“Wonderful”
Review of Arbutus Hotel

Arbutus Hotel
Ranked #13 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed for two nights and really had a great time. Staff were really friendly and helpful. Hotel was spotless. Breakfast was impressive and a special mention to Betty who looked after us very well both mornings.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TheArbutusBuckleys, Owner at Arbutus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Niall,

Thank you for your visit and also for your lovely review.

It is ever so rewarding for us to see guests say that they had a great time and that The Arbutus is simply “WONDERFUL”.

Friendly and helpful staff, hotel spotless, impressive breakfasts and being looked after by Betty.

We think that Mayo will do well in the football this year and are viewing them as our main opposition. Hopefully it will be a good championship and the best team will win.

We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Killarney and The Arbutus soon.

Seán

Write a ReviewReviews (1,496)

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We had a great stay a this hotel. Would highly recommend this property. My only problem was at check out I was charged what I feel was a high fee for an extra person in my room.. The morning meal was very good. The hotel was very clean. the night club was on the lower level, and very quite in the room we were in Over all it was a great place to stay

Room Tip: room 132 was great
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TheArbutusBuckleys, Manager at Arbutus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Rob,

Thank you very much for your review and apologies for not replying sooner, I am sure I had but may have said something in it that Tripadvisor deemed to be unsuitable and so did not publish my reply, they have very stringent and high standards.

Delighted to see that you enjoyed your time at the Arbutus and that you WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS PROPERTY and that Over all it was a great place to stay, but we do not have a night club in The Arbutus at all.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

The Arbutus Hotel in Killarney has a wonderful history and is still run by the family. The hotel is immaculate, lovingly kept, like a cherished heirloom. Loved the stay in the center of Killarney town. Marvelous old hotel, very charming, lovingly maintained and the ONLY place to stay while in County Kerry. We cherish the memory of our stay there! The hotel is Old World Charming! No other like it. A treasure!

Room Tip: We stayed in the newer rooms but they are all the same, just lovely!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
TheArbutusBuckleys, Grandson of the founders at Arbutus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Jean,

Thank you for your beautiful and thoughtful review. It really means a lot to us what you said.

We are truly delighted to see how much you enjoyed your time at our little hotel and we are delighted with your accolade that THE ARBUTUS IS THE ONLY PLACE TO STAY WHILE IN KERRY.

When my grandparents established the hotel in 1926 they had a very clear vision as to the kind of hotel that they wanted The Arbutus to be and in the 60s my parents continued that tradition and now today as the 3rd generation of the family to be involved in the hotel, I feel not only a duty to those that went before but also to maintain it as an option for future generations. The Arbutus is indeed that cherished heirloom that you speak of, I am the current custodian and the most important role in “minding” the heirloom is to take care of all its lovely visitors. Stephen Covey in his book talks of Live, Love, Learn and Legacy. I live in the Arbutus, I love my role at the Arbutus, I learn something new every day and one of the legacies I hope to leave is the Arbutus in good shape and with a strong list of happy past customers.

A little story about an Arbutus teapot that I think you will appreciate.
This week I was looking for some teapots to add to those that we already have, that my Grandmother bought in the 1930s. To buy similar ones today they would cost over $500 each, very expensive indeed but it was probably as expensive when the originals were bought relative to what we charge for a pot of tea today. It set my mind thinking and then I did some calculations, I reckoned that each teapot in the hotel is used about 10 times a day, 200 days a year and the pots that Granny bought have been in active service for nearly 80 years. That comes up with a grand total of circa 160,000 pots of tea to date and the teapot is still as good today as the day it was bought, except for a little wear and tear where the name of the hotel is monogrammed and I think that that is due to my Grandmother giving that spot an extra rub of love every time she polished it. Granny who had a great eye for the “Good thing” used to say that if you bought quality and looked after it well, you would always get value. I doubt very much if she thought when she bought the teapot that it might have over 80 years of serving tea and earn nearly $500,000 and still earning today, a nice little heirloom to leave your descendant
!

Thank you again for your visit and your review.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

My wife and I brought our six month old baby to the Arbutus and had a very enjoyable experience. The staff were extremely helpful and were extremely accomodating. We were given an enormous room with plenty of space for all the baby’s kit and kaboodle. Breakfast was really top quality (If you stay there make sure you pick up some of the homemade ginger bread for breakfast). I must say also that Betty who works there was an excellent hostess and made us and the baby feel more than welcome. We'll definitely be making a return visit.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TheArbutusBuckleys, Owner at Arbutus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

ScubaNinja,
Thank you for your lovely review and apologies for the delay in replying, truth is we have been very busy, thankfully.

We are delighted that you found the Arbutus to be your Home away from home in Killarney and we hope that you will be making your return visit soon.

Thanks again,

Reviewed April 22, 2013

From the moment we checked in, we felt the warmth and friendliness of the staff surrounded by old world charm. The room was spacious and very comfortable. Breakfast was delicious and served in a lovely relaxed atmosphere. Excellent value- highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed: March 2013
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TheArbutusBuckleys, Family at Arbutus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Shoare,
Thank you so much for your lovely review and for the recommendation.
We are very pleased to see that you felt the warmth and friendliness the moment that you arrived and that the delicious breakfast you enjoyed was served in a lovely relaxed atmosphere. It is possibly the most important and the most difficult thing for a hotel to describe in it’s promotional material, brochures and websites and yet it is one of the most important factors. Location, the hotel, it’s services and it’s ambience/atmosphere.
“A true treasure of old world charm in the heart of Killarney”, when my grandparents started The Arbutus over 86 years ago they had a clear vision of what they wanted to offer and from your review I am delighted to see that we are still delivering on their initial promises. Charm, comfortable rooms, delicious food, a relaxed atmosphere and above all offering EXCELLENT VALUE.

Thanks again for staying with us and for sharing with others your experience and highly recommending us. Very much appreciated.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for a night in March,I couldnt speak highly enough of the welcome we recieved on arrival from the staff. We were giving complimentary tea and coffee in the beautiful lobby as well as a bottle of wine. The staff couldnt do enough for us. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Free parking behind the hotel.The breakfast was very tasty with a wide choice. Location of the hotel was ideal and within walking distance to pubs restaurants and shops. A worthwile visit!

• Stayed: March 2013

Jean,

We are delighted that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your time at the Arbutus and that it was a worthwhile visit.

We are very fortunate indeed with our location but without doubt it is the team that has developed over the years that is the UPB. They all take such pride in their work, it is so rewarding when we get compliments and comments like yours, a big THANKS from all.

We hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Slán

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Just back from a fabulous stay at the Arbutus hotel in Killarney, A fantastic hotel, wonderful staff, a special Thank You to Sean, Betty and Michelle for making our visit such a memorable experience. The hotel is perfectly situated for a Killarney break, warm friendly staff, lovely bedroom and the quality of the food is second to none. We look forward to a return visit soon. Would highly recommend this Hotel to anyone looking for a break away.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Vivienne,

Thank you very much for your lovely review.

It was a pleasure to meet with you and your friend and we are delighted that you had a fabulous time on what we hope will be the first of many visits to The Arb.

A fantastic hotel, with wonderful warm & friendly staff, perfectly situated, lovely bedroom and the quality of the food is second to none. Along with breakfast being served until 11.00 every morning.

"Would highly recommend this Hotel to anyone looking for a break away."

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards,