast timing issue and an incompetent reception this is a well apointed hotel in a lovely area.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mudcow
GleneagleManagement, Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2007

I would firstly like to thank this Trip Advisor Member for taking the time to provide us with their feedback. In relation to their comments on breakfast we always try to accommodate our guest’s requests. Our guest enjoyment and comfort is almost utmost in our thoughts and based on feedback posted by this Tripadvisor member and internal guest comment cards we will be reviewing our breakfast times in the near future. At the same time if a guest has an early requirement and we are informed in advance we will always cater to their needs. We would be happy to and have in the past frequently provided guests with a continental breakfast prior to 8am on request. Our reception team are quiet adept at checking in large coach groups and it in no way interferes with the check-in of individual guests. We are surprised to hear that this member experienced difficulty in communicating with our reception team as each of our receptionists has college level English. Once again I would like to thank this tripadvisor member for their comments and assure them that they have been noted.

Reviewed September 29, 2007

Not sure what to expect after reading some reviews but we were not dissapointed. the hotel was execllent. still undergoing some refurbishment in some rooms but the standard is excellent. nice restaurant, good entertainment, and very helpful and courteous staff.
I would definately stay again.

• Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank ScouseFireman
GleneagleManagement, General Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2007

As General Manager I would firstly like to thank this Trip Advisor Member for taking the time to provide us with such positive feedback. As you correctly noted the hotel is currently undergoing extensive refurbishment in the bedrooms and in public areas. As one can appreciate in a hotel which has celebrated its 50th anniversary this year, we are always looking to improve, our aim is to provide our guests with the most comfortable and enjoyable stay possible. Thanks once again to this Member for their valuable feedback and we hope to welcome them back to The Gleneagle Hotel soon

Reviewed August 31, 2007

I stayed here as part of a large conference and was very disappointed in the standard of the hotel. Firstly, myself and two colleagues were each given a smoking hotel room - although we are all non-smokers. The rooms really stank of smoke so we asked to change, however the hotel was full so we had to stay two nights in the smoking rooms before we all got non-smoking rooms. The rooms were very shabby - the smoking rooms more so than the non-smoking. Apparently after the 1st of September, all rooms will be non smoking so perhaps they are waiting to upgrade the rooms then?

The bathrooms were not great with mould and mildew featuring in the bath area. I was also not impressed with breakfast - there was a very limited selection of items and no fresh fruit.

The leisure complex was ok, with a large selection of machines in the gym, but there were no lockers so any belongings had to be left with staff at the gym which seemed a little strange.

The Gleneagle has a sister hotel about 300 metres away (The Brehon) which was far superior and not much more expensive. If I had known before I left I would definitely have booked into the Brehon instead and paid the extra.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Berec
Reviewed August 10, 2007

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
GleneagleManagement, Management at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2007