“Great place to stay”

Ranked #28 of 140 Killarney B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed November 15, 2006

Great sized room and bathroom! Lots of space including a lounge to sit on. Had a spa bath with shower in the bathroom.
Breakfast was really good - a selection of cereal or yoghurt, followed by a choice of hot meals.
Didnt notice any noise from the street, considering it was right in the middle of town. The staff were polite, but not friendly or particularly helpful.
Would definately stay here again. Good location to do Ring of Kerry too.

• Liked — The location, the size of the rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank teamsarge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Hebrew first
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2006

I booked a 3 night stay at this hotel after a mammoth search of various others on search engines over the net, after getting an absolute bargain on a flight from Liverpool to Kerry with Ryanair - £100.00 including taxes for 3 of us!!! It had been a surprise for my husband's 30th birthday and the trip coincided with the celebration of my son's third birthday

Moira on Reception is an absolute treasure and went out of her way to help on every single occasion. Emails flew backwards and forwards until I'd satisfied myself that I'd like to go ahead and book. Moira was so patient with me, provided fantastic information and even went so far as to help me book an excursion to the Three Lakes of Killarney (be prepared for a bumpy ride on the horse and cart if you don't want to walk the several miles between drop off points!) to take place on my son's birthday. She's a credit to the Townhouse!!!!

On arrival, it was clear to see I'd picked a centrally located hotel in a beautiful town. However, it was not at all noisy at night and I would definitely recommend it's location.

The hotel itself was absolutely pristine! All of the public areas, as well as the rooms, were fantastically clean. If I recall correctly, it had not long been refurbished. Walking into an older building and seeing a totally minimalist, modern room would just look ridiculous, but the hotel had been refurbished very sympathetically, which was lovely to see. The beds were comfortable and there was sufficient space in our triple room for my family.

There is a lovely little bar area and, adjacent to it, a comfortable lounging area with settees, perfect for sitting to read the morning paper after breakfast. The hotel's public toilets are a hop, skip and a jump away from here and again, they were kept in pristine condition, fully stocked at all times.

Breakfast was fantastic - a great choice of hot dishes, freshly made, and even "proper" coffee (none of your instant stuff!), excellent for those suffering the after effects of the night before!!!

We did eat dinner at the hotel the first evening - it was just less hassle with the little one. As non-fish eaters (this hotel is meant to be renowned for it's seafood, and my son was mesmorised by the lobster tank in the bar!), we didn't find a particularly wide range of food to suit, plus we found the menu particularly expensive for the food we were served. Don't get me wrong, the chops I had were delicious, but I considered them very overpriced. There are however many other more reasonable places to eat in Killarney and I would definitely recommend, for the sake of your pocket, to explore and find something better to suit.

As I said before, Moira on Reception is an absolute star! Her and her colleagues will help you to arrange one of the several excursions available to book if you so wish to do so - I would recommend at least one as I think we'd have been a little bored without our day trip. I would say they are reasonable value for money - a little mini bus will come and pick you up directly outside the hotel, take you to the main meeting point, and then drop you back off again at the end of the trip, at no extra charge on top of the cost of the excursion, which was fantastic for us with a very young son.

The only thing stopping me from rating Foley's Townhouse as excellent is the waiting-on staff at breakfast and dinner. Most of them are foreign and whilst they do speak English, they didn't want to make conversation at all, never smiled and were particularly miserable. In my view, this is the only thing that lets down the hotel.

However, in spite of this, I would definitely recommend this hotel and, should I ever venture back to Killarney in the future, would ALWAYS book to stay at Foley's Townhouse.

• Liked — It's location, cleanliness, comfort and value for money.
  • Disliked — The miserable waiting-on staff - guys, it costs nothing to smile, give it a try!!!!
  • Tips/Secrets — Speak to Moira - she's extremely knowledgeable and will be able to assist you with any information you require or plans you wish to make.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank Totally_Frazzled!
Riverside, CA
Reviewed September 20, 2006

The best stay of our trip. Nice room. Centrally located. The breakfast was simply wonderful. I wish I could have stayed longer.

• Liked — The atmosphere
  • Disliked — Load street.
  • Tips/Secrets — ask to stay away from the street.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
nyc
Reviewed July 8, 2006

A basic room in a basic hotel. We did not experience the staff to be helpful at all. They were pleasant but not much help about anything (seemed that one was new and one didn't speak English).

We were definately kept awake by the street noise so take that into consideration when booking a room here.

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank dwm5
Northport, Long Island, NY USA
Reviewed June 19, 2006

Traveled with family, booked two rooms. They were quite nice rooms, very comfortable. Our plan was to stay two nights. However, on the first day our father took ill. The lady of the house was extremely helpful providing us detailed directions to Tralee Hospital. Seems Dad's pacemaker was not working proper. The doctors stabilized him and we were back to the Foley House within 4 or 5 hours. The care and concern were second to none. Wonderful wonderful people and a great place to stay. Can't wait to go back and thank them again in person. - Northport, Long Island - USA

• Stayed August 2005